Verizon activated 3.9M iPhones in Q3 2013, up 26% from 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon activated about 3.9 million iPhones in its third fiscal quarter of 2013, the carrier revealed on Thursday, representing more than half of its total smartphone activations.

Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo announced that the iPhone accounted for 51 percent of its 7.6 million total smartphone activations in the third quarter. That would place total iPhone activations for the three-month period at about 3.9 million.

In the same three-month period a year ago, Verizon activated 3.1 million total iPhones, meaning that Apple saw a 26 percent year-over-year growth through the largest carrier in the U.S.

With total smartphone activations up 12 percent year over year, that means Apple's iPhone outpaced the rest of the company's lineup by a significant margin. In the same quarter a year ago, Apple launched the iPhone 5, placing this year's performance in an equivalent quarter.

Unsurprisingly, Verizon also revealed that it faced iPhone shortages at the end of the third quarter, when Apple launched its new flagship iPhone 5s and mid-range iPhone 5c. The carrier did not offer details on sales of any specific iPhone model.

The carrier also revealed that iPhone upgraders are helping to drive its wireless data revenue higher. Verizon noted that a significant number of iPhone customers are now upgrading from 3G devices like the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to Apple's 4G LTE devices like the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, and LTE users tend to use more bandwidth.

Smartphones continue to take an even larger share of Verizon's total subscribers, growing to 67 percent in the third quarter. That was up from 64 percent of Verizon's postpaid customer base in the preceding quarter. More than 40 percent of its customers are also now on shared data plans.

Apple will report its own earnings for the company's fourth quarter of fiscal 2013 in a few weeks, on Oct. 28. The quarter will represent just over a week of sales of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, which moved 9 million units in their launch weekend.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sure the media will find a way to spin this in a negative way. Probably focus on the flat sequential growth.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    More signs Apple is in trouble. /s
  • Reply 3 of 38

Doomed zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Reply 4 of 38

I wish they'd break down the numbers.

• Reply 5 of 38
    Have they ever broken down numbers by model? If Apple doesn't do it no way would a reseller.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Have they ever broken down numbers by model? If Apple doesn't do it no way would a reseller.

Let me say it again.

Now, look at your reply. If I had said "should' as in, They should break down the numbers, then your reply makes sense.

Just wanted to point that out.

I also wish Apple would break down the numbers.

You probably wish they'd all break down the numbers too.

• Reply 7 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    So I have to assume that the vast majority of the billions of Android phones sold every three seconds are bought to use as paper weights
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wish they’d break down the lies erected by Google and tell us about the effing Android phones on every carrier.

Heck, give us a snapshot of NETWORK INFORMATION to see what these phones are even DOING.

• Reply 9 of 38
    iPhone great news

[B]* 26% increase Year On Year[/B] AND a[B]t HIGHER MARGINS [/B]than last year

[B] * They could have sold even more[/B], but for supply constraints for the 5S

Looking forward to seeing their earnings for last quarter.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The carrier also revealed that iPhone upgraders are helping to drive its wireless data revenue higher. Verizon noted that a significant number of iPhone customers are now upgrading from 3G devices like the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S to Apple's 4G LTE devices like the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, and LTE users tend to use more bandwidth.

An iPhone, or any other device, can only use the "bandwidth" available to it from the carrier.  But the user can transmit or recieve as much data as wanted.  Or that they can afford.  LTE moves data faster therefore allowing the movement of more data in a given period of time.  If that spurs the user to move more data because of the greater satisfaction derived from that speed then the carrier would profit.  LTE users use more "bandwidth" as they do not have a choice unless LTE is turned off in the device.

I hope that is not to technical for AppleInsider reporters.

• Reply 11 of 38
    Let me say it again.

Now, look at your reply. If I had said "should' as in, They should break down the numbers, then your reply makes sense.

Just wanted to point that out.

I also wish Apple would break down the numbers.

You probably wish they'd all break down the numbers too.
    No I don't wish Apple to break down the numbers. No reason to give competitors that kind of information. Honestly I don't get why people are so obsessed with 5C sales figures. Why is it so important for the world to know this?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Originally Posted by 2old4fun View Post

An iPhone, or any other device, can only use the “bandwidth” available to it from the carrier. LTE users use more "bandwidth" as they do not have a choice unless LTE is turned off in the device.

Okay, but in connecting to the network, is the band on which LTE is pushed required to be a wider range on a single device than 3G? 

For example, a single device would tune to 700.xxxMHz or something because there’s another device at 700.xxyMHz, but is the range (leeway, whatever you want to call it) larger when connecting to LTE than it is 3G?

Or am I totally off base here? :p

• Reply 13 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Why? So you can declare the 5c an epic fail because it isn't what YOU declared it should be?

• Reply 14 of 38

A device that is going to move 10 megabits of data that can move the data at a rate of 1 megabit per second will be connected for 10 seconds.  If it can move the data at 10 megabits per second then it will be connected for one second, allowing more devices to connect and move data.

• Reply 15 of 38
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wish they’d break down the lies erected by Google and tell us about the effing Android phones on every carrier.

Heck, give us a snapshot of NETWORK INFORMATION to see what these phones are even DOING.

It's not necessarily lying, it's just a matter of presenting the world the numbers you want them to see.

One can not deny the fact that the sum of all Android handsets, regardless of version, is greater than the sum of all iPhones.

It's when you start digging a bit deeper that a clearer picture emerges on the health of any one ecosystem.

For example, Android has 80% marketshare and Apple only 14% means very little if you don't drill down a bit into what all this means.

For example, Android handsets are available through most of the world's major carriers. iPhones aren't (think China mobile or any of India's carriers). Good analysis depends on the analyst drilling through this kind of data and refusing to go out on a limb until all of the data has been taken into account.

As for tech publications, Appleinsider included, most of the postings are the same tired old rehashed arguments.

Only DED tries to make some sense of all this data. He may not always be right but his postings on this site are the ones truly worth reading IMO.

• Reply 16 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Note that Verizon activations are not all new sales. Some number of those activated phones are passed down or used resales. Not sure why Verizon doesn't announce actual device sales tho it could be for simple competitive reasons.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why? So you can declare the 5c an epic fail because it isn't what YOU declared it should be?

Hmmm... I haven't done that yet, why would you think I will do it now.

• Reply 18 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Note that Verizon activations are not all new sales. Some number of those activated phones are passed down or used resales. Not sure why Verizon doesn't announce actual device sales tho it could be for simple competitive reasons.

The spin doctor is in!!!
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No I don't wish Apple to break down the numbers. No reason to give competitors that kind of information. Honestly I don't get why people are so obsessed with 5C sales figures. Why is it so important for the world to know this?

Well, people who have invested heavily in AAPL will want some form of barometer on how well Apple is doing, and, probably more importantly, how well Tim Cook is doing.

The 5c seems to be a new strategy for Apple under Cook and they want to know that it is working. if it doesn't seem to be working then they will move onto the next thing, the new iPads. If there is a change in strategy there as well then they'll be watching it. If it does really well then Cook might get a pass (that is based on the assumption that investors feel the 5c isn't doing as well as they feel it should). If the new iPads don't do well... then... well, you get it.

Big investment houses hate change. It makes them all twitchy. The 5c is a departure from the Apple norm. They are twitching.

For you and I it's just a game we play.

... but you know all that.

• Reply 20 of 38
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    gatorguy wrote: »

I don't see the relevance of Verizon announcing how well HW vendors did. It would be akin to stating how many tower equipment widgets or servers they bought that quarter. Since their profit center is subscribers that is the number that matters. In fact it's the subscribers that use recycled devices and/or are outside their 2 year contract that make them the most money since that expensive subsidy, especially with the iPhone and top tier Android devices, that earn them the least per month

I had to talk my roommate into getting a new iPhone to replace his iPhone 3GS. My argument was that the [US] carriers screw you everyday so when you an get them to fork over $450 subsidy to another company without affecting your monthly fees you do it.