iPhone 5s takes 64% of Apple's smartphone sales, 5c with 27%, survey finds

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    sog35 wrote: »
    but, but, but no one wants to buy the 5C.

/s

how much more evidence do we need to show the 5C was a great move?

Wrong - do not just look at numbers, look at context. 5C was outsold 2-1, despite the fact that it was widely available throughout this period. 5S was in very poor supply and still could beat 5C easily.

I would say, there's a lot of upgraders from 4S who would have ideally liked the 5S, but did not have the patience to wait, so picked up 5C instead.

5C is a major mistake by Apple, and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow. I expect that Apple will continue the same pricing and availability strategy internationally as well, to push more 5C units.

The 5C is the first ever phone that is so easily available in first month of sales!
  • Reply 102 of 113
    Personally, I think everyone is missing out on a very important point about the iPhone 5c. And that is, it is not new. The iPhone 5c is pretty much the same as the iPhone 5. Both phones have the same CPU (Apple A6), same amount of RAM, etc. One of the notable changes is the front facing camera. In fact, the iPhone 5c is heavier, thicker and wider than the iPhone 5. Now the question becomes, why did Apple ditch the perfectly fine iPhone 5 and create the new iPhone 5c? The answer is very simply, LTE bands. The iPhone 5 only supports a very limited number of LTE bands. It might not be a huge problem in the US as the major carriers use the LTE bands that the iPhone 5 supports. But this is not the case in other parts of the world. For example, only 3 or 4 carriers in Hong Kong use the bands that the iPhone 5 supports. Customers who are on other networks would not be able to buy an iPhone because they might be tied to a contract. Apple is the type of company that wants to sell as many products to as many people as possible. They want to make their products more accessible. Since they always lower the price of the older model, they will face a problem if they do not provide an update version of the iPhone 5. Therefore, the iPhone 5c is the solution to their problem. The iPhone 5c is not meant to be cheap, it is meant to replace the iPhone 5 with more LTE bands making it more accessible to users. A lot of people are saying that the iPhone 5c is a failure because it only has 27% of all the iPhone sales, but consider the points I just mentioned. 27% is a huge amount for an upgraded version of the phone that is a year old.
  • Reply 103 of 113
    Originally Posted by clementmak View Post

Personally, I think everyone is missing out on a very important point about the iPhone 5c. And that is, it is not new. The iPhone 5c is pretty much the same as the iPhone 5. Both phones have the same CPU (Apple A6), same amount of RAM, etc. One of the notable changes is the front facing camera. In fact, the iPhone 5c is heavier, thicker and wider than the iPhone 5. Now the question becomes, why did Apple ditch the perfectly fine iPhone 5 and create the new iPhone 5c? The answer is very simply, LTE bands. The iPhone 5 only supports a very limited number of LTE bands. It might not be a huge problem in the US as the major carriers use the LTE bands that the iPhone 5 supports. But this is not the case in other parts of the world. For example, only 3 or 4 carriers in Hong Kong use the bands that the iPhone 5 supports. Customers who are on other networks would not be able to buy an iPhone because they might be tied to a contract. Apple is the type of company that wants to sell as many products to as many people as possible. They want to make their products more accessible. Since they always lower the price of the older model, they will face a problem if they do not provide an update version of the iPhone 5. Therefore, the iPhone 5c is the solution to their problem. The iPhone 5c is not meant to be cheap, it is meant to replace the iPhone 5 with more LTE bands making it more accessible to users. A lot of people are saying that the iPhone 5c is a failure because it only has 27% of all the iPhone sales, but consider the points I just mentioned. 27% is a huge amount for an upgraded version of the phone that is a year old.

You. Stick around. You’ll do good work.

• Reply 104 of 113
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    macarena wrote: »
    Wrong - do not just look at numbers, look at context. 5C was outsold 2-1, despite the fact that it was widely available throughout this period. 5S was in very poor supply and still could beat 5C easily.

I would say, there's a lot of upgraders from 4S who would have ideally liked the 5S, but did not have the patience to wait, so picked up 5C instead.

5C is a major mistake by Apple, and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow. I expect that Apple will continue the same pricing and availability strategy internationally as well, to push more 5C units.

The 5C is the first ever phone that is so easily available in first month of sales!

So much wrong, so little time. People who want the 5S aren't going to get the 5C. Again, the two models target two different audiences. The 5C targets the android, BBRY, WinMob refugees; those that don't need the latest and greatest; price conscious consumers; feature phone upgraders.
  • Reply 105 of 113
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So much wrong, so little time. People who want the 5S aren't going to get the 5C. Again, the two models target two different audiences. The 5C targets the android, BBRY, WinMob refugees; those that don't need the latest and greatest; price conscious consumers; feature phone upgraders.

Restricting 5s sales, the more expensive/profitable product, to favor the CHEAPER product? How does that make sense in any world? I agree APPLE positioned the 5c at other phones, not the 5s, hence in part it's individual look, they HAVE a formal phone in the 4/4s/5/5s series: so now they go for fun and don't cannibalize their flagship which BTW makes the sales additive not zero-sum. And that's a smart move.

• Reply 106 of 113
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clementmak View Post

Another excellent point. 

• Reply 107 of 113
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

When you make a phone, you can price it any way you want. But that's the thing, the 5S is superior to the 5c. So if money isn't an object, peeps would splurge with extra $100 to get it. However, many people do consider price as an issue so they'll settle for the 5C.

You assume people do not have other criteria. For example, some people might prefer a plastic case. Some people might like color options. Moreover, some people might not think $100 more is worth it for the 5S. 

• Reply 108 of 113
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Restricting 5s sales, the more expensive/profitable product, to favor the CHEAPER product? How does that make sense in any world? I agree APPLE positioned the 5c at other phones, not the 5s, hence in part it's individual look, they HAVE a formal phone in the 4/4s/5/5s series: so now they go for fun and don't cannibalize their flagship which BTW makes the sales additive not zero-sum. And that's a smart move.
    Who says they are restricting sales of the 5S? They make, they sell. There's only so many they can make.
  • Reply 109 of 113

Who says they are restricting sales of the 5S?

Every fandroid, claiming that Apple only “sells out” every iPhone by holding back stock at launch.

• Reply 110 of 113
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Who says they are restricting sales of the 5S? They make, they sell. There's only so many they can make.

Apologies, yours wasn't the post where the speculation was the 5s was being restrained by Apple to push people to the (proved by it being in stock) 5c.

Not sure how that happened...

Ah, at the time I figured it was an expansion of and a support for your post. Elaborating on why constraining 5s to benefit the 5c made no sense in response to "and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow."

[It all seemed to straightforward in my head]. part of the problem is the forum doesn't include the quotes within the quotes, IMHO.

• Reply 111 of 113
    Apologies, yours wasn't the post where the speculation was the 5s was being restrained by Apple to push people to the (proved by it being in stock) 5c.

Not sure how that happened...

Ah, at the time I figured it was an expansion of and a support for your post. Elaborating on why constraining 5s to benefit the 5c made no sense in response to "and I believe Apple is curbing availability of 5S to push sales of 5C somehow."

[It all seemed to straightforward in my head]. part of the problem is the forum doesn't include the quotes within the quotes, IMHO.

Ah. No problem. I know a few posters like to quote 30 posts or write pages of text so it does get confusing.
  • Reply 112 of 113

Well, under normal circumstances, it makes no sense to restrict supply of the 5S to push the 5C.

However, if you are sitting on tons of 5C inventory, on which demand is much lesser than you anticipated, you might do things that you normally wouldn't do!