Apple's new MacBook Pros have slimmer cooling systems thanks to Haswell

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

I though the 15 inch MBP came with crystalwell

They do. They come with Intel Crystalwell GPU. they also come with the additional discrete Nvidia Gforce 750M GPU.

The CPU is Intel Haswell.

• Reply 22 of 31
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Haters gotta find something to hate about.

Because, as we know, every non-Apple laptop buyer pulls apart their laptop regularly and upgrades all the components.  In fact, I've already started changing the way I design technology because everyone in the world has become a computer hardware genius with infinite amounts of time on their hands. /s

Your sarcasm backfires because you would be designing the very thing that iFixit dings Apple for.  Your "computer hardware geniuses with infinite amounts of time on their hands" are the ones who seem to want designs that are difficult and time consuming to service, as some kind of self-validation.  Other people, even working technicians, just want to repair the thing as quickly and easily as possible.  But I guess it's easier to blame technicians for not working fast enough, rather than trying to improve service designs. Wouldn't cooperation between Apple's hardware design and service divisions benefit everyone?

• Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Your sarcasm backfires because "computer hardware geniuses with infinite time on their hands" are the ones who seem to glorify dealing with designs that are difficult and time consuming to service.  Other people, even working technicians, just want to repair the thing as quickly and easily as possible.

Actually, most laptops are never upgraded. they are designed to deliver a max amount of performance given the design caveats that come with very limited space in a mobile form factor. Same thing with Smart devices these days, only more so. 

As the market demands thinner, lighter notebooks, yet still with large displays, desktop class performance, and all day battery life, some concessions have to be made. being that most people never have the need to open their laptop for any reason, it's a pretty smart and reasonable concession.

If you want leading edge tech, performance, battery life, amazing screen, and high style all wrapped up in what is probably the very best notebook form factor money can buy, get the MBP w/ Retina. Option it from the get-go with what you need and you are set for the long haul. 

If you are compelled to simply tinker with a closed machines guts, then you can always buy a less highly-engineered, less-purpose built machine for that.

• Reply 24 of 31
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,734member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Your sarcasm backfires because you would be designing the very thing that iFixit dings Apple for.  Your "computer hardware geniuses with infinite amounts of time on their hands" are the ones who seem to want designs that are difficult and time consuming to service, as some kind of self-validation.

No.  They're the ones who want easy access to every component in their computer so they can replace/customize everything on a whim to ensure they maintain bragging rights for the fastest gaming rig on the planet.  As well as wanting a multitude of ways to reconfigure/skin OS X/iOS to show everyone how elite they are.

Quote:

Other people, even working technicians, just want to repair the thing as quickly and easily as possible.  But I guess it's easier to blame technicians for not working fast enough, rather than trying to improve service designs. Wouldn't cooperation between Apple's hardware design and service divisions benefit everyone?

Do you even know anyone who does authorized service for Apple?  I'm fairly certain that for the vast majority of large/complex repairs, Apple just gives a new machine and takes the old one in to be refurbished.  Anything requiring more than a few hours of service just isn't worth the labour costs these days.

• Reply 25 of 31
    alienzed wrote: »
    SSDs don't offer enough space for a pro machine... was a fusion drive not possible?
    No need on a laptop, 3/4 TB is a good size laptop drive. On the new Mac Pro, that's a place where fusion could exsist(and should).
  • Reply 26 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,340moderator
    The 13-inch <a href="http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Late+2013+Teardown/18695/3">version</a> of Apple's latest Retina MacBook Pro lineup benefited the most from Haswell's focus on power efficiency, reducing the number of fans in the clamshell casing from two to one, according to iFixit. The reduction is likely one of the primary reasons Apple was able to shrink the smaller laptop's vertical cross-section to match its larger sibling's 0.71 inch thin profile.

It also explains how they found room for a 16GB RAM option that wasn't available with the previous model.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Is it possible that the glue holding the battery in would melt if it was heated from the bottom?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    jjarojjaro Posts: 29member
    Wait, so does anyone have any info on whether someone like OWC will be making uogradable SSDs then? That's what holding me back right now! Thanks.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Originally Posted by Jjaro View Post

Wait, so does anyone have any info on whether someone like OWC will be making uogradable SSDs then?

Whether? That’s a given.

When? No clue.

Aren’t they the same as what are available now? Apple can only change the connector so many times.

• Reply 30 of 31

Are the new cooling systems quieter as well? My late-2010 MacBook Pro 13" has fans that can be really loud, but only when playing CPU intensive games like Diablo 3.

• Reply 31 of 31
    I don't know.