Apple releases OS X 10.9 Mavericks Golden Master to developers

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,229member

    I'd suspect your right on at $19.95 . I'll be surprised if it's free.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    focherfocher Posts: 640member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    The GM today is 5.29 GB.

     

    It also said 5.29 GB to me. However, at about 1.1 GB it "finished" downloading and kicked off the installer. I suspect that the App Store saw that I was already on DP 8 and did just download the differential needed.

  • Reply 23 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seltzdesign View Post

    I was thinking the same thing, especially since there is no word on pricing yet. It just makes so much sense for them, especially since they are not really dependent on the money and are to gain more from everyone being on the latest release. I would wager that that move might push 10.9 past the 5.4% market share of Windows 8, which would be quite a statement. 10.8, 10.7 and 10.6 combined make up 6.65% according to the same statistic (http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-adoption-rate-drops-back-to-a-plod-7000018847/).


     


    Nobody will argue with free, but even 20 dollars will make people look to see if it is worth it for them. Seeing that a lot of the important updates are under the bonnet, this might not convince a lot of people to update. 


     


    I would gladly pay even 100 dollars for it, but free would be nothing short of astounding.


     

    I know several Mac users on Snow Leopard. It should be top priority for Apple to get everyone on Mavericks. And given the small revenue they generate per year from selling each release for 20 bucks (small for them), I would think the more important factor would be bolstering the Mac platform as a whole. And the best and only way to do that is to give it away for free just like iOS. My guess is that will happen, but you never know with Apple. I hope they have the sense to see what I see.

     

    In this respect we can then look at Apple's software iOS/OS X/iCloud as free services that make the platform as a whole very attractive for the consumer.

     

    "All you have to do is buy the computer and Apple takes care of you after that."

     

    That's attractive. And it gives the consumer a lot of purchasing confidence and respect.

  • Reply 24 of 84
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    I'd suspect your right on at $19.95 . I'll be surprised if it's free.

     

    Well i just find it odd that they didn't say anything on price. For mountain lion they already announced the price at WWDC (

    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/11/os_x_108_mountain_lion_hits_the_mac_app_store_in_july_for_1999), although to be fair the release was a lot closer to it than it is this time round. Still they had a few opportunities to announce the price and I don't see a reason why they would decide to just NOT say the price before - it's not like it's a last minute decision. Mountain Lion was 19.99 and cheaper than Lion, so if that was the lowest they would/could go to, than it makes sense to announce the price with the introduction of the product, because even 19.99 is still a good price for something that seems like a more substantial update than Mountain Lion was.

     

    The only reason that makes sense now is that they will make it free, but wanted to get the big headlines of "available now, free, on the app store" or even just through Software Update much like it works on iOS7. I think a lot of people are coming to the Mac now, who started on an iOS device, so it would be more the way they are used to (even major updates of the OS are free).

     

    We'll find out soon enough :)

  • Reply 25 of 84

    it will be $20 as usual.

    That's all I have to say about that...

  • Reply 26 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post
     

    it will be $20 as usual.

    That's all I have to say about that...

     

    ?Considering practically each new release is priced less-and-less as time goes on I don't quite see where you are pulling that "as usual" $20 figure from with a foolish confidence.

     

    Leopard was $129

    Snow Leopard was $29

    Lion was $29

    Mountain Lion was $20

     

    It's safe to say given that they have now moved to a yearly release cycle for OS X versions and for the first time in living memory have yet to announce a price, they may have a new way of doing things in the works. And then considering most of the new additions in Mavericks are under the hood it's probable to gestimate that Mavericks could be free.

     

    That, my friend, is called reason.

  • Reply 27 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,229member
    focher wrote: »
    It also said 5.29 GB to me. However, at about 1.1 GB it "finished" downloading and kicked off the installer. I suspect that the App Store saw that I was already on DP 8 and did just download the differential needed.

    I don't think this was a delta. I'm sure others will know more than me. I am sure, even though I was on DP 8 too I downloaded the full amount. Are you sure you were not downloading that iPhoto update that was 1.1 GB... seems a bit of a coincidence you quote the exact size. The iPhoto was in updates, GM was in Purchases not updates.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,229member
    Well i just find it odd that they didn't say anything on price. For mountain lion they already announced the price at WWDC (
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/11/os_x_108_mountain_lion_hits_the_mac_app_store_in_july_for_1999), although to be fair the release was a lot closer to it than it is this time round. Still they had a few opportunities to announce the price and I don't see a reason why they would decide to just NOT say the price before - it's not like it's a last minute decision. Mountain Lion was 19.99 and cheaper than Lion, so if that was the lowest they would/could go to, than it makes sense to announce the price with the introduction of the product, because even 19.99 is still a good price for something that seems like a more substantial update than Mountain Lion was.

    The only reason that makes sense now is that they will make it free, but wanted to get the big headlines of "available now, free, on the app store" or even just through Software Update much like it works on iOS7. I think a lot of people are coming to the Mac now, who started on an iOS device, so it would be more the way they are used to (even major updates of the OS are free).

    We'll find out soon enough :)

    I hope it is free, it would be great.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post



    I hope it is compatible with the Late 2009 iMacs. Mine has been working pretty well for a year out-of warranty.

     

    I hope so too.  Bought my late 2009 27" the day after they were announced.  I recall almost fainting when 27" was revealed.

     

    It's quad-core i7 with 8GB.    I hope it runs Mavericks and "Crazy-Ones", or whatever the next major release is going to be called, and for good measure, I want it to run "Misfits" after that.

     

    Love Apple.

  • Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

     

    it will be $20 as usual.

    That's all I have to say about that...


     

    That my friend is what's called a Straw man argument. And it just relegated you to my list of blocked users, especially with a footer text that actually makes you look much worse than any Android defender on here.

  • Reply 31 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,585member
    aelegg wrote: »
    I hope so too.  Bought my late 2009 27" the day after they were announced.  I recall almost fainting when 27" was revealed.

    Mid-2007 or later iMacs.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Thanks [B]Ireland[/B] and [B]digitalclips[/B]. That makes much more sense now.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,229member
    akqies wrote: »
    Thanks Ireland and digitalclips. That makes much more sense now.

    I only 'knew' cos I'd already made the exact same mistake in my half asleep, pre coffee excitement. :D
  • Reply 34 of 84
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post





    Mid-2007 or later iMacs.

     

    I don't think I can expect Mavericks to run on our late-2008 MacBook, bought very-early 09.

     

    You know, the MacBook with the Aluminum Unibody that wasn't a "Pro", and didn't have sD card reader? 

     

    There was about a 6-month window where they had plastic & Unibody MacBook's side by side, before Al meant Pro.



    But I'm not bitter.  That little guy has been awesome.  4.5 years and still as good as day 1.   Every OS X update ran fine without a hiccup, and it just keeps going and going.  After a wipe-down with cleaner on a paper towel, it literally looks brand new.  Al is awesome.

     

    It is Unibody but has easy HD/battery access through a panel.  500 GB HD for $150 when we did it, and when we doubled RAM to 4GB it was.....$27 from Crucial.

     

    Stay tuned for more of my boring life story, where we talk about biking and french fries.

  • Reply 35 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,585member
    aelegg wrote: »
    I don't think I can expect Mavericks to run on our late-2008 MacBook, bought very-early 09.

    http://bgr.com/2013/06/11/os-x-mavericks-compatibility/
  • Reply 36 of 84
    aeleggaelegg Posts: 99member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

     

    Leopard was $129

    Snow Leopard was $29

    Lion was $29

    Mountain Lion was $20


     

    Remember the HILARIOUS pricing model Steve Jobs showed on that slide that time? 

     

    With the 7 different Windows (?Vista?) prices from home basic through Platinum Ultra or whatever it was called?



    Side by side with $129 for all 7 "variants" of OS X?

     

    And Steve Jobs said, "I think everyone's going to go for the Platinum", (in reference to which "variant" of OS X people would get).

     

    Insanely great.

     

    Miss Steve.

  • Reply 37 of 84

    It doesn't come up on updates.. and if you're a non-developer looking for a copy it's already up on TPB.

  • Reply 38 of 84
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    ireland wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">?Considering practically each new release is priced less-and-less as time goes on I don't quite see where you are pulling that "as usual" $20 figure from with a foolish confidence.</span>


    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Leopard was $129</span>

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Snow Leopard was $29</span>

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Lion was $29</span>

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Mountain Lion was $20</span>


    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">It's safe to say given that they have now moved to a yearly </span>
    release<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> cycle for OS X versions and for the first time in </span>
    living<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    memory<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> have yet to </span>
    announce<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> a price, they may have a new way of doing things in the </span>
    works. And then considering most of the new additions in Mavericks are under the hood it's probably to gestimate that that Mavericks could be free.

    That, my friend, is called reason.

    There is an argument as to why it would be a sound business decision for it to be free (or even cheaper) but neither you or I have access to that info to really know if that has come to pass.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,585member
    macvertigo wrote: »
    It doesn't come up on updates.. and if you're a non-developer looking for a copy it's already up on TPB.

    Shame TPB is blocked here. Can't locate on ipredator.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

     

     

    I know several Mac users on Snow Leopard. It should be top priority for Apple to get everyone on Mavericks. And given the small revenue they generate per year from selling each release for 20 bucks (small for them), I would think the more important factor would be bolstering the Mac platform as a whole. And the best and only way to do that is to give it away for free just like iOS. My guess is that will happen, but you never know with Apple. I hope they have the sense to see what I see.

     

    In this respect we can then look at Apple's software iOS/OS X/iCloud as free services that make the platform as a whole very attractive for the consumer.

     

    "All you have to do is buy the computer and Apple takes care of you after that."

     

    That's attractive. And it gives the consumer a lot of purchasing confidence and respect.


     

    This does make sense. iOS is free, except for those with an iTouch.  It solves multiple issues:

     

    - Machines will be updated with a high adoption rate, like iOS. 

    - Will help stem the decreases in mac sales. Free OS updates is a nice marketing ploy

    - Helps to further erode the MS stranglehold on the desktop market. Apple can afford to give away the OS at the expense of hardware sales. Microsoft can't. Great timing while Win 8 adoption rate is low.  

    - Will allow them to ward off ChromeOS, which will be free although it a totally different class. 

    - Hopefully they continue with the trend and offer Free Apple Apps for Pages, Numbers, Keynote like iOS. Sure if this happens it will be only with new devices. But, buy 1 device and it will also be avail on all your old devices with the same Apple ID.  This will help to erode office market share. A surprise update in 2014, of these apps, would be nice. 

Sign In or Register to comment.