Google's Schmidt says Android more secure than the iPhone

Comments

• Reply 181 of 213
    Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

iOS 7 now looks, acts, and functions EXACTLY like Android does.

Ooh, close one. I had to Command+Z to get the tab back and reply to this FUD.

• Reply 182 of 213
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    Then by that logic, every single exploit should have been successfully initiated within the first day of the contest, right?  

RIGHT?

I mean, think about it.  The first day......of every single Pwn2Own challenge.......for five years straight.  Which devices fall first?  APPLE'S devices.  Why is that?  Why not anyone else?  

It's PWN2OWN. You win the device after you exploit it. a Mac is more desirable then whatever crap is out there.

Perhaps some researchers start early in developing an exploit. Maybe some other guys decide two weeks ahead.
  • Reply 183 of 213
    I had to Command+Z to get the tab back

I love that in Safari; wish they'd implement that OS-wide. Would help me for any oops moment I may have.
  • Reply 184 of 213
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I love that in Safari; wish they'd implement that OS-wide. Would help me for any oops moment I may have.

I thought Control-Z was already the universal, "undo" command in OSX, at least it is for most of the programs I have used. I have to test that, hmmmmm.

• Reply 185 of 213

I wish they’d do it for more than one tab! If I close two, I can only restore one. If I close one and open a new one, I can’t restore the closed one.

They’ve done it for tabs system-wide in Mavericks, at least. You can restore Finder tabs the same way.

• Reply 186 of 213
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Well, I meant system-wide...in the wide sense. Moving a window, Cmd-Z puts it back. Change. Syspref? Yep, undo. Possibly even for closing an application...they'd need to test this as what works, what is logical or makes sense and not just do a Samsung on my lame idea lol.

But yes, Cmd-Z works in most, if not all programs and it's good to read that they're taking it to the next level in 10.9
  • Reply 187 of 213
    Quote:

Well, I meant system-wide...in the wide sense. Moving a window, Cmd-Z puts it back. Change. Syspref? Yep, undo. Possibly even for closing an application...they'd need to test this as what works, what is logical or makes sense and not just do a Samsung on my lame idea lol.

But yes, Cmd-Z works in most, if not all programs and it's good to read that they're taking it to the next level in 10.9

Oh, duuuuuhhhhh, okaydokay then, I need to read, think before I type more, "sorry about that chief - Agent 86" .

• Reply 188 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's PWN2OWN. You win the device after you exploit it. a Mac is more desirable then whatever crap is out there.

Perhaps some researchers start early in developing an exploit. Maybe some other guys decide two weeks ahead.

Charlie Miller (a Mac Lover):  "Hacking into Macs is SO much easier!  You don't have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations you'd find in Windows."

Doesn't really support your theory.  Miller didn't go after Macs because they were more "desirable."  He went after Macs because they were easier to break into.  He's got some other great quotes as well, such as comparing Windows to a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town, and OSX to a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere with no locks.  

• Reply 189 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ooh, close one. I had to Command+Z to get the tab back and reply to this FUD.

I'm not seeing much in the way of a reply.  Have you compared the two?  My wife and I sat down the other day and compared her fresh install of iOS 7 on her 4S to my Galaxy S3 running the stock 'Droid ROM.  The similarities were shocking, and even SHE was the first to say it before I opened my mouth.  She prefers the iPhone, by the way.  As a previous iPhone user myself, I noticed the similarities right away.  

• Reply 190 of 213
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Charlie Miller (a Mac Lover):  "Hacking into Macs is SO much easier!  You don't have to jump through hoops and deal with all the anti-exploit mitigations you'd find in Windows."

Doesn't really support your theory.

And what year did he say this?  

• Reply 191 of 213
    Quote:

I'm not seeing much in the way of a reply.  Have you compared the two?  My wife and I sat down the other day and compared her fresh install of iOS 7 on her 4S to my Galaxy S3 running the stock 'Droid ROM.  The similarities were shocking, and even SHE was the first to say it before I opened my mouth.  She prefers the iPhone, by the way.  As a previous iPhone user myself, I noticed the similarities right away.  

WOW, aren't you just so hip and cool.

So why do you waste so much of your time here if you don't use Apple products? Are you just being a troll? 

• Reply 192 of 213
    Quote:

Doesn't really support your theory.  Miller didn't go after Macs because they were more "desirable."  He went after Macs because they were easier to break into.  He's got some other great quotes as well, such as comparing Windows to a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town, and OSX to a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere with no locks.  

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/charlie-miller-on-android-vs-ios-security/9698

• Reply 193 of 213
    Quote:

You must be reading a REALLY old interview.  He doesn't say what you mentioned anymore.  He might have said that 4+ years ago, but in terms of the number of malware released to the market?  That's an easy one.  Windows has FAR more malware than OS X.  PERIOD.

• Reply 194 of 213
    Quote:

Hacking INTO and getting a virus are two different things.  Now, how many viruses were there for Windows?  Hundreds of thousands, there were only a couple for OS X.  Now, being able to write a trojan horse? 

Be careful when you say MALWARE.  Viruses are a TYPE of malware, but OS X never really had any issue about viruses, like Windows.

What Charlie was doing was different than writing viruses.  But as time went on, his hacks became tougher to write and setup.  He didn't go to those Pawn contests and write a hack in 5 minutes.  HIs hacks too months ahead of time to set up.  But this was a LONG time ago.

The types of malware that MOST of us are concerned about are VIRUSES since on Windows, you could get them without doing anything other than just connecting your computer to the internet.  There have been people that have proved that one.  But viruses never hit Macs, they might get them and pass them on to a Windows computer, but Viruses didn't really affect OS X, but trojan horses or other forms of Malware, but again, the number of malware released to the open for OS X and iOS are so little, the likelihood isn't as big as it's been for Windows and now Android.

Again, I've never said OS X or iOS was 100% secure.  But IDIOTS like yourself seem to misread things and take something and changed it into something else.  

I look at what's been released to the open as an indication as to which is more or less secure.

• Reply 195 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

You must be reading a REALLY old interview.  He doesn't say what you mentioned anymore.  He might have said that 4+ years ago, but in terms of the number of malware released to the market?  That's an easy one.  Windows has FAR more malware than OS X.  PERIOD.

He wasn't talking about malware but the security hole's in OSX. It is still that way with the 2013 models so there is no reason for Charlie Miller to change his mind, I personally can access most OSX computers in less than two minutes, it's very simple to do. However, once you close up the holes OSX also becomes very secured, like any other Unix OS. 

• Reply 196 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

He wasn't talking about malware but the security hole's in OSX. It is still that way with the 2013 models so there is no reason for Charlie Miller to change his mind, I personally can access most OSX computers in less than two minutes, it's very simple to do. However, once you close up the holes OSX also becomes very secured, like any other Unix OS. 

And do you get access to OS X computers over the internet or in person?   So you could get into my computer from where you are sitting?  You do this all of the time?  

• Reply 197 of 213
    Quote:

And do you get access to OS X computers over the internet or in person?   So you could get into my computer from where you are sitting?  You do this all of the time?  

Sitting in front of the machine is the easiest of course as OSX doesn't set the root password, here is a post I did to help someone log into their computer, that's the less than two minutes. Over the internet takes more time, depends on the router the person has what programs are running that access the internet, so on and so on, it takes a while but with the many cracker tools available it's not entirely difficult to do and OSX is easier than Windows in this regard. That's why OSX is always one of the first machines to be hacked during these competitions, than Windows, with Linux being on the top as the most difficult. Now, there a lot of ways you can make OSX a lot more secure but people normally don't do anything outside of what Apple does for them.

....and no, this is something I do not do nor condone..

• Reply 198 of 213

Oh, you should run this, "lsof -i -P | grep -i "listen" to see what ports you have running.

This is a Linux distribution called Backtrack used for security penetration testing but includes all of the necessary programs needed to remotely hack a computer. There are a lot of tutorials in the distro as well, educate yourself. Just use a virtual machine to run it.

• Reply 199 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Sitting in front of the machine is the easiest of course as OSX doesn't set the root password, here is a post I did to help someone log into their computer, that's the less than two minutes. Over the internet takes more time, depends on the router the person has what programs are running that access the internet, so on and so on, it takes a while but with the many cracker tools available it's not entirely difficult to do and OSX is easier than Windows in this regard. That's why OSX is always one of the first machines to be hacked during these competitions, than Windows, with Linux being on the top as the most difficult. Now, there a lot of ways you can make OSX a lot more secure but people normally don't do anything outside of what Apple does for them.

....and no, this is something I do not do nor condone..

Well, sitting in front of the computer, sure, I'm sure Microsoft helps people get into their systems when they forget their login screen password all of the time.   Macs never really got viruses.  Viruses are really for Windows.    When people talk about security, it encompasses a lot more than just hacking one's password.

I've never had a virus destroy my hard drive on an Apple product, but I've had that happen with a Windows computer that was given to me to use by a company I used to work for.  Just about everyone in the company was getting virus attacks or trojan horses or whatever it was that was taking out hard drives.  To me, that's a SECURITY problem, isn't it?  

• Reply 200 of 213
    Quote:

Well, sitting in front of the computer, sure, I'm sure Microsoft helps people get into their systems when they forget their login screen password all of the time.   Macs never really got viruses.  Viruses are really for Windows.    When people talk about security, it encompasses a lot more than just hacking ones password.

I've never had a virus destroy my hard drive on an Apple product, but I've had that happen with a Windows computer that was given to me to use by a company I used to work for.  Just about everyone in the company was getting virus attacks or trojan horses or whatever it was that was taking out hard drives.  To me, that's a SECURITY problem, isn't it?  

Yes, absolutely, I was just replying that Charlie Miller wasn't talking about malware. Apple virus's and malware are increasing as well, in fact the more popular OSX get's we will start to see a paradigm shift of hackers/crackers and virus/malware writers focusing more of their attention on Apple. Here's a short but interesting article in Forbes about it. Maybe Apple will go all-in with iOS before it becomes to severe though, who knows.

People just need to follow good security practices, the biggest two are; don't open emails from people you don't know and don't download apps that haven't been reviewed or from individuals, stay with the mainstream stuff.