Behind-the-scenes details revealed about Steve Jobs' first iPhone announcement

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

     


           (Story)

     

    Thanks for that Phil. Very interesting. 

     

    Don't know where I read it but it was, specifically, the "rubber band" scrolling effect in the tablet development that got Jobs to redirect efforts from the tablet to the iPhone and eventually back to the iPad. Fascinating stuff.

     

    Reminds me of a story of a guy sitting in Apple's foyer waiting for a job interview and Jobs asked him what he had. On his laptop he showed Job's his idea of "mousing" over an icon in the dock and it expanded to high light it. He was hired on the spot. May have been at NeXT.

     

    Best.

     

    P.S. I thought Issacinson's book was a bit rushed...too light. :)

  • Reply 22 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,483member

    Loved revisiting the video of the original iPhone launch. Boy do I miss Steve Jobs. What a staggering loss to the world (2 year anniversary is tomorrow).

  • Reply 23 of 47
    inklinginkling Posts: 731member
    Quote: %u201CAnd it was not an easy explanation," said Phil Kearney, a former Apple engineer. "Most of the designers are artists. The last science class they took was in eighth grade. But they have a lot of power at Apple. So they ask, %u2018Why can%u2019t we just make a little seam for the radio waves to escape through?%u2019 And you have to explain to them why you just can%u2019t.%u201D

    At last someone has stated clearly what I've long suspected, that some of Apple's big shots are clueless about even kitchen physics. It used to be heat and the need for fans. Now it's metal and antennas.

    Given how many frequencies an iPod's antennas had to cover while restricted to such a tight space, these engineers must be geniuses. And what they're doing does work. I just switched cellular providers. At my house, the phone that AT&T sold me only showed one bar and gave spotty service. Although the salesman told me it wouldn't work, I switched the SIM to my venerable iPhone 3GS. I now have three bars and solid coverage. Thanks Apple!

    --Mike Perry, KE7NV
  • Reply 24 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Loved revisiting the video of the original iPhone launch. Boy do I miss Steve Jobs. What a staggering loss to the world (2 year anniversary is tomorrow).
    I loved that, and when Steve made the first FaceTime call. His excitement reminded me of a kid on Christmas morning.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Just how good of a phone was the original iPhone? I picked one up on clearance (the 4GB version) for a non-tech relative many years ago, and [B]they still use it, everyday.[/B] Yes, Safari crashes quite often, but (carrier woes aside) it still works reasonably well for voice calls.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    inkling wrote: »
    Quote: %u201CAnd it was not an easy explanation," said Phil Kearney, a former Apple engineer. "Most of the designers are artists. The last science class they took was in eighth grade. But they have a lot of power at Apple. So they ask, %u2018Why can%u2019t we just make a little seam for the radio waves to escape through?%u2019 And you have to explain to them why you just can%u2019t.%u201D

    At last someone has stated clearly what I've long suspected, that some of Apple's big shots are clueless about even kitchen physics. It used to be heat and the need for fans. Now it's metal and antennas.

    You mean like Steve Jobs? ;) But seriously their idea doesn't sound too far off from what we have today with the HTC One. And of course the iPhone 5 is a mostly aluminum back.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Prove it.

    Seriously?!
  • Reply 28 of 47
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Yes you do. I was about to rip you a new one. :)

    It's a bit disheartening that there are so many wacky people that post on internet forums that statements like "...be the best way to proceed forever" is somehow not seen first as deliberate hyperbole.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

    Seriously?!

     

    Yes, since it’s explicitly stated in Steve Jobs’ biography that you’re wrong, prove you’re right.

  • Reply 30 of 47
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,096member

    That story was a great read.  Two and a half years to develop the iPhone and it wasn't even really ready for the demo.  No one saw it coming.  No wonder Blackberry is dying now.  They were blinded by their success.  Apple did what they didn't even think was possible.

     

    Enough bitching about Apple not being innovative.  It hasn't been 2 and a half years since Jobs died yet and they say he had FOUR years worth of products in the pipeline.  The iWatch might be one of them.  Apple won't release it until it is right.

  • Reply 31 of 47
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Yes, since it’s explicitly stated in Steve Jobs’ biography that you’re wrong, prove you’re right.

    I would have thought that…

    "(Do I really need to use a sarcasm tag?)"

    …would have stood in for the sarcasm tag.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,483member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by akqies View Post





    I would have thought that…



    "(Do I really need to use a sarcasm tag?)"



    …would have stood in for the sarcasm tag.

    It didn't. ALWAYS use a sarcasm tag. There are many extreme comments in this forum that are easily confused with sarcasm.

  • Reply 33 of 47
    The NYT article is fluff. Full of errors. Gruber catches him out on a couple of major howlers:
    http://bit.ly/177gEPb.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    eriamjh wrote: »
    That story was a great read.  Two and a half years to develop the iPhone and it wasn't even really ready for the demo.  No one saw it coming.  No wonder Blackberry is dying now.  They were blinded by their success.  Apple did what they didn't even think was possible.

    Enough bitching about Apple not being innovative.  It hasn't been 2 and a half years since Jobs died yet and they say he had FOUR years worth of products in the pipeline.  The iWatch might be one of them.  Apple won't release it until it is right.

    I can also see why Apple was so miffed at competitors ripping off, and/or retroactively labeling as "standards essential", ideas that Apple engineers had worked so hard to design, polish, and perfect. The late nights, the loud debates, the blood sweat and tears. I get it when Apple's leadership says that competitors should create their own ideas.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,437member
    Who gets half drunk on half a flask? I call BS... I also require specifics on the scotch.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    The behind-the-scenes look is fascination. However, the Article implies Apple had the lead in smart phones since the iPhone's inception. And that Jobs wanted to dominate. I just remember him wanting 1%. It also states the 3-5 yr difference in Jobs innovation schedule and that people are worried about Cook. Later mentions Cook has been CEO for 2 years. But isn't 2yrs less than 3 to 5 yrs?



    Of course they mention market share but nothing about who's making money. Outside of that , it's great.

     

    January will be 4 years since the iPad.  I dont think the clock resets when the CEO changes.

  • Reply 37 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,630member
    tkell31 wrote: »
    January will be 4 years since the iPad.  I dont think the clock resets when the CEO changes.

    According to who's timetable? I must have missed the innovation schedule in the farmers almanac.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Leander Kahney had a bio of Jony Ive coming out in November. He says he got a number of current and former Apple employees to talk. It will be interesting to see how much of that book jives with Walter Isaacson's bio or other stories we've head over the years. I heard Kahney talk about his book on a podcast once and I got the impression that the way things have been recounted over the years weren't always accurate. At least according to the employees he interviewed.

    Looking forward to that bio!
  • Reply 39 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,435member
    philboogie wrote: »
    (story)

    I like this story in that the iPad was inspired by how crappy the tablet PC was.

    Yep! They do look at the competition, just not how to duplicate it.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    According to who's timetable? I must have missed the innovation schedule in the farmers almanac.

     

    Dont be dense or are you implying they dropped everything they were working on when Jobs died so Cook could start over?

Sign In or Register to comment.