Tim Cook calls 'Campus 2' Apple's future 'home for innovation and creativity'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday memorialized the Cupertino city council's unanimous approval of Apple's new "spaceship" campus with a message on his newly created Twitter account.

Tim Cook tweet


The tweet, only the fifth such missive from Apple's chief since joining the popular microblogging service in late September, called the campus Apple's "home for innovation and creativity for decades to come." Apple hopes to begin moving in to the Norman Foster-designed development in 2016.

The council's approval, given late Tuesday night after hours of discussion, means Apple is in the home stretch of the permitting process for the new campus. Opponents of the plan have a 10-day window to file petitions for the council to reconsider Apple's proposal, after which permits will be issued and Apple can begin the construction phase in earnest.

The nearly $5 billion project was introduced in 2011 by late Apple CEO Steve Jobs in what would turn out to be his final public appearance. Plans call for Apple to demolish all existing structures on the site and start from scratch, moving most of the infrastructure below ground and covering 80 percent of the land in native California grasses and trees around its new 2.6 million square foot ring-shaped main headquarters.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 21
    schlackschlack Posts: 695member
    the should give tours!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    schlack wrote: »
    the should give tours!

    That would probably make it one of the top tourist attractions in CA if they did that which means I don't think they will, but I really hope I'm wrong since it's such a great looking design.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

    the should give tours!

     

    There’s a “welcoming center”, at least. That’s as far as I figure the general public will be allowed to go, if at all.

     

    They might just leave their Corporate Store at Infinite Loop, after all. 

  • Reply 4 of 21

    UFO sightings will be seen at a regular basis :p

  • Reply 5 of 21
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Did he read MacRumor? He actually tweeted the headline from MacRumor.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i wonder how long it'll be before tim drunk-tweets something crazy in the middle of the night and has to delete his account ...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I think it's an ingenious design which should foster interaction and coordination. There also don't seen to be any "corner offices" as such. I can't think of a better way to give every space a great view of the beautiful campus grounds.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    Who's the sheik, following him?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post



    i wonder how long it'll be before tim drunk-tweets something crazy in the middle of the night and has to delete his account ...

     

    He'll get into a tweet war with Ballmer and Schmidt.

  • Reply 10 of 21
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

    Did he read MacRumor? He actually tweeted the headline from MacRumor.

     

    Of course they do. Apple has a history of enjoying humor.

     

    And suing leakers, but mainly humor.

  • Reply 11 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post



    the should give tours!

    Some iconic places wind up doing that. I worked at Louis Kahn's Salk Institute and it was rather routine to look up out the all glass exterior walls to find a gaggle of tourists raptly watching "science" while being lectured on the building. Of course with it's exterior access being so open it was easy to do that and not compromise the work, harder to do in a building with interior corridors only I imagine...

     

    Hah, turns out they still do:

    http://www.salk.edu/about/architecture_tours.html

     

    and for good reason eh?

    http://www.salk.edu/about/architecture.html

  • Reply 12 of 21
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    This is total BS.  We all know whats going on here.  Apple and Steve Jobs have been getting their tech and designs from aliens for decades.  iPod, iPhone, iPad.  You think they go those out of thin air?  Or course not.  The government is beginning to hound them so they build the campus to look like a UFO so when the UFO visits this year no one will suspect anything.

     

    "Is that a UFO?  No, that's just Apple headquarters."

     

    Innovation.


     

    Now that you mention it......   Their new campus is starting to look a lot less like a spaceship and a whole lot more like a....

     

    Docking station?!

     

    Can't wait to see it in person and I'm sure it will bear fruit with tons of great products from Apple.

  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

     

     

    Now that you mention it......   Their new campus is starting to look a lot less like a spaceship and a whole lot more like a....

     

    Docking station?!

     

    Can't wait to see it in person and I'm sure it will bear fruit with tons of great products from Apple.


    Actually, the new campus looks like a short and non-black version of the Mac Pro.

  • Reply 14 of 21
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,453member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This is total BS.  We all know whats going on here.  Apple and Steve Jobs have been getting their tech and designs from aliens for decades.  iPod, iPhone, iPad.  You think they go those out of thin air?  Or course not.  The government is beginning to hound them so they build the campus to look like a UFO so when the UFO visits this year no one will suspect anything.

    "Is that a UFO?  No, that's just Apple headquarters."

    Innovation.
    And the reason why no major recent breakthroughs is because the aliens have gone incommunicado?

    Personally, I think Steve was an alien -- thus the "adoption" story.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,453member
    schlack wrote: »
    the should give tours!

    With Apple's paranoia, not likely. If there had been an Apple Museum (which Steve would never have wanted) and a really big Apple Store, public access would have made some sense -- tourists could have gone to the museum/store and them toured the grounds (but not the offices).

    But I'm sure they'll be a tom of tours for the press when the campus first opens.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,470member

    Tossing out buzz words like "innovation and creativity" seems rather defensive to me. Companies are judged more by their actions, not their press releases.

  • Reply 17 of 21

    I hope they have ground-to-air missiles protecting this new building from Samsung and Google spy drones and airships.

  • Reply 18 of 21
    cpsro wrote: »
    Tossing out buzz words like "innovation and creativity" seems rather defensive to me. Companies are judged more by their actions, not their press releases.

    This was a tweet, not a press release.
  • Reply 19 of 21

    Apple should have designed it to look like the infinity symbol -- i.e. one infinite loop, and therefore > google.  ha!

    ?

  • Reply 20 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,293member
    Apple should have designed it to look like the infinity symbol -- i.e. one infinite loop, and therefore > google.  ha!
    [SIZE=72px]?[/SIZE]

    Clever.
Sign In or Register to comment.