Apple's multitouch 'Steve Jobs patent' revalidated in full by USPTO

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Psychotic. I can’t wait for their crash.

• Reply 62 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Psychotic. I can’t wait for their crash.

You might be waiting a while. Google has successfully made new and profitable revenue streams.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You might be waiting a while. Google has successfully made new and profitable revenue streams.

Ironically, a large percentage of those new revenue streams rely on mobile, aka iOS devices! And the upheld Apple multitouch patent won't do Android any favors!
  • Reply 64 of 81
    Standards Essential Patents or SEP's are also regularly filed for by the members of the committee that chooses the standards. Many are filed for immediately after the committee commits to one standard over another. They are a necessary part of making machines interoprable not necessarily very innovative at all. As current law has evolved, SEP's have become a less powerful lever to force cross licensing, and the encumbent companies who thought they had created a barrier to entry have been disabused of that notion by the courts. I believe this is the right thing to do to support innovation and growth in the industry.

So "making machines interoperable" is supposedly a valid reason to seize a patent as SEP? What's multitouch got to do with interoperability?
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Update: Chipotle (CMG) up about 15% today...madness!
  • Reply 66 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I have to agree with you on that.  I can't seem to come up with an example where the patent holder took over a market and the others faded away.

>> I have to agree with you on that.  I can't seem to come up with an example where the patent holder took over a market and the others faded away.

There was Polaroid vs Kodak, where Kodak was forced to pull it's instant camera from store shelves and landfill the inventory.

Although maybe thats a cautionary tale; Polaroid died long before Kodak did.

• Reply 67 of 81
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacLurker View Post

>> I have to agree with you on that.  I can't seem to come up with an example where the patent holder took over a market and the others faded away.

There was Polaroid vs Kodak, where Kodak was forced to pull it's instant camera from store shelves and landfill the inventory.

There aren't many stories like the Polaroid one, I didn't remember that story until you brought it up.  Good memory recall.

• Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Sounds like Mulit-touch will become a Standard-essential patent. Probably a good revenue stream for Apple.

I thought that companies submit their patents to be considered for SEP, which is sometimes an advantage with competing solutions. If this is true, why in the world would Apple go this route to charge a fee (which they do not need) rather than block all infringing devices?

• Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why?

What is "standards essential" and who will oversee the "standard"?

Google can go back to the original Android released in the US without multitouch and start over.

Nokia, HTC, Sony and others will be happy, they cross licensed.

As Samsung full well knows having contemptuously and illegally obtained the license agreements from Google's douchebag puppet law firm.

The "noose" is turning to rusty barbed wire,

Exactly. Apple has no need and I suspect no desire, to make multi-touch a SEP. And no reason to cross license anything from Samsung as their SEP can be bought at fair prices now

• Reply 70 of 81
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    So, does this mean Android uses a 'multi-steal' interface?

Can & will Samsung get around it by switching to Tizen?
  • Reply 71 of 81
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by X38 View Post

So, does this mean Android uses a 'multi-steal' interface?

Can & will Samsung get around it by switching to Tizen?

Only if it doesn't have multi-gesture, if that's what is patented.  

• Reply 72 of 81
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    teejay2012 wrote: »

Exactly. Apple has no need and I suspect no desire, to make multi-touch a SEP. And no reason to cross license anything from Samsung as their SEP can be bought at fair prices now

Can't certain patents be forced into SEP and FRAND if they are deemed important enough for fair business practices?
  • Reply 73 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    akqies wrote: »
    Can't certain patents be forced into SEP and FRAND if they are deemed important enough for fair business practices?

No. Patent holders must agree to it. Besides you can make phones without Apple's patents.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    maclurker wrote: »

Never give up hoping that Apple will die, while the copyists live on.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    akqies wrote: »

No. And why would you ever want to forcibly seize a company's patents? For interoperability between vendors, perhaps. But multitouch has nothing to so with interoperability.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Typical...LOL...GOOG up 10% on slightly beating analysts profitability predictions, meanwhile AAPL up less than 1% on news of reaffirmation of one of the most important patents in Apple's patent trove. Oh, Wall Street. You idiots.
    Go Figure! All the big banks and financial institutions are run by crooks! They decides who wins and who looses.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    This "news" is a scam - and is carried only by a few tech enthusiast sites. None of the mainstream media sites - Reuters, Bloomberg, WSJ, etc are talking anything about this.

Google "multitouch patent" and see all the results. Do you really think mainstream media sites would miss this story for over 36 hours?

This scam is a blatant attempt to push down Google shares and buy some shares in anticipation of the pop after earnings. Many readers of AppleInsider have probably lost money selling Google on the back of this "news".

A casual and quick perusal of the results and the timings show clearly that AppleInsider is the first site to carry this story. Other sites probably picked this story from AI and ran with it.

I think AI can expect a knock on their door for blatant misrepresentation. SEC looks at these things with a dim view and is definitely going to investigate this.

If you want evidence of this story being a scam, the USPTO was closed because of the Federal Shutdown for 17 days. What are the chances they will make such an announcement hours after opening after such a long break?
  • Reply 78 of 81
    macarena wrote: »
    This "news" is a scam - and is carried only by a few tech enthusiast sites. None of the mainstream media sites - Reuters, Bloomberg, WSJ, etc are talking anything about this.

Google "multitouch patent" and see all the results. Do you really think mainstream media sites would miss this story for over 36 hours?

This scam is a blatant attempt to push down Google shares and buy some shares in anticipation of the pop after earnings. Many readers of AppleInsider have probably lost money selling Google on the back of this "news".

A casual and quick perusal of the results and the timings show clearly that AppleInsider is the first site to carry this story. Other sites probably picked this story from AI and ran with it.

I think AI can expect a knock on their door for blatant misrepresentation. SEC looks at these things with a dim view and is definitely going to investigate this.

If you want evidence of this story being a scam, the USPTO was closed because of the Federal Shutdown for 17 days. What are the chances they will make such an announcement hours after opening after such a long break?

Under-reported or not, it appears to be accurate:

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/10/us-patent-office-confirmed-all-20.html?m=1

The general news media is typically very weak when it comes to reporting technical information.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Under-reported or not, it appears to be accurate:

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/10/us-patent-office-confirmed-all-20.html?m=1

The general news media is typically very weak when it comes to reporting technical information.

If I'm correct this only puts things right back where they were before the USPTO had stepped in. Apple is still suing it's competitors using this particular patent and those companies they've sued still have not been found guilty of infringement in a US court, altho an ITC case determined there was enough to warrant an import ban on some discontinued Samsung phones. Hardly the doom and gloom that Mueller predicts in nearly every one of his Android articles dating back years now

IMO FOSSPatents articles are prompted by his client Microsoft being outflanked by Google. It's not that he's necessarily trying to slant his stories to be pro-Apple. He'll toss an anti-Apple post in there once in a great while for good measure. No, it's that to be supportive of Microsoft every mention of Google or Android has to be in a negative light. Every. Google. Android. Mention.

You'll never find one single negative comment about Microsoft in a FOSSPatents blog. Not even one. If Android were to ever disappear you can expect him to turn on Apple next IMO.
  • Reply 80 of 81
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Quote:

Sep 10, 2013 B2 Reexamination certificate second reexamination
    Free format text: THE PATENTABILITY OF CLAIMS 1-20 IS CONFIRMED.

Source

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

blah, blah, blah