Apple reportedly cutting iPhone 5c orders as it boosts 5s production [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 162
    The 5S is a higher margin product, the 5C is selling better than the 4S when the 5 was released. So overall, a two wins for Apple, with a higher margin sales mix. Not to mention the 4S is still selling as well as the 4 in eastern countries such as China and India. No one seems to notice Apple has a low-end phone too, just not in the Western world.
  • Reply 62 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I can almost guarantee you that they will say it is selling well, just as much as I can almost guarantee you that they won't say it isn't selling as well as they had hoped.

Well assuming the 5C has better margins, if its not selling well one would assume Apple will report higher than expected ASPs and lower margins. And no I don't expect Apple to say its not selling like they had hoped, but I still think we'll get some color from their comments. And if we don't then perhaps the 5C is selling within their expectations and all this fake concern by the media is just BS.
  • Reply 63 of 162
    tbell wrote: »

Except Apple did not change the price for the original iPhone. Originally it was not subsidized. AT&T then subsidized it. Apple made the same amount of money. 

A gift card ($100? $200? I forget) I got from Apple for my 'full-price' iPhone purchase says they did.

Soon thereafter, Apple discontinued the 4GB model, and cut the price of the 8GB by a couple of hundred dollars before Christmas, as I recall. I am sure you can look it up. I don't have the time.
  • Reply 64 of 162
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The question is.  How much would it cost to add one to the Touch?  If the Touch costs £199 or £250 for the low end or mid range options.

Would it cost £150s to add an antenna to the entry model?  Would it cost £100 to add an antenna and phone chipset to the mid range model?

I'm just curious.  How much do these parts cost.

This is what drives me nuts about the average person's analysis of what it takes to create technology: it's just the cost of the parts right?  Wrong.  To redesign a case so that it fits a larger battery, doesn't interfere with an antenna, and has a different mainboard layout takes a team of industrial designers, electrical engineers, and computer hardware engineers.  Want to guess how much those salaries are?

• Reply 65 of 162

If it is true that they are cutting orders for 5C, I am surprised that Apple misread the demand for its product. They know that they have more flexibility in price range with iPhone 5C as we have seen large retailers offering iPhone 5C at a discounted price than as advertised by Apple. It could have been marketing gamble to rake in more margins initially and when the demands subsides, lower the price to sell more units.

• Reply 66 of 162
    Originally Posted by miltenb View Post

5c is just too expensive compared to 5s.

Wrong.

Should I upgrade I’ll gladly pay $100 extra…

And that’s what iPhone purchasers have been doing for the past five years. Nothing new here.

There is a crisis going on. 

Totally bogus.

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

That said, is the 5C selling as well as a 4S a year ago? Or better?

Apparently it’s doing slightly better. I’d imagine the colors are to thank for that.

Originally Posted by ayani1 View Post

The iPhone 5c could have been popular

It IS popular.

Originally Posted by Mavericks View Post

The price of 5c is not right.

Of course it is.

Originally Posted by miltenb View Post

Actually, It does have a backbone and is just common sense. 

No, it doesn’t.

However, if you price the two too close together, you'll end up with quite a few unsold 5c's.

They’re not priced too close. 

• Reply 67 of 162
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I would not at all be surprised if this story is true. It was quite obvious that the relative pricing of the 5C was a mistake from the get-go. Apple had a chance to blow away the competition there, but chose not to do it.

Many of us called it on Day 1, and took grief for it.

I have no doubt that there will be a mea culpa and the pricing will be changed. Not a big deal, Apple has done it before, most famously with the original iPhone.

Btw, give journalists a bit of a break. Some of the conspiratorial comments here about the WSJ -- no, I don't work for them -- border on paranoia. They're just doing their job. Sometimes they may get wrong, but a lot of the times, they are spot on.

I have very little doubt that Apple will NOT give a mea culpa and lower the price.  Even if Apple, in retrospect, decides that a lower price for the 5c would have been better (and it's far from obvious that that is the case), there is no way they would apologize for the initial price.  That would be turning a victory (millions of sales of 5Cs to happy customers, and apparently even more millions of sales of 5Ss) into a defeat.  How stupid would you have to do be to do that?  On a personal note, I know 2 people who wanted a new iPhone and didn't see the sense in spending an extra $100 for features they didn't value.  In both cases they love the color options and love their new phones (and probably feel pretty smug that they have the same iPhone experience I have plus an extra $100 in their pocket).

Would Apple have sold more 5Cs at a lower price?  Of course.  Would they have sold fewer 5Ss?  Yes.  Can they lower the price of the 5C over time to pick up additional sales?  Yes.  I don't get why this is turning into to such a drama.

• Reply 68 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well assuming the 5C has better margins, if its not selling well one would assume Apple will report higher than expected ASPs and lower margins. And no I don't expect Apple to say its not selling like they had hoped, but I still think we'll get some color from their comments. And if we don't then perhaps the 5C is selling within their expectations and all this fake concern by the media is just BS.

Assuming.

• Reply 69 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I have very little doubt that Apple will NOT give a mea culpa and lower the price.  Even if Apple, in retrospect, decides that a lower price for the 5c would have been better (and it's far from obvious that that is the case), there is no way they would apologize for the initial price.  That would be turning a victory (millions of sales of 5Cs to happy customers, and apparently even more millions of sales of 5Ss) into a defeat.  How stupid would you have to do be to do that?  On a personal note, I know 2 people who wanted a new iPhone and didn't see the sense in spending an extra $100 for features they didn't value.  In both cases they love the color options and love their new phones (and probably feel pretty smug that they have the same iPhone experience I have plus an extra $100 in their pocket).

Would Apple have sold more 5Cs at a lower price?  Of course.  Would they have sold fewer 5Ss?  Yes.  Can they lower the price of the 5C over time to pick up additional sales?  Yes.  I don't get why this is turning into to such a drama.

As stupid as Steven P. Jobs.

• Reply 70 of 162
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    sflocal wrote: »

Of course... that little tidbit won't stop people from publishing such nonsense.

I miss the days of "real" journalism.  This is just crap one would find on-par with the National Enquirer.  Any articles about "Bat Boy" by any chance?

Let me break it to you: real journalism or not, AppleInsider is full of these kinds of articles, they republish them, you read them and comment on them. This is nothing new, for people to unofficially predict and guess businesses' moves. Many times they are correct, many times they are not.
  • Reply 71 of 162
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Matching all your outfit to 1 colour, unless it's a wedding, is a "Fashion Don't".

Is somebody at Vogue smoking crack?

Ah the left brain take on art -- must try to fit it into an arbitrary box of rules to make sense of it.

• Reply 72 of 162
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    malax wrote: »

Agree. I couldn't care less about the 5c but it has it's market. For example:
    http://www.todaysiphone.com/2013/10/3-weeks-with-the-new-iphones-and-why-im-probably-selling-my-iphone-5s/

I simply read this news as a "We can't attack the 5s because of 9 million figures so let's attack the 5c instead." bullshit from WSJ.
  • Reply 73 of 162
    What happened to that same efficient estimating and proper planning with the 5s.

Originally Posted by starbird73

Remember, they can build these 5c phones faster than the 5 or 5s.
  • Reply 74 of 162
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    5c = $550 - $650
    5s = $650 - $850

Apple priced the 5c so that the 5s is the smart buy.

What's an extra $100 when you're spending $550?

If they priced it at $450, they would see more movement...which they wouldn't want.
  • Reply 75 of 162
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If he were still alive and didn't learn from past mistakes.  The fact that they cut the price of the original iPhone and pissed off the early adopters is not a justification for repeating that fiasco.  The way to make happy customers into unhappy ones is to make them look like suckers.  That's exactly why a mea culpa would be insane (to say nothing of being unnecessary).

• Reply 76 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Originally Posted by starbird73

Remember, they can build these 5c phones faster than the 5 or 5s.

I keep hearing that but I've seen no evidence of it from Apple.

• Reply 77 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

If he were still alive and didn't learn from past mistakes.  The fact that they cut the price of the original iPhone and pissed off the early adopters is not a justification for repeating that fiasco.  The way to make happy customers into unhappy ones is to make them look like suckers.  That's exactly why a mea culpa would be insane (to say nothing of being unnecessary).

Yeah... you're right. Apple sure has suffered from all those past mea culpas (real and otherwise).

• Reply 78 of 162
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Since changing colors on these things wouldn't be such a large task, I say they should change the colors up to make them not only collectable, but appeal to different consumers. I say it is a great time to offer a black model and other more adult or sophisticated color pallets, like sand or eggshell, the list can be endless
  • Reply 79 of 162
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It’s really not at all the same argument.

• Reply 80 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

Since changing colors on these things wouldn't be such a large task, I say they should change the colors up to make them not only collectable, but appeal to different consumers. I say it is a great time to offer a black model and other more adult or sophisticated color pallets, like sand or eggshell, the list can be endless

Hmmm... you might be right but the first thing I thought about was that a black 5c would look really cheap.