Apple designer Ive's custom charity desk revealed in new pics

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Just curious, but what makes this a desk? I'd expect a desk to have at least a drawer. I'd call this a table.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

"Machined from a solid block of aluminum". Are they saying it's machined from one piece of aluminum? Seems like the legs would have had to be welded on. Any materials guys monitoring this thread?

I wondered the same thing.

It's possible that it was machined from a single large block of aluminum, though. It would be very expensive, but not as much as you might think - and for a one off charity piece like this, the extra cost wouldn't matter much. Remember that it's not that hard to find V8 engine blocks machined from single blocks of aluminum. This is larger, but not that much larger.

Obviously, if you were planning to mass produce them, machining from a single block of aluminum would be silly.

Aluminum engine blocks are cast then machined. They don't start out with a solid cubiod hexahedron and then start drilling out the cylinders, etc. They cast it slightly larger than the final shape in all dimensions and then remove a small amount of material, which is probably how they engineered this desk.

• Reply 43 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

That's not the first time Ive has ever copied anything.

What

What??

• Reply 44 of 77
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Two legs supporting a flat surface on top? I call prior art!

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/33255/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 45 of 77
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What??

Don't you understand? pazuzu views what excretes here via a notebook as being the exact same what he excretes through his ass on a toilet. It's all shit!
  • Reply 46 of 77
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The (RED) Desk will go on auction at Sotheby's in New York on November 23 alongside the Leica and a set of gold EarPods

But it's not red.

• Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Just curious, but what makes this a desk? I'd expect a desk to have at least a drawer. I'd call this a table.

I am wondering the same thing. To me, it's a table.

• Reply 48 of 77
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

I smell law suit.

I doubt Apple will sue them as they're not in the table business and this is just a one of for charity.

• Reply 49 of 77
    It's pretty cool, in an industrial chic kind of way, but not that practical. Imagine how cold that thing is going to feel in Winter!

I also worry about Ive's love affair with aluminium considering how environmentally expensive it is to produce. He should give part of the proceeds to clean energy research to support his ongoing use of the material!

Hopefully it's made from recycled aluminium, maybe reborn from the death of a thousand Mac Pros!
  • Reply 50 of 77
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    droidftw wrote: »
    I doubt Apple will sue them as they're not in the table business and this is just a one of for charity.

Now that made me laugh.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    It's pretty cool, in an industrial chic kind of way, but not that practical. Imagine how cold that thing is going to feel in Winter!

Form over function.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I'd buy the plastic version for $100 less.

Funniest comment I've read all week. Nice!

• Reply 53 of 77
    I've seen uglier..
  • Reply 54 of 77
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

U G L Y ! ! ! !

And that pretty well covers it.

• Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Form over function.

For godssakes it's an art piece it doesn't need to be functional. 

• Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

U G L Y ! ! ! !

And that pretty well covers it.

I think you need to make the font bigger.  Us fanbois don't have great eyesight.

• Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

I also worry about Ive's love affair with aluminium considering how environmentally expensive it is to produce. He should give part of the proceeds to clean energy research to support his ongoing use of the material!

Hopefully it's made from recycled aluminium, maybe reborn from the death of a thousand Mac Pros!

All this environmental nonsense is just a sham.  Just a bunch of feel good PC crap from people who would rather reduce my standard of living than raise someone else's up.

• Reply 58 of 77
    Looks like this table by RBW, but its metal, so it can be thinner. And i'd say both the camera and the desk look like newson more then ives. Besides the choice of materials and small details.
    http://richbrilliantwilling.com/products/plinth-table
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Wow. Just wow. I hope these two start collaborating on some future Apple device designs. The possibilities are just amazing.

Apple-designed workspace furniture? OK! Bring it!!!

Apple-designed transportation vehicles (trains, planes, automobiles, bicycles, etc.)? I'll take one of each! Sight unseen!

Apple-designed Camera? Ditto! oh wait%u2026. I've already got one! Make it 'standalone' like that Leica though, and %u2026. yum.

Apple-designed interiors? Cutlery? Cookware?

Yep. They could go anywhere with their talents, and it would probably end up museum worthy...
  • Reply 60 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post

as much I love Apple, this time Ive and Newson they just copied a desk and make in aluminum.

The desk is called Shift designed from Norman Foster for Tecno in 2011.

http://www.tecnospa.com/products/Shift

who wants one? :-)

You sure don't understand the nuances of design, do you. Especially industrial design. Many designs follow similar "form", but are applied very differently. "Round" tables can appear SO very differently, and yet, they are all "round". Are you saying all round tables are "just copying" some far-flung original design? Of course not! 

These tables also follow a similar FORM, true. But the similarities stop there. In designs like these, nuances take over. Your supposition although seeming "smart" is actually fairly ignorant.

Typography is a good example. Helvetica is a modern, san serif typeface. There are many san serif typefaces, some quite similar to Helvetica, but they are not actually COPIES of it. Many ARE variations of Helvetica (e.g Helvetica Neue), but many even similar looking fonts, are NOT remotely the same. And again, the devil is in the details. If you compare the Shift right alongside the Ive/Newson table, the DIFFERENCES stand out far more obviously than the similarities do. 

Beginning with materials and finish, they are completely different animals. 

Next is proportion. Also very different, from the overhang to the supports in relation to the overall width/height.

"Weight" (meaning as a subset of proportion) is also handled very differently in the designs. 

Overall shape: even though both are 'rectangular slabs with rounded extremities', looking at them closely, they are treated completely differently. The Shift has an "oval" at the ends, where the other is much flatter in the curve. The Shift could be called an "elongated oval" (and you'd be nuts to try and say THAT has never been done before the Shift came along), while the Ive/Newsone piece more a "rounded rectangle".

They are similar forms (rather Pi shaped, or based on asian temple motifs), with the slab legs (and neither are "ground breaking firsts" there either), but the similarities really do stop there.

Yours was a pretty simple-minded comparison.

I should also say, I've seen the Shift in person, and found it a fairly ugly piece of furniture. Something tells me I wouldn't feel the same about this one. And THAT is where design really sets things apart.