First look: Apple's new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

These new iPads are incredible. Just wondering where Apple goes form here with them. Making them much lighter or smaller would almost make them feel flimsy. They're pretty much at the perfect size and weight.

Also, the internals are just incredible. I don't really see much of a point in upgrading the processor or RAM.

Any ideas on where Apple could go?

Larger screen!

• Reply 22 of 83

Did Tim Cook announce that they sold the 170 millionth iPad some time earlier in Oct? That would mean they sold ~14M iPads in the last quarter?

• Reply 23 of 83
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
  • Reply 24 of 83
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Duhhh they are going to go the MSFT route next… just you wait...

• Reply 25 of 83
    While I'm happy to see Apple put the latest processor and graphics in the new mini I think it is obscene that this fifth generation device that is built to handle robust apps (as opposed to focused iPhone apps) is still being offered with a base 16 GB of storage. With Apple's cost on flash memory being as good as it is - it is time for them get real with their storage options - iPhone should just be one version, 64 GB across the board, in the various colors and iPad should be 64, 128 and 256 (given what Apple is charging for the storage upgrades). While to competition is just plain stupid about memory/storage (at least usually) I expect Apple to do better.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    These new iPads are incredible. Just wondering where Apple goes form here with them. Making them much lighter or smaller would almost make them feel flimsy. They're pretty much at the perfect size and weight.

Also, the internals are just incredible. I don't really see much of a point in upgrading the processor or RAM.

Any ideas on where Apple could go?

Outside of touch id, AC, camera, ram, processor- not much. We'll have to wait until the iPhone 6 to see what technologies the iPad air 3 would hold.

Could you see an A8, 8mp, touch id, AC, w/ 2gb ram and 32gb next year for $499- all running iOS 8? I could.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    Sorta noticed now it is $200 for 4 inch (downgraded) $300 for 4 inch upgraded, $300 for 7.9 inch downgraded, $400 for 7.9 inch upgraded, $500 for 9.7 inch, to bad we still don't see $150 for 3.5 inch, then we can see apple covering screen sizes like Samsung does especially if 12 inch comes at $700ish.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Watching some of the hands on reviews I must say the Air makes the Surface look awfully big and bulky by comparison. Sure it has a keyboard cover but is it something you'd want to curl up in bed with? No way.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Did Tim Cook announce that they sold the 170 millionth iPad some time earlier in Oct? That would mean they sold ~14M iPads in the last quarter?

14 million? That strikes me as very low. Hmmmmm...

• Reply 30 of 83
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Interesting that some of us are disappointed by the absence of TouchID (counting myself). Interesting that something we survived without and barely knew about 2 months ago is something we feel we can't live without.

True that
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Next up... Samsung's Galaxy "Air" line... by end of next week.

They'll call it the Galaxy Ria.

• Reply 32 of 83
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Pretty shrewd observation. Where are u getting your numbers?
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Big apple fan here. Slightly disappointed today, I think Apple really has to up their game a bit. Clearly these devices are meant to improve margins, not advance much technically. Not even Touch ID in the iPads.

The Apple I knew would have surprised us tonight. I feel slightly bored instead.

And I own both Apple shares, and consider myself a huge fan of the company. I just wish they would step on it a bit more.

Blah blah blah.

• Reply 34 of 83
    Awesome new iPads. Yeah Apple! Glad there is now a smart case for the iPad mini, but why discontinue the far lower cost polyurethane smart case for iPad? The leather version not only costs more, but it is heavier and doesn't wear as well or clean as easily. Doesn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Without all of their newest hardware, there's no way I'm buying one. No Touch ID or AC wifi? No thanks. Just like the first mini with no retina display. It's a great form factor, now they just need to add the bells and whistles and I'm in.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Buying both mini and air ....
  • Reply 37 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Some people really crack me up. They complained that the iPad 3/4 was too thick and too heavy. So Apple releases a new iPad that is incredibly thin and light and they complain becaus battery life stayed the same. Good god people, do you expect Apple to work miracles? I mean there were a lot of people who thought the mini wouldn't get retina because of battery life. To me the fact Apple was able to make the iPad super thin and light plus add 64 bit A7 and keep battery life at ~10 hours is amazing. It's ovbious Apple wants the iPad hardware in many ways to just disappear. Something the new Nokia tablet with keyboard cover doesn't do.

[img]http://cdn0.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/tablets/Nokia/Lumia2520/Lumia 2520 hands on/Nokia_Lumia_2520_review (2)-580-90.JPG[/img]
  • Reply 38 of 83

the air was more then i expected, i like the name too, I'm surprised only one person mentioned that the mini now comes in 128 gb fashion, i know some people were speculating a split like the iPhone 5s and 5c. I was hoping to see more colors in the mini, but I guess not. I will probably get an air as I like to watch a lot of videos, but the mini is enticing to say the least. what do you think for announcements though, will they just post something saying black Friday you can get retina mini or something, I'm not used to see something without having it be available shortly after.

• Reply 39 of 83

I suspect the lack of Touch ID is probably due to difficulties in sourcing enough sensors for the entire iPad line as well as the iPad 5S. We might see it next year once production starts to pick up though.

• Reply 40 of 83
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hydr View Post

Big apple fan here. Slightly disappointed today, I think Apple really has to up their game a bit. Clearly these devices are meant to improve margins, not advance much technically. Not even Touch ID in the iPads.

The Apple I knew would have surprised us tonight. I feel slightly bored instead.

And I own both Apple shares, and consider myself a huge fan of the company. I just wish they would step on it a bit more.

Even Apple cannot roll back the laws of physics and completely reinvent the tech marketplace every quarter - or as you put it, "step on it a bit more".  I don't think they are doing too badly though, given what their competitors in this space are doing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some people really crack me up. They complained that the iPad 3/4 was too thick and too heavy. So Apple releases a new iPad that is incredibly thin and light and they complain becaus battery life stayed the same. Good god people, do you expect Apple to work miracles? I mean there were a lot of people who thought the mini wouldn't get retina because of battery life. To me the fact Apple was able to make the iPad super thin and light plus add 64 bit A7 and keep battery life at ~10 hours is amazing. It's ovbious Apple wants the iPad hardware in many ways to just disappear. Something the new Nokia tablet with keyboard cover doesn't do.

Nokia_Lumia_2520_review%20(2)-580-90.JPG

Agreed.  Despite hydr's disappointment, Apple seems to be innovating better than most.