Nest announces Protect intelligent smoke & carbon monoxide detector

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Not pointless at all. Gas furnaces are the leading cause of CO leaks in a house. And the point of the device is to get you out of the house first. Shutting off the furnace is a bonus.

Yah, it's nifty.  Perhaps extra slave units that can turn things off in the event of a CO or fire would be nice too.  Preferably without a Nest thermostat as I'm happy with the integration with my current smart thermostat even if it's not as pretty.

• Reply 62 of 64

I agree with the others, they do seem pretty nice, and like a good idea, but they are overpriced, just like the thermostat.

These on Amazon are half the price and do just about everything the Nest ones do.

http://www.amazon.com/Onelink-Wireless-Operated-Monoxide-SCO501B2/dp/B005FCA5W6

They are smoke and CO detectors, they communicate with each other over WiFi, they are available as hard wire or battery powered, they talk to you to tell you which room the problem is located in, etc.

Seems like the only things they are really missing is the light, the wave to silence (they have a button though), and the ability to talk to your thermostat and phone.  Those features of the Nest are nice, but I don't know that they are worth doubling the price to get.  Seems like the Nest would make more sense priced around $80 instead of $120.

I feel the same about their thermostat though too.  I bought this one instead and saved over $100 (I had a 20% off coupon I used on it) compared to the Nest thermostat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Wi-Fi-Programmable-Touchscreen-Thermostat-Free-App-RTH8580WF/203356032

Sure I had to program it myself, but that seems a lot easier to me then continually messing with the thermostat every day for a few weeks until the Nest learns what I want it to do.  It doesn't have the motion sensor, but I'm not sure how useful that is anyway.

So far for me all Nest has done is got me to look for other cheaper alternatives for stuff I never would have thought of until I heard about the Nest.  When I first heard about the Nest thermostat, that was what got me looking into WiFi thermostats and I picked the Honeywell one instead.  Now the Nest smoke detector has got me to look into smoke detectors and I am likely going to end up buying the First Alert ones instead.

• Reply 63 of 64
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member

I think a hybrid device like a Smart SD/CO detector could eventually 

morph into a multi-faceted device that has Bluetooth Beacon support. 

If i'm going to put these things in every room and on every floor the ability 

of my home to know where I am (perhaps via a wrist worn BLE capable device) 

would be fantastic. 

I think Nest may be a tad bit early with this device but then again until we see a teardown 

and get to see how much power is behind these SD we cannot tell how many potential 

features can be added at a later date. 

• Reply 64 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I agree with the others, they do seem pretty nice, and like a good idea, but they are overpriced, just like the thermostat.

These on Amazon are half the price and do just about everything the Nest ones do.
    http://www.amazon.com/Onelink-Wireless-Operated-Monoxide-SCO501B2/dp/B005FCA5W6

They are smoke and CO detectors, they communicate with each other over WiFi, they are available as hard wire or battery powered, they talk to you to tell you which room the problem is located in, etc.

Seems like the only things they are really missing is the light, the wave to silence (they have a button though), and the ability to talk to your thermostat and phone.  Those features of the Nest are nice, but I don't know that they are worth doubling the price to get.  Seems like the Nest would make more sense priced around $80 instead of $120.

I feel the same about their thermostat though too.  I bought this one instead and saved over $100 (I had a 20% off coupon I used on it) compared to the Nest thermostat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Wi-Fi-Programmable-Touchscreen-Thermostat-Free-App-RTH8580WF/203356032

Sure I had to program it myself, but that seems a lot easier to me then continually messing with the thermostat every day for a few weeks until the Nest learns what I want it to do.  It doesn't have the motion sensor, but I'm not sure how useful that is anyway.

So far for me all Nest has done is got me to look for other cheaper alternatives for stuff I never would have thought of until I heard about the Nest.  When I first heard about the Nest thermostat, that was what got me looking into WiFi thermostats and I picked the Honeywell one instead.  Now the Nest smoke detector has got me to look into smoke detectors and I am likely going to end up buying the First Alert ones instead.

You remind me of my wife when I first got an iPhone 3G. We were at the att store, and I was spending $199- but my company was reimbursing me- and my wife was due for an upgrade. So we considered an iPhone but settled on some spare LG thing because it looked like the iPhone and we assumed it was pretty similar- and it wasn't $199- it was FREE! Lol

Not saying it's the same- haven't actually used a Nest product, but curious if in 5 years it'll be a parallel to our story. ;)