What to expect from Apple's Oct. 22 event: iPads, Macs, Mavericks & more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    No mention of a new Apple Cinema Display that thins down like the iMacs and is 4K to meet the capabilities of the new Mac Pro (and new MBPs with TB2)?
  • Reply 22 of 97
    Obviously not all of these things are going to happen. The trick is to expect none of them at all and then be happy with what you get.

Analysts, being worthless idiots, do the opposite.

All AppleInsider has to do is change "Analysts expect Apple to..." to "Apple expected to..." and boom, instant credibility! See how easy it was?
  • Reply 23 of 97
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Here is what I want to see at the event: Announcement of China Mobile deal.  750 Million customers being offered Apple products.

A new mini with retina and a fingerprint reader would be HUGE judging from the public appetite around the world for the 5S.

Of course the Analysts will spin it negatively... until they reach the point at which the herd panics and starts to run in the direction of 'Apple is doing great.'

Once that happens, the Analysts again will start competing to see who can make the most outlandish claims about Apple's future success.

I just feel badly for the folks who are STILL publishing every bad thing they can think of about Apple.  The latest was CNBC today proclaiming the 5C a failure because it sold the same percentage as last year's 4S -- even though even a tiny amount of logic would tell them that the same percentage of vastly increased sales means MORE 5C sales.

Whatever.  Logic is out the window: with the media, with our government.  Facts, reason, moderation, and objectivity don't seem to be the values of the day lol.

Sorry, just my unsolicited boring and probably bogus personal observation!

• Reply 24 of 97
    andysol wrote: »
    A7X AppleTV with 8 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD, 802.11ac WiFi, HDMI In and Out

Mmm... how many AppleTVs will you need?
    I'll take 3 please.  What would that cost- $249 per?  I don't know why the 8gb ram though- that's quite excessive.  Also- why the 32gb ssd and not 16?

The RAM and SSD capacities are need for caching:
    • Multiple, concurrent streams to iPad "personal TVs"
    • Game Console games (cross-loaded from iTunes) for iPad game controllers AirPlayed to the AppleTV HDTV

The enhanced AirPlay for gaming, would involve storing game software/graphics at both ends:  1) the iPad game controllers;  2) the AppleTV. Each end would generate/display its own graphics. The data transferred between the iPads and AppleTV would be a small fraction -- just a shorthand stream containing: x,y,z location, scale, action codes, results codes, etc. -- not the graphics, themselves.

Then, when 4K TV becomes common, the AppleTV will need even more RAM and SSD storage and a faster APU.
  • Reply 25 of 97
    No mention of iWork? It's not been updated for ages. I hope an updated iWork will be released on Oct 22.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    anant wrote: »
    No mention of iWork? It's not been updated for ages. I hope an updated iWork will be released on Oct 22.

And free… as well as Mavericks being free.
  • Reply 27 of 97
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Sigh, it may turn out to be an expensive month. (giggle).

• Reply 28 of 97
    duplicate
  • Reply 29 of 97
    anant wrote: »

Yes! Apple needs to update Pages and Numbers to provide 80% of the features that non-pro Office users use.

And, they need to provide feature parity between OSX and iOS iWork apps.
  • Reply 30 of 97
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! Apple needs to update Pages and Numbers to provide 80% of the features that non-pro Office users use.

During WWDC, Apple did mention that they were going to launch new iWork apps for iOS and OSX this fall so there's a good chance it'll get covered in the keynote.  Anyway this is my prediction;

State of the iPad - iPad usage / market share, etc.

rMBP announcement & prices

Mac Pro release date & Price

Mavericks release date & price

iWorks

iPad mini retina - A6X, no Touch ID

iPad 5 - A7X, Touch ID

iPad accessories

not necessarily in that order.  As for the Apple TV, I think the next iteration will be a big update. I think Apple will want to leave that for a separate event.

• Reply 31 of 97
    Angela Ahrendts - Now that's exciting!

The next set of Apple announcements will be to introduce the usual well designed and crafted Apple products we know so well, plus, hopefully a visually 'tarted up' OS will be winging it's way to our machines. But - Ahrendts, this year's queen of the catwalk! What delights are in store for us now? Tartan iPad covers? Silk sleeves for our iPhones? A range of iPad/iPhone handbags?

Joking apart, If she can get the stuffy old brigade moving away from the visual austerity of current Apple designs, as great as they are, that would be something!

Greatrix
  • Reply 32 of 97

Before the end of this year i will like to have - a Mac Pro, Modo 701 and a Cintiq 13HD.

Perhaps an iPhone 5C or an iPhone 5.

Will you be my genie?

• Reply 33 of 97

Even if they got just a couple percent closer every year I think people would be fine with Apple so long as they showed continued interest in improving iWork.
  • Reply 34 of 97
    Forgot to mention the Thunderbolt Display.. thats WAAAAY overdue.. Also, Them releasing a Mac Pro and not at least announcing a 4k display would be.. odd.. being that it can handle three 4k displays as one of it's major features..

I want to see 27" Thunderbolt Display updated to TB2, USB 3.0 (6 ports) and drop Firewire. Maybe add another Thunderbolt port.

Would also like to see The Retina Macbook Pro get Thunderbolt 2 standard as well. They could have released it when they did the Macbook Airs.. but I think they were waiting on TB2 standard to release the Mac and Macbook Pro's at same time..

I know.. dreaming.. don't pop my bubble.. ;p
  • Reply 35 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

isn't calling out Gazelle as 'An AppleInsider Partner' clearly stating the 'interest'

I read it as such.  No need for any more explanation or disclaimer.

The original comment was: "If AppleInsider is being paid by Gazelle for advertising, this should be clearly stated"

His reply was: "Why?"

My reply was to his reply, which had no bearing on the content of the original post.

• Reply 36 of 97
    adrayven wrote: »
    Forgot to mention the Thunderbolt Display.. thats WAAAAY overdue.. Also, Them releasing a Mac Pro and not at least announcing a 4k display would be.. odd.. being that it can handle three 4k displays as one of it's major features..

I want to see 27" Thunderbolt Display updated to TB2, USB 3.0 (6 ports) and drop Firewire. Maybe add another Thunderbolt port.

Would also like to see The Retina Macbook Pro get Thunderbolt 2 standard as well. They could have released it when they did the Macbook Airs.. but I think they were waiting on TB2 standard to release the Mac and Macbook Pro's at same time..

I know.. dreaming.. don't pop my bubble.. ;p

If they have a 4K display out soon I think it'll be 31.5" since that's what all the computer display makers seem to be producing.
  • Reply 37 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

If they have a 4K display out soon I think it'll be 31.5" since that's what all the displays seem to be making.

A 4K display from Apple would be a thing of beauty.

• Reply 38 of 97
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

isn't calling out Gazelle as 'An AppleInsider Partner' clearly stating the 'interest'

I read it as such.  No need for any more explanation or disclaimer.

I think this is not about what relationship Appleinsider has to the products it is promoting, it is about promoting a product within the text of an article that annoys people. It is like putting extra sentences into an article just in order to being able to mention the products it has affiliate links for. 

It's annoying because you start reading the promotional text thinking it is part of the story and while reading it you start to wonder how this relates to the story and then you realise that it is actually a promotion. It is like somebody telling you a somewhat incredible story (that is just made up) and you initially believe and when you are told (or realise yourself) that it was just made up, you feel cheated but also a bit stupid about yourself for not having spotted this earlier. 

From now on we can jump to the next paragraph whenever we see the word Gazelle but if Gazelle plays a legitimate part in the story or if part of the paragraph contained genuine information, we might miss that. 

Like product placement in movie or TV shows, if it becomes too obvious it detracts from the story, yanking your mind out from the actual story. 

• Reply 39 of 97
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Even if they got just a couple percent closer every year I think people would be fine with Apple so long as they showed continued interest in improving iWork.

I think it is pretty clear that they consider iWork important for them, first by making fully-fledged iOS versions (with only some very few features missing) and then web-based versions. And doing both first is understandable, and keeping a stable feature set while as well. One can now hope that all three will evolve in lockstep.

It is a widely accepted position that Google is ahead of Apple in relate cloud services. Apple just now is catching up to where Google is with Google Docs (renamed to Google Drive now) but surpassing them in quality of the documents.

• Reply 40 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Evidently you've never heard of "conflict of interest"?

how are those interest conflicting?