Hands on with the new 64-bit A7, Retina display iPad mini and iPad Air

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerbear View Post

I like the incremental improvements to the iPad - really. I will also be upgrading to the new iPad. But Apple seems to like to tout the thinness and weight of iPads. Ok, they're light already. No one cares anymore. Instead of spending so much time and money on these engineering achievements, they should be focusing on features. Where's the sapphire home button for iPads? When other firms are at 40 megapixel cameras, Apple is still at 5 or 6 megapixel. The cameras don't handle varying light conditions very well, and the interface is lacking. Why do I pay extra for a cover. Can they integrate a bluetooth keypad into a cover? I'd much rather get these types of features than to lose a few mm's and oz's. Just my opinion.

Dude, go grab your Lumia 2520 and get your "feature geek" on.  Except the cover's not included, nor Touch ID and the camera, while likely the best in a tab so far, isn't near 40 MP....  ...'cos you obviously don't get the core values, ecosystem and the many small intangibles that set the iPad apart...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mann View Post

Why in the heck would someone buy an iPad 2 for $399 when you can buy a 4th generation iPad off the Apple refurb store (with no flaws and the full warranty) for $379?

Corporations and school systems who've already standardized a 30 pin infrastructure for tablets on campus (and for whom better prices are likely available for mass purchases).  The iPad 3 had some pixel-pushing issues, the 4 is Lightning....

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I do wish Apple had done away with that "extra" $29 for the mobile data version ($100 should be enough of a premium; $129 strikes me as arbitrary, and dare I say, greedy at this point in the technology cycle).

I read once that the BOM for adding the cellular radio is considerably less than $29, let alone $100.  (Can anyone else confirm this?)  So, assuming that's true for a moment, it feels (IMO) both kind of like a "because we can" profit center (which has long been the case with extra RAM in Macs, e.g.), and partially justified in the corporation's eyes in that being a set of less popular SKU's (maybe 25% of iPads sold are cellular?) for both iPad models (at each RAM level) that has to be kept in stock and distributed to all their stores and affiliates around the world. 

• Reply 62 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

I was hoping the same, but with all the manufacturing issues the 5s is having, and I'm sure Apple knew about them well in advance, that they opted not to on the iPad until those issues were resolved. Why have 3 product lines not able to ship? 

Given that the A7 has on-chip storage for finger printing, I see no good reason for not having Touch ID on both the new iPads . In fact, my view is this was a serious mistake. So, delay delivery until December.

Perhaps the reason is Apple was caught off guard with the popularity of the 5s, and significantly overestimated the popularity of the slightly improved 5c. That is my guess. What this sale skew caused was failure of Apple to ramp up production of the Home button touch sensors.

Given all of the ridiculous reasons analysts disparage Apple, they are missing this big one. I suppose if Apple customers are willing to buy the new iPads despite the lack of TouchID, then it wasn't a marketing fiasco. If it becomes one then Apple will have to quickly change production the first of the year to add the TouchID, and heavily discount the new iPads. 

• Reply 63 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yep! That is what people don't get, the feature that sets them apart is the screen size. People buy the screen size they want and honestly want as much processing power in that screen as possible. it is one of the more frustrating aspects of buying a laptop. To get a high performance processor one has to buy one of the largest machines available. Even today the 13" MBP does not have a quad core option.

The other way to look at this is iPhone which comes in three "size" varying only by the amount of flash installed.

A Mac-Mini might start to take off now. No screen is necessary, since with Mavericks and an Apple TV, you can use your TV as the screen. I expect an upgrade of both Mac Mini and Apple TV in the near future, but purchasing even the mac mini as a home server now is looking more interesting.

• Reply 64 of 70
    What can I say, it looks magical :) !
  • Reply 65 of 70
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What an amazing story. I'm sure this dell whatever-the-**** is an incredible device, which is probably why noone has ever heard of it. 

This may be part of the reason:

[quote]If you were hoping to pick up the Venue 11 Pro, XPS 11 2-in-1 hybrid, or the refreshed touch-screen XPS 13 you’re still out of luck. Dell promises it will have more information on those products next month, though it’s unclear when they’ll actually hit the market.[/quote]

Honestly, I've never understood the idea of a tablet that runs a desktop OS.  It just seems ... odd.  If I wanted real portability and a desktop OS, I'd buy a MacBook Air (or an Intel Ultrabook, if I were married to Windows for some reason).

• Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Given that the A7 has on-chip storage for finger printing, I see no good reason for not having Touch ID on both the new iPads . In fact, my view is this was a serious mistake. So, delay delivery until December.

Perhaps the reason is Apple was caught off guard with the popularity of the 5s, and significantly overestimated the popularity of the slightly improved 5c. That is my guess. What this sale skew caused was failure of Apple to ramp up production of the Home button touch sensors.

Given all of the ridiculous reasons analysts disparage Apple, they are missing this big one. I suppose if Apple customers are willing to buy the new iPads despite the lack of TouchID, then it wasn't a marketing fiasco. If it becomes one then Apple will have to quickly change production the first of the year to add the TouchID, and heavily discount the new iPads. 

Not sure what that has to do with my reasoning, but again, Apple is said to be having yield issues with the manufacturing of the Touch ID (Zero to do with the A7 chip), assembly.  

So why would Apple, having issues manufacturing the Touch ID for one product line and therefore drastically reducing their ability to ship that product, move to having two additional lines (iPad mini, iPad Air) not able to ship due to the same issues? 

Of course there could be other reason such as margin, or what have you, but this one logical. 

• Reply 67 of 70
    Two related tech-spec questions:

I'm under the impression the present (until mid-november) mini lacks a gps chip on the wi-fi only model, necessitating the purchase of the cellular model which included that chip. Is that correct? I was told the LTE/cellular model was necessary to assure use of the device as a fully-functional GPS.

Second question: If #1, above, properly describes the gps situation, does anyone know if the new Mini with Retina will include the gps chip on the wi-fi only model, or if Apple has maintained the distinction between models?

Thanks
  • Reply 68 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Why buy a large iPad if it won't fit into your small bag. Not everyone like to lug that thing around everyday. The mini has better portability to many. Simple.

Right.  My mini fits in my cargo pants pockets.  Because of that it goes more places with me than it would otherwise, and that's an extremely important metric.

• Reply 69 of 70
    I have a three and would have liked to upgrade, but there is no point until they have TouchID as well.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

I have a three and would have liked to upgrade, but there is no point until they have TouchID as well.

Of course not¡