Samsung scrambled to finish Galaxy Gear smart watch & beat Apple's rumored 'iWatch' to market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Since Kasper's Automated Slave is just regurgitating a press release, I hope someone in the mainstream press will call out Samsung on what is clearly a puff piece crafted to claim superiority in manufacturing. The Gear fiasco points to the huge missing pieces in their operation:  insight/intuition and design (all aspects).

Hah...I noticed the same thing just a few seconds after you.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that was a puff piece.

• Reply 22 of 63
    Funny i
    zeos wrote: »
    Hey Apple Insider, quit placing Chevrolet ads over the top of your articles. Your readers/customers shouldn't have to maneuver around these ads to read the articles. You already have enough ads on your site. It already takes forever to load due to all of your ads. That is mistreating your customers. That's very low!
    don't get any adds at all and I am running iOS 7
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quantity over quality is what samsung is full off. The amount of adverts to also goes for the same.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member

It seems to me that being first into a market that Apple enters later is often a less than optimum decision. If I recall correctly, Apple did not make the first laptop or portable computer, Apple did not make the first portable music player, Apple did not make the first smart phone, nor did they make the first tablet. And, they did not make the first smart watch...

• Reply 25 of 63
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Beside the technical failings, it still incumbent upon aesthetics, and that's the hard part. People care even if they only wear jeans and a t-shirt, about what they wear. Especially if it costs 300 bucks. Gear is neither causal, nor elegant, I don't know what demographic it is aimed at, or who would feel comfortable wearing that contraption, much less use it.

• Reply 26 of 63
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    "We put all things together and said let's just go for it,"

This approach explains a lot.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    melgross wrote: »
    I've been saying the same thing as this article since the watch was first mentioned. We could see this strategy with their voice

melgross! Your here! Where have you been? Missed you my friend!
  • Reply 28 of 63
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The device has since been widely panned in reviews, with critics pointing to its high price point, limited functionality, and poor battery life.

See what happens when you "scramble to finish" a product in a segment you *think* Apple might be entering?

You end up with Galaxy Gear, Notion Ink Adam, Fusion Garage Joo Joo, HP Windows Slate, etc.

Yeah, I know.  Hard to remember what some of those products were.  It's been almost 4 years. 

Here's a refresher: http://technologizer.com/2011/09/30/ipad-alternatives-3/ 

Being first mover is an advantage only if you're entering a commodity market and/or if you have the best product.

Just dumping a mediocre product onto the "smartwatch" market might get a few early adopter sales.

But not the mass market.  And the mass market is where the money is at.

I doubt Apple feels any pressure to rush a "smartwatch" to market.  I think Apple is perfectly willing to

let the wannabes make their glaring mistakes in public, take the time to refine and polish "iWatch" 1.0,

ship it with several killer features, build in frameworks for developing future killer features, and make sure

it's not just a wrist-mounted second-screen and remote control for iPhone.

The problem with the "wrist-mounted second-screen and remote control for iPhone" concept is that it's boring.

It fixes only one issue: the need to pull your iPhone out of your pocket to use any of its features.

Zero "wow" factor and the novelty of seeing info from your iPhone on your wrist will wear off in 5 minutes.

So how could an iWatch make itself stand out from the crowd?  I think it needs to be useful

as a standalone device, like an iPod nano.  And I think it needs a stripped-down version of iOS,

a next-gen version of the M7 chip, multi-day battery life (with possible solar and/or mechanical power "assist").

iOS will be necessary not so much for of its ability to run 3rd party apps, but for Siri.

Apple might follow the Apple TV model for iWatch: just a few select built-in apps, no "iWatch app store."

And I think wireless earbuds will be necessary. Ever try jogging on a trail with an iPod nano on a wrist strap

with conventional earbuds?  If you have, you've probably had the earbuds ripped out of your ears when a branch

snagged the cord.  Not fun at all.  Trust me.

?All the components seem to be more or less in place.  The low-power always-on M7, BlueTooth low energy, 

and maybe even OLED screen technology, are all ready for Apple to use in some kind of iWatch product.

Here's the Bluetooth SIG's page on Bluetooth low energy in the "Sports & Fitness" market:

http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Sports-Fitness-Market.aspx

• Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

Yeah, and how did that work out for them? They've had crappy reviews on a horrid product.

... but they were FIRST!!!

• Reply 30 of 63
    It's a good thing Shamsung went first with this one. At least Apple will have some before and after evidence when they sue they after they U-turn on their designs after Apple shows them how to do it.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    I think Shin believes he's the new Jobs. Don't believe the (self-delusional) hype.

The more you lack in confidence, the more desperate you are to be perceived as the "next big thing."
  • Reply 32 of 63
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

Actually, I'm not sure that Samsung can claim that they were first. What about the Pebble? They can claim that the did a "smart" watch (can we even call it that) before Apple did. Of course that's assuming Apple is even doing one and I'm not convinced that they are. The whole watch thing may have never been in Apple's plans at all.

Whatever Apple does, you know damn well that Samsung will release something markedly similar in short order.

• Reply 33 of 63
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Who the fsck did they survey that said they want a camera on their wrist?
  • Reply 34 of 63

Oh surprise, surprise. 

Gee, just like them "touting" their gold Same-sungs?  

Bottom line, I think Apple strengthened its place as a premium product and not necessarily the bigger screen market, yet.  Personally love the the 5s, also got myself a 5c just to play around with and keep my s nice and clean...

• Reply 35 of 63
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Where's the pride in being first to rush a piece of sh** to market. Now Apple will come out with one and make Samsung's look like a toy.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Where's the pride in being first to rush a piece of sh** to market. Now Apple will come out with one and make Samsung's look like a toy.

No. Apple just said it was going to develop a watch to see what Samsung would do.

• Reply 37 of 63
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

No. Apple just said it was going to develop a watch to see what Samsung would do.

Thanks for your opinion.

• Reply 38 of 63
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

We all know that Apple's modus operendi has been to quietly observe the failings of others, then create their own vision of the product that avoids the pitfalls and exceeds expectations.

Now they may be taking that strategy to a new level. Not enough bad products out there to analyze? Poke the hornets nest with the stick of a rumored iWatch, sit back and watch the fun.

iWatch late next year thanks to Samsung's unwitting participation in Apple's product testing and evaluation program

Especially when it turns out that iWatch has nothing to do with wearable technology and is something related to their TV product. 

I'd love for this to be the case and watch Apple sitting back and laughing at Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google, etc spending all of these resources trying to get a wearable device while taking their eye off the TV prize. Although, many have tried to do something "new" in TV after the Jobs biography and nothing really came of it either. Not much has changed in that landscape. 

As far as Apple's Interest and hiring of various people related to wearable technology, it may not be for the reasons we and other competitors think.  It could be more about making existing products add ways to make other wearable technology interact better (i.e. motion co-processor) or could be that Apple wants to use this technology for a specific device segment (Medical) or for creation of other devices (remote, game controller, etc) that interact with current products (ATV, iPhone, Ipad, etc). 

• Reply 39 of 63
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Btw, that CNet article absolutely reads like a paid advertorial. It probably isn't as obvious as that, but I bet it's something like "Hey CNet, we will give you exclusive interviews with all our top guys if you write a positive article about the Gear's development". And while even CNet isn't going to stoop as low as to call the turd that is this "smart"watch a decent product, they made it about Samsung, and how impressive they were in quickly delivering this (crap) product.

More like "Which one of you hack journalists wants to attend a product launch in Hawaii, flying first class with an unlimited bar tab?"

"The 'launch' will take half an hour, you'll be there for three days."

• Reply 40 of 63
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Apple should release the rumour of an iToilet into the wild, and see how fast Samsung announces theirs. This goes for Google, Microsoft and Sony as well! SamGooMicroSo should form a consortium and call it Mee2.

Already been done.  Already been hacked =)  Lol it plays music for you and can be flushed remotely.  wtf?  Hmmm.  I'm nowhere near it, but I think my toilet needs a good flush right now.  Would be a novelty gag when you have visitors :p

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/08/06/smart-toilet-hack/2622723/

I'd set mine up like the toilets in 'Portal' so any time you flush them they say 'Thank you for your business.'