First look: Apple's new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Did Tim Cook announce that they sold the 170 millionth iPad some time earlier in Oct? That would mean they sold ~14M iPads in the last quarter?

My count on total iPads sold through fy 2013 Q3 is 155,139,000. That's a difference of 14,861,000, but includes three weeks worth of sales (to today) in fy 2014 Q1. If we averaged the 14,861 by the total days, that's (31+31+30+21=) 113 days, or 131,513 iPads per day. In the 92 days in Q2, that would suggest 12.1 million iPads sold, which is about what I figured would be the case .

It was bound to be pretty bad, what with a 17 month gap between 10" iPad refreshes - and it was!

Thank the Maker that's now behind Apple!

• Reply 62 of 83
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Prediction:

Larger screen iPad launches with AppleTv revamp. Apple Tv turns out to not be a device specifically, but a service. A service that happens to look particularly great on a giant iPad.  Apple Tv box evolves to become a highly focused, but limited iOS device that runs the TV service on HDMI displays. 

• Reply 63 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am sure Apple will take care of the low end later on, maybe with mini's with plastic shells next year.

We’ve gone over this how many times now? Apple already has more revenue and profit than Microsoft and Google combined. Their smartphone business is bigger than all of Microsoft. They are by far the most valuable company in the U.S. Why do they need to “take care” of the low end? The low end means the end of the brand’s reputation. The low end means they become Samsung. The low end means Mercedes building something to compete with Hyundai. 

• Reply 64 of 83
    rogifan wrote: »
    I know some are bummed that the iPads don't have touch id. I share that disappointment, but considering what they did with the mini I don't think it was purposely held back so they could have it for next year. I think there are real supply issues and in Apple's mind a feature like that is more important on a phone.

Agreed. But I'd go further: touch ID isn't planned for iPads at all. If people think it's there for quickly logging in, they're idiots.

There's a reason they keep calling the 5S "forward-thinking" and IMO it's touch ID. And Passbook. And Bluetooth beacons.

Now they just have to work out how to stop people laundering money buying iTunes gift cards.

People won't be toting around iPads to pay for stuff, will they? Although, judging by the number of people taking photos...

So gutted with 1st gen iPad mini. This is truly a massive jump, bigger than the air and very similar to previous 1st gen -> 2nd gen product releases we've seen, it just started off so darn pretty they didn't need to change the case.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Retina display on the mini? Awesome! No finger printer scanner on the mini or regular size iPad? Booo!
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Delete
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

My count on total iPads sold through fy 2013 Q3 is 155,139,000. That's a difference of 14,861,000, but includes three weeks worth of sales (to today) in fy 2014 Q1. If we averaged the 14,861 by the total days, that's (31+31+30+21=) 113 days, or 131,513 iPads per day. In the 92 days in Q2, that would suggest 12.1 million iPads sold, which is about what I figured would be the case .

It was bound to be pretty bad, what with a 17 month gap between 10" iPad refreshes - and it was!

Thank the Maker that's now behind Apple!

They didn't hit 170M today. They hit it "earlier this month".

• Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some people really crack me up. They complained that the iPad 3/4 was too thick and too heavy. So Apple releases a new iPad that is incredibly thin and light and they complain becaus battery life stayed the same. Good god people, do you expect Apple to work miracles? I mean there were a lot of people who thought the mini wouldn't get retina because of battery life. To me the fact Apple was able to make the iPad super thin and light plus add 64 bit A7 and keep battery life at ~10 hours is amazing. It's ovbious Apple wants the iPad hardware in many ways to just disappear. Something the new Nokia tablet with keyboard cover doesn't do.

Nokia_Lumia_2520_review%20(2)-580-90.JPG

No. Everything Apple does is wrong and a sign that innovation died with Steve.

If Apple doesn't make a smaller iPad, the competition is winning.

If Apple makes a smaller iPad, they are criticized for not making a bigger iPad.

If they make a bigger iPad, it's criticized for weight and being just a Giant iPad Touch.

If they don't put in a Touch ID sensor, they are disappointing people.

If they put in Touch ID, they're criticized not doing more.

• Reply 69 of 83
    Ugh...CNET. Just don't go over there.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    I think apple has some surprises in 2014. I dont think that they will be another year not having something new in the first 6 months of 2014. What do you guys think?? Im thinking Itv or iwatch
  • Reply 71 of 83
    WOW!! check this Beautiful Leaked image of IPhone6 awesome here http://imgdino.com/viewer.php?file=78253612471688092037.png
  • Reply 72 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Greatest thing about iPad mini is all the naysayers who now have egg on their face. :D
  • Reply 73 of 83
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I'm still trying to justify spending $100 more to get the 9.7" versus the mini. Paying more to get a technically inferior display (PPI wise). Not to mention larger and heavier.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member
    so happy with the upgrades done to the iPad mini.. wasn't expecting most of it...

iPad Air upgrades over the iPad 4 seems lesser when compared to what happened to Retina mini... however will still need to replace my wife's iPad2 so iPad Air is the best way to go...
  • Reply 75 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dbh wrote: »
    so happy with the upgrades done to the iPad mini.. wasn't expecting most of it...

iPad Air upgrades over the iPad 4 seems lesser when compared to what happened to Retina mini... however will still need to replace my wife's iPad2 so iPad Air is the best way to go...
    New iPad will be a big upgrade over 3rd gen. That A5X chip isn't the best. Probably why Apple replaced it 7 months later.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Some points and observations:

- Between both new iPad models, the only new technology being offered (not including the new iPhones) is MiMo, which is not even an Apple technology (good to have, nonetheless). Just wondering why MiMo didn't make it into the iPhone 5S.

That's all for now...
  • Reply 77 of 83
    bregalad wrote: »

It's disappointing that storage still starts at just 16GB after all these years, especially when moving up to 32GB would cost Apple less than $10…

Memory, well Apple has always been complete jagoffs there. I've never once paid their prices for any upgradable machine. The mobile devices' storage prices are rape IMO. (16 to 32 = $100, 64 to 128 = $100?? Wtf?)
  • Reply 78 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Greatest thing about iPad mini is all the naysayers who now have egg on their face. :D

Tim Cook's statement on "trade-offs" is in the last minute or so of this clip from All Things D.

http://allthingsd.com/20130528/why-apple-makes-only-one-iphone-and-doesnt-want-to-make-a-phablet-video/

He took a lot of crap here from certain posters about that trade-off "excuse" for not doing larger hand-held retina screens. "If Google could do it with the Nexus . . . " etc., etc.

I thought they were maybe committed to an energy-saving screen technology like IGZO to do a retina iPad mini without sacrificing weight, thickness and battery life. Turns out they were committed to getting a new processor in production, the A7, and presumably new software to go with it, iOS7, in order to compensate for the retina screen's demands on the mini's batteries.

I recall you had a lot to say about their inability to do a retina screen on the mini. How did you think they were going to solve the problem? Do you now appreciate the complexity of their solution, and the accuracy of what Tim Cook was saying?
  • Reply 79 of 83
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    peteralt wrote: »
    Some points and observations:

- Between both new iPad models, the only new technology being offered (not including the new iPhones) is MiMo, which is not even an Apple technology (good to have, nonetheless). Just wondering why MiMo didn't make it into the iPhone 5S.

That's all for now...

You might have look at that processor and its architecture. Some say it's a year ahead of anything else out there. Software too.
  • Reply 80 of 83

TouchID is a production bottleneck at the moment, so for new iPads to come out this year, they had to go without.  Given the nomenclature of the iPad Air, I expect an "iPad Pro" early next year with the iPhone 5S feature set (i.e. TouchID and improved camera system).  I'm not going to attempt to guess at screen size/resolution but would expect weight and thickness to be the same as iPad4, hopefully allowing an improvement in battery life.

Who would buy the iPad 2 over a Retina Mini?  I bought a refurb iPad 3 in January for my Grandma (I would have gone for a 2 but the refurb 3 was cheaper...) She had struggled for years with an iBook and never really got the hang of it but absolutely loves the iPad because the UI is so intuitive: there is no way that she would tell the difference between the regular and retina displays, but she does think that my aunt's mini is too small to see things on properly.  For older folks with failing vision who haven't grown up with computers but want to keep in touch with far-flung family, the iPad 2 is entirely adequate, better than the retina mini by 1.8" of screen and better than the air by $100.