Apple's OS X 10.9 Mavericks launches as a free upgrade for Mac users

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

iMovie icon changed, it's purple instead of yellow.  iPhone is different, I think they should have left the photo in the iPhoto icon the way it was or change it another way.  iBooks icon is also different.

Yes, I know they changed, but they did not update on my Dock. What did happen is the upgrade left the old version in tact while installing the new, without creating icons for the new on the Dock, except iPhoto. 

• Reply 102 of 120
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Yes, I know they changed, but they did not update on my Dock. What did happen is the upgrade left the old version in tact while installing the new, without creating icons for the new on the Dock, except iPhoto. 

I don't know what to tell you.  Mine changed as soon as I launched the app.

What I did before I installed 10.9 is I ran verify and fix permissions BEFORE I downloaded 10.9.  I don't know if that was what makes the difference or not, but that's what I did and then there were a few app updates, etc. after I downloaded 10.9 and then everything worked.

Maybe you should try running the permissions verify/fix if you haven't already.  IT's worth a try.

• Reply 103 of 120
    Quote:

I don't know what to tell you.  Mine changed as soon as I launched the app.

What I did before I installed 10.9 is I ran verify and fix permissions BEFORE I downloaded 10.9.  I don't know if that was what makes the difference or not, but that's what I did and then there were a few app updates, etc. after I downloaded 10.9 and then everything worked.

Maybe you should try running the permissions verify/fix if you haven't already.  IT's worth a try.

Sorry, I was not looking for answers :)  I simply dragged the icons to my dock and removed the old ones. 

• Reply 104 of 120
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I am using it and loving it. I guess people have seen this right? 

https://www.gosquared.com/mavericks/

It is spreading very fast.

• Reply 105 of 120

Installed on a MacBook Pro Retina yesterday to check essential app compatibility.  Everything checked out so I am updating several machines today.  So far it is going smoothly.

Love finder tabs and tags. 

• Reply 106 of 120
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    i upgraded my "customac" mountain lion install to mavericks... a bit difficult (because i am not using "real" apple hardware) yet i was able to do it!...

make usb stick. (unibeast)
    install Mavericks on existing disk... (or freshly partitioned for new install)
    boot using usb stick...
    use multibeast to install the "magic" needed to boot from the HDD...

credit to "tonymacx86"

if you are looking to go the "customac" route, new install is the easiest, and the secret is using a Gigabyte Motherboard. (and intel hd4000 or higher graphics...)
  • Reply 107 of 120
    I am so grateful to Apple for providing this free upgrade. I purchased a new MacBook Pro a few weeks prior to this upgrade announcement and there was NO way I could afford the cost of an OS X upgrade so soon after a major purchase like this one. I love the new features this upgrade provides.
  • Reply 108 of 120

I finally found out what the problem is with Safari and this website and maybe a few others.  It's not Safari from what i read in the crash report.  It's Java.

• Reply 109 of 120

For those with SSDs with limited space, has anybody calculated the amount of drive space Mavericks uses compared to ML? I'm running ML with less than 5GB of space.

• Reply 110 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmondRoca View Post

For those with SSDs with limited space, has anybody calculated the amount of drive space Mavericks uses compared to ML? I'm running ML with less than 5GB of space.

I'm assuming you are referring to "space" in terms of how much space it's taking up on the drive?  Are you considering the System Folder contents, Updater Folder, etc.?   It might actually depend on what computer you are using and maybe what other control panel/etc. 3rd party "crap" "apps" installed that are thrown into the OS.   I'm sure the size difference isn't the different than to that of ML.  I don't think it's a lot bigger or smaller.  

When you figured out how much space ML, how did you arrive at that 5GB measurement?  Just curious.

• Reply 111 of 120
    Quote:

I'm assuming you are referring to "space" in terms of how much space it's taking up on the drive?  Are you considering the System Folder contents, Updater Folder, etc.?   It might actually depend on what computer you are using and maybe what other control panel/etc. 3rd party "crap" "apps" installed that are thrown into the OS.   I'm sure the size difference isn't the different than to that of ML.  I don't think it's a lot bigger or smaller.  

When you figured out how much space ML, how did you arrive at that 5GB measurement?  Just curious.

By " drive space", I mean, after upgrading from ML to Mavericks, do you have more or less significant (>1GB) drive space. All other folders or apps wouldn't be a factor since you're just upgrading the OS.

My 5GB "measurement" is ML stating that my SSD has about 5GB of drive space available.

• Reply 112 of 120
    Quote:

By " drive space", I mean, after upgrading from ML to Mavericks, do you have more or less significant (>1GB) drive space. All other folders or apps wouldn't be a factor since you're just upgrading the OS.

My 5GB "measurement" is ML stating that my SSD has about 5GB of drive space available.

It probably won't be that big of a difference.  If you are running at only 5GB of drive space available, you should consider dumping as much stuff off.  There is a rule of thumb for modern OSs to have at least a certain amount of free space, otherwise you could experience the system to slow down to the point where it's useless.

I wouldn't go down to 5GB of drive space available.  I forget the percentage amount, but for a desktop OS, I would keep at LEAST 20% or more. That's my own personal opinion, not what is recommended by Apple.

You might want to consider cleaning up and deleting or saving off as much data that you don't need, deleting apps you don't use to free up space.  That's just good data management practices.   

If you have 16GB of RAM, then I would make sure you have at least 16GB of free disk space if possible since if you run out of RAM, the system starts memory swapping with the drive.  Now they are using data compression for RAM and I haven't even experienced that yet, since I have a LOT more RAM than I normally use.  It only starts to use compression, from what I read, once you start utilizing more of your installed RAM.  So, for optimal performance, make sure you have plenty of RAM and available disk space so it doesn't slow down performance.

• Reply 113 of 120
    Quote:

Oh, there is a VERY good resource meter s/w that's FREEEEEEEE!!!!!! (donation based) that puts menus where you can monitor pretty much everything.  it's called MenuMeters (easy to remember) and it's available from www.ragingmenace.com.  It is customizable.  the only downfall is that you have to check for updates as it doesn't do it automatically.  It's the best of its kind app, so have fun with it.

• Reply 114 of 120
    On October 22, 2013 I saw the light. I kicked the habit. I kicked the comfort zone, which wasn’t that comforting - at all. I refrained from doing it again, and everything changed. Life around me started to change. People thought I was weird, never expected this from me. But I was persistent, I wanted to go through life without it.

It wasn’t so much an addiction but more of a necessity: I really wanted to kick the habit of using it, but just couldn’t; nothing would work anymore. No more fun, no more games with friends, no way to find myself back, no way home.

Flash. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Still haven’t installed it after my clean install of 10.9. Did install it on 10.7 in a VM, so there, Adobe, you can chalk that one up.

Hardly ever use it, really. Sometimes for Street View. Stupid thing is, when ever I come across a site that requires Flash, I just grab my 1st Gen iPad. It just works, even though I cannot add addiction to it.
  • Reply 115 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

On October 22, 2013 I saw the light. I kicked the habit. I kicked the comfort zone, which wasn’t that comforting - at all. I refrained from doing it again, and everything changed. Life around me started to change. People thought I was weird, never expected this from me. But I was persistent, I wanted to go through life without it.

It wasn’t so much an addiction but more of a necessity: I really wanted to kick the habit of using it, but just couldn’t; nothing would work anymore. No more fun, no more games with friends, no way to find myself back, no way home.

Flash. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Still haven’t installed it after my clean install of 10.9. Did install it on 10.7 in a VM, so there, Adobe, you can chalk that one up.

Hardly ever use it, really. Sometimes for Street View. Stupid thing is, when ever I come across a site that requires Flash, I just grab my 1st Gen iPad. It just works, even though I cannot add addiction to it.

I think they fixed problems with Flash with 10.9.  From what I read, they sandboxed it to avoid security issues. I have no problems with Flash that I'm aware of. The biggest problem is just with Java so far.  Other than that, I can't think of any other problems.  I did make sure that the apps that I use frequently have been updated for Mavericks and I think that's the biggest problems for most.

I've read where people are installing 10.9 and doing so without checking to see if their frequently used apps have been updated, which is not a good practice.

The first thing people need to do is check all apps to verity if they actually work with the latest major update, if not, then it's probably not wise to install it until your apps have be updated.

• Reply 116 of 120
    drblank wrote: »
    I think they fixed problems with Flash with 10.9.  From what I read, they sandboxed it to avoid security issues. I have no problems with Flash that I'm aware of. The biggest problem is just with Java so far.  Other than that, I can't think of any other problems.  I did make sure that the apps that I use frequently have been updated for Mavericks and I think that's the biggest problems for most.

I've read where people are installing 10.9 and doing so without checking to see if their frequently used apps have been updated, which is not a good practice.

The first thing people need to do is check all apps to verity if they actually work with the latest major update, if not, then it's probably not wise to<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> install it until your apps have be updated.</span>

Heh heh, I was just having a little fun, being slow day today here on AI. But yes, thanks for a mature post.

Very true, people should check their software before any major upgrade. Heck, not only do I do that, I also backup, yeah, and guess what, I actually test that backup, see if everything works. Easy to do with an 'old school' MP; I can swap HDD's at the flick of a finger and test all this.

So, yes, Flash. I am actually enjoying a 'flicker-tee' Internet as I don't have anything flash before my eyes. I do however have the inevitable 'missing-plugin', obviously. While on 10.8 I also didn't have it installed, but Street View, or lack thereof, got me. So I installed it about a month before 10.9. Now back to Flash Free. It's better than Click2Flash because now I'm really reporting I don't have it installed.

A legacy software, what can one do?
  • Reply 117 of 120

Flash. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. Still haven’t installed it after my clean install of 10.9.

If you ever need to view a Flash-only element, just download it and play it in the Flash Projector. That’s what I do.

Yes, that’s a custom shipping container icon. Seemed fitting. :p

• Reply 118 of 120

If you ever need to view a Flash-only element, just download it and play it in the Flash Projector. That’s what I do.

[Img]Yes, that’s a custom shipping container icon. Seemed fitting. :p

That's good tip! I saw this page, but they have a 14MB .dmg over there. Am I looking at it wrong?

Funny pic!

Edit , sorry, this page:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html
  • Reply 119 of 120

That's good tip! I saw this page, but they have a 14MB .dmg over there. Am I looking at it wrong?

Nope, that’s right. DMGs compress like other filetypes do (ZIP, RAR, etc.), so the DMG size will be smaller than the file that comes out of it.

That grab there is after I manually deleted the other language files inside it; only about a megabyte, but who needs Chinese or Czech, anyway?

• Reply 120 of 120

Nope, that’s right. DMGs compress like other filetypes do (ZIP, RAR, etc.), so the DMG size will be smaller than the file that comes out of it.

That grab there is after I manually deleted the other language files inside it; only about a megabyte, but who needs Chinese or Czech, anyway?

Ah, ok, good to know. I'll probably install that then, tomorrow when I'm behind the big Mac again.