Samsung issues second, unsubstantiated denial of Galaxy S4, Note 3 benchmark cheating

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

they'd just leave it plugged in, and claim battery-life improvements.

In the new smart phones you can actually disable charging in software so plug it in the tool can disable the charging. But if independent are running the test they are not going to things to help anyone supplier look better.

• Reply 22 of 62
    So if benchmarks don't matter, why does Samsung (and others) boost them?
  • Reply 23 of 62
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So if benchmarks don't matter, why does Samsung (and others) boost them?

Because Samsung and others are focused on the wrong things, which is why their marketing sucks and their product designs suck (unless they are copying Apple). 

Even if Apple were totally amoral, I doubt Apple would bother cheating on these benchmarks because from a marketing standpoint it's a stupid thing to do and from an engineering standpoint there are better things to do with their time. 

• Reply 24 of 62
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

All I'm interested in is a reassurance that when I add fabric softener to the special slot that it really does get added at the right time and not just "cheated" in at the start. Come on Sammie; I'm counting on your washer/dryer honesty here!

• Reply 25 of 62
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Pathetic. Simply pathetic.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

of course this once again proves the blatent double standard in the tech media. if Apple did this you know it would be an instant "BenchGate" sensation, top headline news at, say, the Verge - which so far has not posted any report about this at all. and these guys claim to be "journalists." Consumer Reports would issue a press release, like they did for so-called "AntennaGate."

but instead the reactions are mostly So What? and related lame excuses. i guess in one sense they are right - Samsung has been cheating for years in every imaginiable way (including dominating Korea's government), and everyone should know that already. so this isn't "news."

let's see if they all go back and "update" the reviews of the identified cheater smartphones still on the market today that include benchmark results and comparisons with the compeition - especially iPhone. wanna bet?

• Reply 27 of 62
    blastdoor wrote: »
    Even if Apple were totally amoral, I doubt Apple would bother cheating on these benchmarks because from a marketing standpoint it's a stupid thing to do and from an engineering standpoint there are better things to do with their time. 

Apple's customers don't tend to look for benchmarks that ignore other usability features like an overheating device or reduced battery life. That's simply not in Apple's DNA.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    jafojafo Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Did Enron stop you from believing in American products?

Or Bear Sterns?

Or Goldman Sacs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Yes.. Definitely shook my confidence... ... In the system.

Also another thing to note here is i live here in usa..i am more familiar with the US mentality than i am of some country i have never lived in or been too.. So naturally , samsung like behavior effects my feeling more for cultures i am not familiar with and Raise the question of " is this how they are " more easily!

Spoken like a true xenophobe. 

So not disclosing that their phones run a benchmark at full capacity is worse than bankrupting families and businesses, causing millions of people to lose their jobs, and cheating investors of hundreds of billions of their life savings?  Yeah, I can see how a benchmark number would be much worse than those things.  Let's not forget that BP destroyed the Gulf with their oil spill while lying to the US public about the amount of the oil being release while simultaneously dumping large quantities of dispersants to cover up their lies.  But I bet you are fine with British companies and products because they speak English with a great accent!

• Reply 29 of 62
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Apple's customers don't tend to look for benchmarks that ignore other usability features like an overheating device or reduced battery life. That's simply not in Apple's DNA.

I suspect that's true of most of Samsung's customers, too. Samsung, like so many other tech companies, does not really understand its customers. I suspect that's one reason Samsung (and Dell et al) throw so many products up on the wall to see what sticks -- they just have no idea what real people want or need. They design for and market to the tech nerd press. 

• Reply 30 of 62
    jamesmacjamesmac Posts: 115member

Seems the popular press doesn't want to pick up on this story.  

CNN Tech's two main tech. headlines right now are:

"Atari Founder: Tim Cook isn't the next Steve Jobs" and

"5 problems with iOS 7, and how to fix them".

Nice huh?

I wonder if Google will reprimand them for this in any way?   

• Reply 31 of 62
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Here is how you fix this problem, as this article points out the benchmark number if just one of the things that tell you how good the product is. So if Sammy want to play this game let them, run the benchmark test until the battery die and record the time so report the performance as a function of usable life and see what happens.

In a prior career I did performance testing on Laptops which we would measure battery performance as a function of doing everyday things like word processing and such. But our tool was more of a simulation of these activities not actually having someone sit their and type and such. As part of this we did real world testing and make sure the tool closely match the real world applications.

We would test hundred of systems over time so we had good statistical data. The tool data was very close to real world except with on groupd of applications. It was MS office, we did not understand when running the office programs on a Powerbook the battery life was 1/2 as expected. After some research we found that MS was making direct calls to the processor to do a display update ever 10 to 20 secs. When MS was asked why they were talking directly to the processor and not operating through the tool box they said they did not want their customer seeing a performance hit because apple implemented power saving modes. By doing this they did not allow the process to idle or sleep so it was on all the time using up battery power. In the end the PowerBooks battery life was not better then a PC if you were using Office.

Great historical story, thanks! So, MS really doesn't know how to code well. Such a pity that they never became this big because they excel at what they do. They merely became big because of other ways of doing business. Bit like Google, and quite sad.

Oh well, true colors will shine through at some point, and people will vote with their wallet.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Here is how you fix this problem, as this article points out the benchmark number if just one of the things that tell you how good the product is. So if Sammy want to play this game let them, run the benchmark test until the battery die and record the time so report the performance as a function of usable life and see what happens.

That would work - if you could get any of the reviewers to do it. Unfortunately, most of the reviewers are so deeply in Samsung's camp that they'd never go along.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

The popular press had best be careful in reporting on this subject or they risk losing hundreds of millions in $camscum advertising dollors.

Who will be first to lambaste them, hmmm? (The will be the first to receive my subscription money.)

• Reply 34 of 62
    blastdoor wrote: »
    I suspect that's true of most of Samsung's customers, too. Samsung, like so many other tech companies, does not really understand its customers. I suspect that's one reason Samsung (and Dell et al) throw so many products up on the wall to see what sticks -- they just have no idea what real people want or need. They design for and market to the tech nerd press. 

I concede to your point and agree that very few customers look at raw benchmarks.

From my anecdotal experience (at least on tech forums) Android users that have a more limited comprehension of the technology which allows them to make superficial judgements about comparative capabilities. One needs only to look at AI's recent article about Qualcomm saying the A7 is only for marketing to get plenty of choice examples.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    jafo wrote: »

Spoken like a true xenophobe. 

So not disclosing that their phones run a benchmark at full capacity is worse than bankrupting families and businesses, causing millions of people to lose their jobs, and cheating investors of hundreds of billions of their life savings?  Yeah, I can see how a benchmark number would be much worse than those things.  Let's not forget that BP destroyed the Gulf with their oil spill while lying to the US public about the amount of the oil being release while simultaneously dumping large quantities of dispersants to cover up their lies.  But I bet you are fine with British companies and products because they speak English with a great accent!

Lol.. Did u even read what my response was? Lol... U seem to want to argue with yourself !

As for my xenophobia.. Lol..lets see.. I am . Part British , part Armenian, born in Iran. .. Lived in France and Usa. ..........
  • Reply 36 of 62
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    [QUOTE]"A maximum GPU frequency of 533MHz is applicable for running apps that are usually used in full-screen mode," Samsung said, "such as the S Browser, Gallery, Camera, Video Player, and certain benchmarking apps, which also demand substantial performance."[/QUOTE]

I've got some bad news for you sunshine...
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Which is true? Will we ever know? Does it even matter?" asked Zach Epstein of BGR after reciting Samsung's statement.

"Bam! Straight from the horses mouth, they don't cheat!" one reader commented. Another, represented by an Android avatar with the caption "hope," wrote, "I agree. I will believe anything from Google/DROID/Samsung. They are honest. I will never listen to or believe anything from or about Apple."

I find it amazingly obnoxious when NBC Nightly News or MSM newspapers quote a forum or Twitter comment in the midst of what should be real journalism.  Not that AI projects itself as real journalism, but anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes scanning comments on BGR on any given day knows that Norm or any of his clones "represented by an Android avatar with the caption 'hope'" are all known trolls who haven't written a serious comment ever.  I guess I should be embarrassed for knowing that because the BGR comments section is so flawed and filled with refuse that your brain cells die just from looking at it.  It really makes me laugh that Norm is getting quoted on AI as source material.

• Reply 38 of 62
    Another, represented by an Android avatar with the caption "hope," wrote, "I agree. I will believe anything from Google/DROID/Samsung. They are honest. I will never listen to or believe anything from or about Apple."

How could the wiring of anyone's brain be so completely haywire as to make them capable of writing something like this?
  • Reply 39 of 62
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Did Enron stop you from believing in American products?

Or Bear Sterns?

Or Goldman Sacs?

None of those made products that I consume (i.e. phoney financial instruments.)

At least intentionally.

But yes, those companies did cast a shadow on American 'Capitalism'. Particularly the act of shuffling money from one pile to another, taking a cut, and calling it 'investment'.

• Reply 40 of 62
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member

Let's start calling this benchmark-gate.