Apple's multitouch 'Steve Jobs patent' revalidated in full by USPTO

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Could Apple realistically require Samsung et al to remove capacitive multi-touch from existing and future devices?

That would be glorious, but no.

• Reply 22 of 81
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Note that he suggested it will become, not that it ever was.

Noted. But how would that happen or make sense (economically and technically)?

• Reply 23 of 81
    Sounds like Mulit-touch will become a Standard-essential patent. Probably a good revenue stream for Apple.

That's one option, but that's up to Apple. They can choose not to license this patent, and to my knowledge, they did not license it to other manufacturers. This clears the deck for them to issue cease and desist letters, if that is their choice.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's one option, but that's up to Apple. They can choose not to license this patent, and to my knowledge, they did not license it to other manufacturers. This clears the deck for them to issue cease and desist letters, if that is their choice.

I'm quite certain Apple has licensed the technology to some third parties--e.g., to Microsoft and Nokia for Windoze Phone--but that doesn't mean Apple is interested in submitting the technology for standardization that then requires Apple to license the technology on the same (nondiscriminatory) terms to all comers. The license with Microsoft quite likely was a technology sharing agreement and/or an agreement that Microsoft would continue developing Office for Mac, as the two companies have had such agreements for many years.

Part of a separate controversy involving Samsung is that their lawyers apparently divulged Apple's confidential licensing terms to Samsung employees, in direct violation of a judge's orders to keep the information sealed. Confidentiality is essential to Apple getting whatever it deems worthwhile from third parties in exchange for licenses.

• Reply 25 of 81
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Hopefully Apple follows Steve Jobs wishes and goes thermonuclear with this patent rather than just licensing it.

• Reply 26 of 81
    Quite frankly, every time something like this happens, some people on technology sites get so happy thinking every competitor will be banned out of existence while cheering for their favorite brand. However, in the end the impact always ends up been far less than expected.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Question, The patent is how the OS handles the gesture not the gesture itself right?
  • Reply 28 of 81
    I read that Samsung has announced they are building a new circular shaped campus building.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Originally Posted by Robert Mark View Post

I read that Samsung has announced they are building a new circular shaped campus building.

It’s a rounded rectangle.

• Reply 30 of 81
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Hey Schmidt, it's now a lot bigger than that ... LMAO

And how come Eric doesn't use a pair of Google Glasses?    Does he not eat his own dog food?

• Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s a rounded rectangle.

But instead of glass, they will use poly carbonate windows.

• Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Quite frankly, every time something like this happens, some people on technology sites get so happy thinking every competitor will be banned out of existence while cheering for their favorite brand. However, in the end the impact always ends up been far less than expected.

I have to agree with you on that.  I can't seem to come up with an example where the patent holder took over a market and the others faded away.

• Reply 33 of 81
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Aww yeah!! Now it's on like Donkey Kong!
  • Reply 34 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dunks wrote: »
    Could Apple realistically require Samsung et al to remove capacitive multi-touch from existing and future devices?

That's very possible. Apple's patent only covers capacitive screens.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    One word: [B]BAM[/B]!
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Sounds like Mulit-touch will become a Standard-essential patent. Probably a good revenue stream for Apple.

Um, yeah... That's not how it works. Only if Apple allowed it to become a standard, open to everyone. I guarantee that won't happen. LOL! They are under absolutely no obligation to offer anyone a licensing agreement for any of their patents.

• Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

How does stylus replace multi-touch - Except as the other gentleman suggested chopsticks (Korean version), but it will still be multi-touch pinch. Oh! Maybe Samsung will do the air-waving pinch!

They'll call it "no-touch multi-touch".

• Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Aww yeah!! Now it's on like Donkey Kong!

Yes. Jump you little fat man! Jump!

• Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They'll call it "no-touch multi-touch".

"no-touch S-multi-S-touch."

• Reply 40 of 81
    Standards Essential Patents or SEP's are also regularly filed for by the members of the committee that chooses the standards. Many are filed for immediately after the committee commits to one standard over another. They are a necessary part of making machines interoprable not necessarily very innovative at all. As current law has evolved, SEP's have become a less powerful lever to force cross licensing, and the encumbent companies who thought they had created a barrier to entry have been disabused of that notion by the courts. I believe this is the right thing to do to support innovation and growth in the industry.