What to expect from Apple's Oct. 22 event: iPads, Macs, Mavericks & more

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

They still have to wait in line to get in right??

If you’re not buying the new device, no. That’s just stupid.

• Reply 82 of 97
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My curiosity about what is about to happen to the Mini continues to grow. I'm still expecting a new device of some sort. The lack of interest with respect to the Mini is saddening.
  • Reply 83 of 97
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I echo your statement wizard. We need Haswell minis in my view.
  • Reply 84 of 97
    winter wrote: »
    I echo your statement wizard. We need Haswell minis in my view.

At least one model needs to be Haswell with Iris graphics. All the silence though has me suspecting that we will get something different from Apple. We only have a couple days to go and have yet to hear squat about the Mini. That is highly unusual to say the least.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My curiosity about what is about to happen to the Mini continues to grow. I'm still expecting a new device of some sort. The lack of interest with respect to the Mini is saddening.

I don't expect a new Mini at this event, but I think when it is updated it will be a bigger update than usual. Other companies have caught up too much (e.g. the Intel NUC lineup) and Apple doesn't like that. And Haswell should enable a smaller enclosure anyway. I am thinking the next Mini is going to be something shocking (shockingly good), such as 50% thinner.

• Reply 86 of 97
    ascii wrote: »
    I don't expect a new Mini at this event, but I think when it is updated it will be a bigger update than usual. Other companies have caught up too much (e.g. the Intel NUC lineup) and Apple doesn't like that. And Haswell should enable a smaller enclosure anyway. I am thinking the next Mini is going to be something shocking (shockingly good), such as 50% thinner.

Bleh thinner... hate the obsession with thinness. And at 50%? Just provide Iris graphics and flash storage and leave it at that. Keep it simple.
  • Reply 87 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you’re not buying the new device, no. That’s just stupid.

We are talking about android fans here....

• Reply 88 of 97
    I don't expect a new Mini at this event, but I think when it is updated it will be a bigger update than usual.
    I just think the timing is right. Intel is shipping the right chips and something is needed to spur sales.
    Other companies have caught up too much (e.g. the Intel NUC lineup) and Apple doesn't like that.
    Well a lot of companies copy Apple. I think the bigger issue is that the demand for these low performance desktops has gone south. As such, I see Apple going in a direction where the Mini or its replacement is a more powerful machine.
    And Haswell should enable a smaller enclosure anyway. I am thinking the next Mini is going to be something shocking (shockingly good), such as 50% thinner.

Haswell is interesting because I can see Apple using its power advantages and Iris Pro to deliver a new class of Mini. That in either the same box or a new design.
  • Reply 89 of 97
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I think the bigger issue is that the demand for these low performance desktops has gone south. As such, I see Apple going in a direction where the Mini or its replacement is a more powerful machine.

That's an interesting idea, I hadn't considered they might change direction. People buying iPad instead. There is still the SOHO server application that you can't really use an iPad for.

In terms of hobbyist buying to put in their car type computers (which was one original buyer of the mini so many years ago) people have another option these days too - the Raspberry Pi and other tiny ARM based computers.

• Reply 90 of 97
    I'm thinking once Broadwell or Skylake hits, then the time to go thinner will make much more sense. I think we can squeeze one more year out of the current design.
  • Reply 91 of 97

I want a Mac Mini with an iPad dock built in. When I get back from clients, or working on the road, I simply dock my iPad and 1) Mac Mini has direct access to content so that I can open, move, share. 2) iPad can still be used for apps, music or iChat. 

• Reply 92 of 97
    That's an interesting idea, I hadn't considered they might change direction. People buying iPad instead. There is still the SOHO server application that you can't really use an iPad for.
    The Mini just doesn't impress me as a SOHO server. Even so it doesn't need a great deal of improvement or overhaul to make it a better platform for a SOHO server.
    In terms of hobbyist buying to put in their car type computers (which was one original buyer of the mini so many years ago) people have another option these days too - the Raspberry Pi and other tiny ARM based computers.

Interesting you should mention those little single board computers. It is an alternative that Apple has now to produce such small computing devices that would allow them to clobber the Intel world. One of the big problems with the single board ARM world is the lack of anybody setting a hardware standard. If Apple could set a hardware standard it might give ARM a little more traction in the I86 replacement business.
  • Reply 93 of 97
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

When will these processors start to appear in the Mac Mini's?

• Reply 94 of 97
    marvfox wrote: »
    When will these processors start to appear in the Mac Mini's?

Well everyone is hoping tomorrow. If not tomorrow at least a release date is revealed. We have less than 24 hours to go and we have heard zip, not even a rumor about a Mini upgrade or replacement so who knows.
  • Reply 95 of 97
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I want a Mac Mini with an iPad dock built in. When I get back from clients, or working on the road, I simply dock my iPad and 1) Mac Mini has direct access to content so that I can open, move, share. 2) iPad can still be used for apps, music or iChat. 

I once wrote Apple suggesting a mid sized desktop computer that had docks on top for iPods and iPhones. Would always know where your iPhone was.

My family plugs the chargers in all over the house and then can't remember where they left their iPhone.

• Reply 96 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Frankly, I do not expect any major changes to the iPad mini, especially no Retina display upgrade. It's unnecessary as a lower priced iPad option which effectively replaced the low-end first-gen iPad.

My best guess is that they'll adopt the same strategy as the full-size iPad, namely keep the original Mini but at a lower price point and introduce a premium retina iPad Mini (hopefully with an A7x processor).

• Reply 97 of 97
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Everything is a secret with Apple you know this I presume.