Apple reportedly cutting iPhone 5c orders as it boosts 5s production [u]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I have no doubt that the earnings will look good given aggregate number of iPhones sold. However, given past calls, I'd be very surprised if we got any information from Cook or Oppenheimer that breaks down 5S v. 5C numbers.

I don't think they would compare those either.  But why would they- that's a dumb comparison.  I would love for them to announce the 5c vs 4s from last year- even if just percentage differences and not specific units.  That is a valid comparison year over year, and the results would be staggering.

I don't understand the 5s vs 5c comparison.  Compare the 5s to the 5 last year and compare the 5c to the 4s last year.  Both are dominating their predecessor, which is a huge win for Apple.

• Reply 102 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dillio wrote: »
    Funny how much in denial you people are, about this flop called IPhone 5c. I don't think anyone except Tim Cook and Jony Ive asked for a plastic phone, and in those colors, and at that price. Go ahead with your replies, but it shapes up to be true, as the latest rumors come it (yes, I said rumors, I know they are rumors; not all rumors all all false you know). Apple needs to catch up with the times, and update iOS and the iPhone meaningfully. At least the others are trying, and eventually Apple will copy them (control center anyone, notification center?, next touch-less voice control?) But Apple can do some things now just to catch up with itself: fix iMessage, fix control center so I don't turn my Bluetooth off and on when I try to swipe it back down, sweat those little details, Jony, like you boast in those videos.  And fix the horrible interface and functionality of Podcasts app, for G-d's sake. And update all those skeuomorphic leftover apps already. 

Haha. Go back to sleep, troll.
  • Reply 103 of 162
    ayani1 wrote: »
    The iphone 5c could have been popular if they made them in colored metal like the touch. Plastic seems too synonymous with cheap.

Or maybe demand for last year's phone was never higher than the new model. Changing case color and/or material doesn't make it the latest and greatest iPhone model.
  • Reply 104 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

The comments by milting & racingbull indicate that Apple has got its pricing right with the 5C.

The more affordable 5C attracts people wanting/aspiring to a new iPhone but on careful consideration they feel that the extra is worth it for the state of the art 5S, the most advanced smartphone around.

Also retailers discounts for the 5C attracts and pulls in potential buyers to stores, many of whom also upgrade to the 5S.

As racingbull rightly says, the 5S a better investment and will command a significantly higher trade in value, making it cheaper in the long run.

Both the 5S and 5C have similarly high margins for Apple, but more people moving to 64 bit, Touch ID and motion sensor M7 chip create new opportunities for developers. There will be a rush of new, high quality Apps making use of these new features, greatly increasing the already large quality gap between iOS Apps, compared to inferior Android Apps.

...What it says is that Apple quite happily developed tooling for, and produced, millions of 5Cs so that it would sit on shelves and entice people to buy the 5S instead. Seriously?

What it also says it that there is little reason to buy the 5C. Which is evidently true if the newspaper is to be believed and production is being cut back….

I suspect with the holiday season coming up that the 5c will probably be a good seller for those buying for their kids/grandkids… etc. What little I know about manufacturing tells me it is better to a bunch a once and then have them available. I just don't see Apple having to eat the 5cs and its not like Apple had to borrow the money to pay for the inventory.

The other very important factor, if other rumors are to believed, is that Apple has several more new products in the pipeline for this year. Most of those are going to need high resolution screen (retina or retina+) and in the past this seems to have been a bottleneck. I realize we are talking about different size screens for different products but the difficulties remain, if not get worse as the size gets larger.

I also think it is great that Apple is able to get a bit of a breather and only be manufacturing 3 variants of the 5s, and the 4s. Adding another 5 variants of the 5c really complicates things. (BTW: I intentionally left out the different carrier versions and the different memory configs which although small the difference SKUs does complicate matters quite a bit.)

• Reply 105 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayani1 View Post

The iphone 5c could have been popular if they made them in colored metal like the touch. Plastic seems too synonymous with cheap.

Or maybe demand for last year's phone was never higher than the new model. Changing case color and/or material doesn't make it the latest and greatest iPhone model.

+1

• Reply 106 of 162
    Originally Posted by dillio View Post

Funny how much in denial you people are, about this flop called IPhone 5c.

Prove it or shut your trap.

I don’t think anyone except Tim Cook and Jony Ive asked for…

I don’t think anyone gives a frick about what you “ask” for, not just Apple.

Apple needs to catch up with the times, and update iOS and the iPhone meaningfully.

It’s the fastest phone on the planet. Just shut up. 

…so I don’t…

“Apple needs to stop me from being impatient.” Good luck with that.

• Reply 107 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dillio View Post

Funny how much in denial you people are, about this flop called IPhone 5c. I don't think anyone except Tim Cook and Jony Ive asked for a plastic phone, and in those colors, and at that price. Go ahead with your replies, but it shapes up to be true, as the latest rumors come it (yes, I said rumors, I know they are rumors; not all rumors all all false you know). Apple needs to catch up with the times, and update iOS and the iPhone meaningfully. At least the others are trying, and eventually Apple will copy them (control center anyone, notification center?, next touch-less voice control?) But Apple can do some things now just to catch up with itself: fix iMessage, fix control center so I don't turn my Bluetooth off and on when I try to swipe it back down, sweat those little details, Jony, like you boast in those videos.  And fix the horrible interface and functionality of Podcasts app, for G-d's sake. And update all those skeuomorphic leftover apps already. 

@dillio:

I'd say go away -- and while you are away you might make it a habit to proof your emails and fact check them e.g.,  "Go ahead with your replies, but it shapes up to be true, as the latest rumors come it (yes, I said rumors, I know they are rumors; not all rumors all all false you know)." If true can you quote a reliable source? Didn't think so.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

Rumor

a currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth

• Reply 108 of 162

Define "flop" in this case. Why is it a flop? It's last years's iPhone 5 in a colored plastic case. And it's selling better than the iPhone 4S did when it was replaced one year ago.

If Apple discovers than the ratio of 5s to 5c demand is different than initially predicted, of course they're going to tweak future orders to meet where the customer demand is. Don't confuse supply chain balancing for "flop."
  • Reply 109 of 162
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    djsherly wrote: »
    This reasoning is just as made up as any 'analysts'. 
    Nope it is a rational consideration of the facts. It really says that iPhone 5S has been more successful than Apple expected.

What it says is that Apple quite happily developed tooling for, and produced, millions of 5Cs so that it would sit on shelves and entice people to buy the 5S instead. Seriously?
    Ahh but they aren't sitting on shelves, they are the second highest seller behind Apples 5s for many carriers. Effectively Apple has the #1 & #2 spots sewed up at the carriers. Fall this really says is that Apple is moving more 5S phones than expected.
    What it also says it that there is little reason to buy the 5C. Which is evidently true if the newspaper is to be believed and production is being cut back.
    Actually that is baloney, old products effectively get ramped down production wise as the mainline iPhone takes over. No one would rationally expect the 5C to maintain sales volumes after the initial release of the phone. It isn't the flagship product and wouldn't follow a sales pattern any different that previous phone revs from Apple.

I'd expect that Apple is still selling the 5c at a rate someplace between 20-30 million a quarter even after this cut back in sales.
    BTW, the touch id is pretty cool, but I find it's rejecting my fingerprints more often after a week or so of use. Initially it was spot on.

Where have your fingers been and is the sensor clean?
  • Reply 110 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Most people I'm talking to like the 5c.  See how that argument doesn't work?

The core problem is everyone is comparing the 5c to the 5s.  They shouldn't.  It should be compared to last year's 4s.  In which case- it is incredibly improved.  I hope that Apple releases individual numbers this next Tuesday- and I think even though theyve never done it- it's a possibility.  Even if it's "we sold x% more iPhone 5c's than 4s' the first month than last year"- I think the numbers would be staggering.

No. It should be compared to last years 5, after all, that is the phone it is replacing. When compared to it all people see is that it went from a great case to a plastic case. People won't care about the improved front camera or the slightly better battery. The most important thing to them will be the casing.

As far as them releasing numbers, when has Apple ever given into pressure? It's very rare.

• Reply 111 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Ok so say its $200 cheaper and you pay $50/mo for your phone (likely more).  

5S 24 months:  $1399  (199 on contract)

5C 24 months:  $1200 (free on contract)

Ignoring aluminum vs plastic, look at what that %15 increase gets you:

• Much improved low light camera with two-tone LED flash

• Slow motion video (oh man is this fun)

• 64-bit CPU 2x perf over 5C

• New GPU 2x perf over 5C

• M7

• TouchID

Why not pop for the badass model?  I think to make the 5C attractive they need to push the price even lower for off-contract or for countries where phones are not subsidized. 

In every drop test I saw the 5s excelled whereas the  5c screen cracked. Almost that alone is justification for the 5s.

• Reply 112 of 162

Please remember this fact… The 5c is just the older 5 with minor spec changes and added color choices. The 5s is the "latest and greatest" model, so of course that's the model that should be selling well.

What were the 4s sales like in comparison when the 5 came out?

What were the 4 sales like in comparison when the 4s came out?

That's how you can gauge whether or not the 5c is doing poorly in relation to the 5s. Then factor in the fact that the 5c costs less to make giving Apple a better profit margin.

Context, context, context.

• Reply 113 of 162
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Define "flop" in this case. Why is it a flop? It's last years's iPhone 5 in a colored plastic case. And it's selling better than the iPhone 4S did when it was replaced one year ago.

If Apple discovers than the ratio of 5s to 5c demand is different than initially predicted, of course they're going to tweak future orders to meet where the customer demand is. Don't confuse supply chain balancing for "flop."

It is a flop because such a phone was even released. Of course some people will buy it only because Apple made it. It is a flop because it looks bad, has bad color choices, and it costs too much. Not the least, it comes with iOS7 (I hope they will improve iOS7 but for now, iOS7 is a flop in my book; too bad I can't switch back to iOS6 until 7.1 or 7.2 comes out)

• Reply 114 of 162
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It is a flop because such a phone was even released. Of course some people will buy it only because Apple made it. It is a flop because it looks bad, has bad color choices, and it costs too much.

That doesn't make any sense. Considering the source, it's not a surprise.

Don't confuse your inept personal preferences with success. The 5C isn't for me but it's still successful.
  • Reply 115 of 162
    It is a flop because such a phone was even released. Of course some people will buy it only because Apple made it. It is a flop because it looks bad, has bad color choices, and it costs too much. Not the least, it comes with iOS7 (I hope they will improve iOS7 but for now, iOS7 is a flop in my book; too bad I can't switch back to iOS6 until 7.1 or 7.2 comes out)

The iPhone 5 has virtually identical hardware, fewer color choices, and cost more. It should have been an even bigger flop than the 5c. Guess it wasn't.
  • Reply 116 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trubador View Post

Please remember this fact… The 5c is just the older 5 with minor spec changes and added color choices. The 5s is the "latest and greatest" model, so of course that's the model that should be selling well.

What were the 4s sales like in comparison when the 5 came out?

What were the 4 sales like in comparison when the 4s came out?

That's how you can gauge whether or not the 5c is doing poorly in relation to the 5s. Then factor in the fact that the 5c costs less to make giving Apple a better profit margin.

You're right.

I remember all the advertising for the 4s in September 2012 and for the 4 in October of 2011. Ads on the telly, ads in the bus shelters, huge posters in the malls... the advertising was everywhere, it was relentless... oh, wait...

• Reply 117 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

No. It should be compared to last years 5, after all, that is the phone it is replacing. When compared to it all people see is that it went from a great case to a plastic case. People won't care about the improved front camera or the slightly better battery. The most important thing to them will be the casing.

Incorrect again.  You can't compare the 5c sales with the 5 sales.  You can't create an imaginative environment where the 5 sells for $99 and compare that with how the 5c has done.  What you CAN do- is compare sales of the same tier model in the previous year- the 4s.

You're sitting here comparing the 5 and 5c- no one else is.  No one declares it a "failure" because it doesn't stack up to the 5.  People are declaring it a "failure" because they believe it's priced too high, and it isn't selling as well as the 5s.  The bottom line is that the 5s is crushing the 5's previous sales and the 5c is crushing the 4s' sales of last year.  That means the 5s is a success, as is the 5c.

The 5c and "previous model 5" should not be compared in "sales"- that's an invalid- and impossible- comparison because it's an environment that doesn't exist.

If you can give me a single review that says the 5c is a failure because it doesn't stack up well with the 5- then I'll retract everything else I said.  In the meantime, please continue to read the dozens of reviews from analysts and close-minded posters that declare the 5c a failure because of price or its comparison to the 5s.  Both are equally idiotic stances.

• Reply 118 of 162
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Are my basic math skills failing me?  

Is not 150,000 a day about 4.5 million 5c's being produced a month?

Does that not equal 13.5 million 5C's being sold per quarter?

And don't Apple's current production cuts anticipate demand after the holidays?

Isn't this is at least in line with last year's 4S sales at this time?  It seems to be the 5C is selling way better than the 4S did last year.

(Yes, we have to take into account the additional marketing costs of the 5C.  Apple wasn't out marketing the 4S heavily at this time last year.)

I predict that Apple's upcoming earnings call will indicate that iPhone sales are VERY robust.  Even if they're only selling 1 in 3 5C's, some simple math will confirm that the 5C is more of a hit than a flop.

But then, math was never my strong suit.  This seems to be something I share with most Analysts lol.

• Reply 119 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're right.

I remember all the advertising for the 4s in September 2012 and for the 4 in October of 2011. Ads on the telly, ads in the bus shelters, huge posters in the malls... the advertising was everywhere, it was relentless... oh, wait...

Just because they didn't advertise it doesn't mean it didn't exist!

The fact is the 5c is crushing the 4s sales from last year- you can blame marketing- fine.  If the marketing is paid for by the additional phones sold- all the better.  The other fact is the 5s is crushing the 5 sales from last year.  So its a double win for Apple.  More top tier phones sold, AND more mid-tier phones sold.  I'm still having trouble connecting the dots to this being a bad thing?  What's wrong with you people?!?

• Reply 120 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Just because they didn't advertise it doesn't mean it didn't exist!

The fact is the 5c is crushing the 4s sales from last year- you can blame marketing- fine.  If the marketing is paid for by the additional phones sold- all the better.  The other fact is the 5s is crushing the 5 sales from last year.  So its a double win for Apple.  More top tier phones sold, AND more mid-tier phones sold.  I'm still having trouble connecting the dots to this being a bad thing?  What's wrong with you people?!?

Crushing the 4s sales from last year?

Huh?

Where'd you get that from... please.

The iPhone 5c should be doing at least 33% and preferably 50% better than 4s sales from last year at this time.

From everything I've seen it look like a dead heat when you factor in the error margin.