Apple alone now holds 10% of all US corporate cash

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Or, in the words of Michael Dell: "I’d shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders".

Or in this case, "I’d shut it down and give the money back to the taxpayers".

Step one is complete, but that next step is tricky.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Apple to subsidize U.S. Government."

Oh, how I'd pay to see that headline...

Subsidize the US Government?  No...that would be an exercise in futility.  How about Apple *running* the government as a business?  Within a decade China would be borrowing money from us, the State Of The Union would be replaced by a Keynote presentation by Tim, Craig, Phil, and maybe an accounting gnome, and we'd all get Thanksgiving week off...with pay.

• Reply 23 of 66
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    There is nothing you can do about iHaters, they have a mental affliction. You are projecting a societal mind set (envy of others doing better to put it simply) that doesn't fit in this case.

For the most part, average normal people that use Apple products come from all walks of life and represent all financial levels from the wealthy to the less well off. I don't believe amongst them you would find too many people feeling as you describe. I believe most people that love Apple products are happy to see Apple do well regardless of their personal financial levels.

As I say, those that cling to their PC built from parts at radio shack or their Android (because they were Microsoft lovers and Apple haters and MS don't have a mobile device they like) etc … the hate about Apple's success, be it iO7 adoption rates, money in the bank or Safari's total domination world wide … these things seem to make them crazy. I love it! :)

The best revenge is indeed success. With Apple's success I can enjoy some revenge myself vicariously.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    danielsw wrote: »
    Tim Cook has said repeatedly that Apple is a products company, plain and simple. If they became a financial institution all of a sudden that would be diametrically opposed to being a products company. Doesn't make any sense at all

Not necessarily. They could become like MC or Visa, which are competing services that work with an innumerable financial institutions, or Apple could be an intermediary between one or both of them as a way to build off their already prolific store of credit cards and mobile devices being used. This would strengthen their device sales, the way their current cloud services help to sell and link their device sales.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Tim Cook has said repeatedly that Apple is a products company, plain and simple. If they became a financial institution all of a sudden that would be diametrically opposed to being a products company. Doesn't make any sense at all

My meaning was as in financing the sale of their own products. Not diametrically opposed to being a products company at all IMHO. I wasn't meaning a conventional bank. Also the VC option as mentioned above is another excellent roll they could perform.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The best revenge is indeed success. With Apple's success I can enjoy some revenge myself vicariously.

Me too :)

Is anyone else getting a Safari crash when posting to this blog? I am using 10.8.5 and Safari 6.1.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Lend money to the US Govt. is that safe?

If they have any T-bills, they've already done that.

Whether it's safe is anyone's guess, but I would venture that there still aren't too many safer investments.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    No, that was a budget surplus, not a financial one. We haven’t been out of debt for decades.

Exactly, we just didn't need to borrow money for a brief period.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Is anyone else getting a Safari crash when posting to this blog? I am using 10.8.5 and Safari 6.1.

When posting or when editing posts? That used to happen on the latter for me (they seem to have fixed it now), but Mavericks and Safari 7.

• Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:

I keep wondering why Apple doesn't become a bank? Not a conventional one as such but a new kind of digital one (as only Apple can dream up). They are the most trusted /best know/ most admired / highest value brand / highest customer satisfaction … and so on … company on Earth (except for the iHaters), have more money than most countries and more credit card numbers than anyone else on the web. They have fingerprint verification and stores in the high street if needed.

Brilliant! I wish they would, too! I detest the big banks, insurance companies, cellphone providers and cable companies. Apple is one of the few companies I trust along with Toyota and Honda.  For some reason, I can't think of any others! :)

• Reply 31 of 66
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple should buy Dell just to shut it down. How do you like them apples, Mike.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I take your point but Ford, GM, Chrysler all had financing arms. I know a car purchase is way bigger than a computer but Apple could become an online bank very easily. They could call it Apple iBank. They could give a free toaster with a new account. Errr I mean, a free iPod Shuffle! A (product) RED Shuffle!   :)

• Reply 33 of 66
    don108don108 Posts: 79member

Does that $147 billion include just the money Apple has in the U.S., or does it also include money held overseas in order to dodge paying its fair share of taxes?

• Reply 34 of 66
    I take your point but Ford, GM, Chrysler all had financing arms. I know a car purchase is way bigger than a computer but Apple could become an online bank very easily. They could call it Apple iBank. They could give a free toaster with a new account. Errr I mean, a free iPod Shuffle! A (product) RED Shuffle!   :)

There's already an Apple Bank so Apple iBank might be too similar.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    don108 wrote: »
    Does that $147 billion include just the money Apple has in the U.S., or does it also include money held overseas in order to dodge paying its fair share of taxes?

It's all their money, all the other companies have money overseas as well.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Their product would be money. They print it, as is.

You could be joking, in which case, ha ha.

But if you're not, money is NOT a product. It's nothing more than idea backed by confidence. That confidence used to be backed by precious metals, but thanks to the Federal Reserve, that confidence can be rather easily manipulated--unless you put your CONFIDENCE in a company like Apple--a PRODUCTS company--which makes PRODUCTS (Product=a finished, high quality service or article in the hands of the consumer as an exchange for a valuable) very well, which products we have used for decades to produce our own products which have established our own prosperity.

• Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Bad idea. A major factor in Apple's power and success is its focus on its mission which does NOT include mucking around with money and finance. Leave that to the truly greedy money manipulators who produce NOTHING of substance.

• Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Bring Elon Musk on board, heck, Dean Kamen as well, and fund some real "think different" ideas and do some real transformational stuff.

Edit: Ray Ozzie, too. I could go on and on. 

I agree with you that Apple's board is due for a serious overhaul. A bunch of has-beens, really.

Musk and Kamen -- maybe. Ray Ozzie, though? No.

I think they should add someone from outside the US to the board.

• Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Quote:

I keep wondering why Apple doesn't become a bank? Not a conventional one as such but a new kind of digital one (as only Apple can dream up). They are the most trusted /best know/ most admired / highest value brand / highest customer satisfaction … and so on … company on Earth (except for the iHaters), have more money than most countries and more credit card numbers than anyone else on the web. They have fingerprint verification and stores in the high street if needed.

Brilliant! I wish they would, too! I detest the big banks, insurance companies, cellphone providers and cable companies. Apple is one of the few companies I trust along with Toyota and Honda.  For some reason, I can't think of any others! :)

Do you have sense of all the hundreds of new regulations that would befall them overnight?

Apple shouldn't go anywhere near something like that. It would be strategic stupidity.

• Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

About two-thirds of the money is outside the US. And rightly so.

It is all after-tax cash. Apple 'dodges' no taxes. Not a cent. They have paid their 'fair share' of taxes where and when they are required to, including in the US. They are the single largest tax-paying corporation in the US.