Asus, HTC, LG and other Android licensees join Samsung in faking test results

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    Is this an Apple blog? Lol. No problem you convinced me with your bias reports only iPhone is the best phone ever! Is it true that the new iPhone has a fake 64bit CPU manufactured by Samsung ? If Samsung is faking benchmarks so does it mean all the benchmarks for the iPhone 5S are fake too?
  • Reply 42 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stylorouge View Post

Is this an Apple blog? Lol. No problem you convinced me with your bias reports only iPhone is the best phone ever! Is it true that the new iPhone has a fake 64bit CPU manufactured by Samsung ? If Samsung is faking benchmarks so does it mean all the benchmarks for the iPhone 5S are fake too?

Butthurt Fandroid is butthurt. Gonna have to find something else to wank to then your phony benchmark numbers?

• Reply 43 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Go to MacRumors.

I like that; it rolls off the keyboard better than the place with fire and brimstone.

• Reply 44 of 141
    I
    sog35 wrote: »
    These tests are stupid.  The Galaxy S4 suppose to be blazing fast.  But in the real world it lags big time.

From early reports it looks like even the Note3 lags! lol. losers
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2453680&page=4
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2438208

I don't care how fast your cpu is, if your software sucks you suck.

Micro-stutter: when the UI momentarily and abruptly stops during a scrolling operation (even if it's only for a couple of milliseconds). Micro-stutter interrupts what would otherwise be a smooth and fluid scrolling experience.

What causes micro-stutters? The simple answer is "jank": Problematic blocking of a software application's user interface due to slow operations. In order to maintain smoothness and fluidity in a UI, it is now generally acknowledge that a consistent 60 frames per second is needed. What this means is you have to complete all computations for everything that needs to be rendered in a single frame within 16.6 milliseconds. Failure to do so will result in "jank" (also referred to as "micro-stutter", or "frame-skip").

Firstly, I suspect (again, I'm not an Android expert) that since Android is a virtualized environment (that uses the DVM, or Dalvik Virtual Machine), it struggles to perform computations fast enough in order to complete computations within the required 16.6 milliseconds. This is why smoothness on Android devices is always second rate compared to platforms that run code natively. No matter what arguments are put forward, "native" always performs better that "virtualized".

Secondly, it looks like there's something fundamentally wrong with Android's architecture when it comes to the touch paradigm (which is now standard on just about every smartphone platform). The UI should be running in it's own non-blocking thread. No network or disk/storage operations should interfere with whatever the UI is doing (including UI inputs etc). This is not the case on Android - you can see the UI stutter wherever "lazy loading" is implemented (one example: the Play Store - stutter occurs when network operation is executed).

Thirdly, Android doesn't appear to use the GPU for screen rendering throughout the platform. From what I can remember, developers can set this within an applications manifest.xml file. I have no idea why any architect would choose to use the CPU rather than the GPU for rendering operations. In any event, you can see the difference in some applications by going into the Developer Options and turning on "Force GPU rendering". and then repeating the steps for testing the Engadget app mentioned in one of my previous posts in this thread. Scrolling is much, much smoother, but janking (micro-stutters) still occur.
    I been actively investigate this (I build apps) the problem is several fold, from what I found so far. VM is one bottleneck, all this people rave about java - they fail to mention, nobody in the right mind to use java for front end. It's all in the backend. Twitter recently move from Ruby on Rail to Java , but they didn't code in Java! They code in Scala and the majority of the gain come from Scala can run concurrent task, parallel computation. So I doubt java is really doing major revamp.

Now CPU / GPU. It's true you can set in config file - but this just plain stupid! iOS is managing all this thing on the system level. We don't need to care about it. And it's a well known fact Android (until 4.1 I believe) couldn't handle multi-core CPU correctly. It simple doesnt know what to do.

That's what I find so far.
  • Reply 45 of 141
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    jack baker wrote: »
    Notice the similarity? American companies such as Apple and Google have a higher ethical standard and Asian companies lie and cheat regularly. Different cultures.

Kudos for being an unapologetically racist ass.
  • Reply 46 of 141
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    jack baker wrote: »
    Notice the similarity? American companies such as Apple and Google have a higher ethical standard and Asian companies lie and cheat regularly. Different cultures.

Out of curiosity which one of the sociopathic white-supremacist assholes from Breaking Bad do you most resemble in appearance?
  • Reply 47 of 141
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Double post yet only submitted once. Sorry.

Addendum.

But since I yam here already: kudos to Google (spit) for at least trying to set some standards for its fellow gangsters. Samsung no learny, no copy. image

I would just say Google was not smart enough to cheat, or I give them credit that the just following apples lead which it is no longer about bits and byte and MHz and GHz. it about the overall experience and most people could care less about the benchmark test. I think the benchmark companies are more upset than anyone else since the sanctity of what they do has some how been soiled.

But really, it is no different than teaching to the test you have to pass. We have an entire generation of kids coming out of schools today who have been taught it is okay to learn only what you will be tested on.

• Reply 48 of 141
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member

I'm probably missing something here, but if the chip will run fast, regardless of a use case or not, the test represents a raw test of processing power. How is that cheating? Someone could write an app that would run just as fast as the test runs. 

Sure, the test is not a real use case, but if it runs that fast, then it's why should it be dumbed or slowed down?

• Reply 49 of 141
    abarryabarry Posts: 31member
    @Jack Baker: seems like you subscribe to the 'clash of civilizations' theory. Being from the East, I feel sorry for your worldview.

BTW, it's not Google but Motorola (and it has made just one Android product after Google acquisition) that has been lauded.

Google not only copied the iOS, changing their 'Blackberry-copy' handset to an 'iPhone-copy' one as soon as the iPhone was introduced. Mr. Schmidt, an American, who sat on Apple's Board before being kicked out, fed the progress of development of the iPhone to Google. In addition, Google has been proven guilty of tapping Wi-Fi during their street view mapping, and recently of hacking Gmail accounts?

If you want me to go further: Are you aware that numerous treaties that US made with the native Indians were reneged? The 'Trail of Tears'? The treatment of blacks before 1960s? I could go on an on. Does this make Americans treacherous, untrustworthy, and opportunistic?

Moral:
    1. Cheaters can be found anywhere.
    2. Ethical people/organizations can be found anywhere.
    3. Americans are usually loud, assertive, boisterous, and misguided.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    kkerst wrote: »
    I'm probably missing something here, but if the chip will run fast, regardless of a use case or not, the test represents a raw test of processing power. How is that cheating? Someone could write an app that would run just as fast as the test runs. 

Sure, the test is not a real use case, but if it runs that fast, then it's why should it be dumbed or slowed down?

I thought the article was clear, but apparently not. It's not that the chips aren't capable of being faster it's that the benchmarks are used to compare results are dynamically adjusting the clock rate which means increasing the power threshold to maximize performance when certain tests are detected. This is artificial because the system does not run like this outside of those tests. Why not? Because it's a huge drain on the battery (and a slight chance of degrading the internal components and/or causing them to shutdown due to excess heat).
  • Reply 51 of 141
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mikejones wrote: »
    Fandroids routinely trot around benchmark numbers to pump up their self esteem against the "sheeple" that buy iPhones.  Any time some new generic Android phone #32343 is released they are all furiously hitting F5 on their favorite websites to see the benchmark numbers that they can use to crow about.  Now that it's shown that most of the companies are cheating at these benchmarks we are hearing all these excuses about "everyone does it!!" and "no one buys on benchmarks!!", etc etc.

You forgot - they also use special versions of Android that eliminate all background tasks and limit functionality to gain a few more percent on the score.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abarry View Post

@Jack Baker: seems like you subscribe to the 'clash of civilizations' theory. Being from the East, I feel sorry for your worldview.

BTW, it's not Google but Motorola (and it has made just one Android product after Google acquisition) that has been lauded.

Google not only copied the iOS, changing their 'Blackberry-copy' handset to an 'iPhone-copy' one as soon as the iPhone was introduced. Mr. Schmidt, an American, who sat on Apple's Board before being kicked out, fed the progress of development of the iPhone to Google. In addition, Google has been proven guilty of tapping Wi-Fi during their street view mapping, and recently of hacking Gmail accounts?

If you want me to go further: Are you aware that numerous treaties that US made with the native Indians were reneged? The 'Trail of Tears'? The treatment of blacks before 1960s? I could go on an on. Does this make Americans treacherous, untrustworthy, and opportunistic?

Moral:

1. Cheaters can be found anywhere.

2. Ethical people/organizations can be found anywhere.

3. Americans are usually loud, assertive, boisterous, and misguided.

you're stating a lot of things as fact there...

So I'd like to see evidence of...

A: Google copying iOS...a copy, not an inspiration...a full on copy.

B: This oft repeated Eric Schmidt super spy narrative that no one from Apple has said anything abou...not even the late great and holds his tongue for not even the US President Steve Job...or anyone who works there.

C: While you worded it to make it sound like Lex Luthor was guilty, this is technically true.

D: Hacking Gmail accounts? Evidence please.

I hate when I see people CONSTANTLY spitting false facts about Apple and Steve Jobs and Xerox and other stuff. Or when Apple's clearly inspired though not copied Notification Center is called a copy of Android's...etc. And from my reading this site I can tell most of the people here who aren't trolls hate when those false facts are constantly repeated too....

then you go and lie like the rest being no better than them.

Also do you guys really think buying a certain phone makes you better than other people? Or is this some internal forum joke? It sounds to me like people like Apple ][ are ready to murder anyone who doesn't choose Apple.

• Reply 53 of 141
    mikejones wrote: »
    Butthurt Fandroid is butthurt. Gonna have to find something else to wank to then your phony benchmark numbers?
    Lol iPhone is ancient compared to android phones. Samsung has already in the market 8 core CPU iPhone dual core still. There's no competition sorry.
  • Reply 54 of 141
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by stylorouge

Lol iPhone is ancient compared to android phones. Samsung has already in the market 8 core CPU iPhone dual core still. There's no competition sorry.

Go attend your phone orgies and just shut up already.

• Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:

SPECS.

AREN'T.

ALL.

THAT.

MATTERS.

Samsung phones run like crap. Besides from being an obvious poor man's copy of iOS (not Android, Samsung's Android), the code is so unoptimized that despite the specs it still is less smooth than a Nexus 4 or especially a Moto X.

Samsung are a bane on the industry as a whole. They are so absolutely "me too, me too" they should be embarrassing for anyone.

I despise Samsung. I wish HTC wouldn't have rested on it's laurels and stayed innovative in the field. Samsung is disgusting and truly corrupt in so many ways.

and to touch on the capitalized points: Apple has consistently put out less powerful phones than their equivalent generation Android competitors. 

Apple has consistently performed better.

nuff said.

• Reply 56 of 141
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    The honest find a way to be faster through innovation. The dishonest find a way to cheat and manipulate the system. Anyone that has used a Samsung device and an Apple device instantly notices the screen lag. My experience is an S2. The first and last time I touched a Samdung device.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    Oh Maaaa lordy lordy I cannot believe that some people actually cheat at cards, my my, my grand daddy will be turning in his grave bless my soul !

I feel all a quiver, I need a bumper helping of Sea Slug washed down with copious glasses of VSOP
  • Reply 58 of 141
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Best line of the whole article.

Best line on this website, ever.
  • Reply 59 of 141
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    jragosta wrote: »
    You forgot - they also use special versions of Android that eliminate all background tasks and limit functionality to gain a few more percent on the score.
    :err:
  • Reply 60 of 141

Who cares. No seriously, who outside the tech industry is going to care? Unfortunately, no one, and that is why the lie will work. No one at the carriers are going to say, 'yeah, but Samsung cheats on their scores, buy Apple'. 

I bet no class action suit for false advertisement will be brought either.