Windows 7 driving enterprise PC sales, but Apple's new iPads expected to again hurt PC growth

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Numbers is not there yet.

Some simple sorts are missing or do not work simply.

Charts do not come close to Excel.

Apple just gutted AppleScript without saying anything? That's irresponsible.

Have you tried using iWork in iCloud collaboration mode? 

Numbers not there yet?

By What I mentioned in my post it certainly surpassed Excel by quite a margin. I know some graphs are still not available in Numbers. But many things in Numbers are so much superior to Excel or simply non existent.

AppleScript?

I think Automator replaced AppleScript quite a while ago.

And no, iCloud collaboration sounds great, but I haven't tried it out yet.

• Reply 22 of 46
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    richl wrote: »
    Microsoft's profits are up 17% so they're obviously doing something right. The company has a lot of problems but it's easy to overlook the fact that they're still a highly profitable organisation.

It's easy to have a profit when you sell old software. The fact they still had a profit after not selling new products is the amazing thing. Of course I did read something about Microsoft cooking their books a bit to get this profit.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I like Windows 7, not enough to switch, but it's pretty decent.

Couldn't get on with Windows 8, maybe 8.1 helps.

Our company is upgrading from XP to Windows 7 shortly, having around 17,000 staff members in the UK alone will be a nice juicy revenue stream for MS.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    At my work, are replacing all our XP computers with Win7 right now. And only because MS is discontinuing support for XP.

So that's how they get their revenue stream. They discontinue support for an old technology (which they must at some point) forcing those to upgrade.

Effective strategy for the short term, but it will only work for so long, and gives them some breathing room to fix their strategy going forward into the future.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Meaning an outdated operating system is boosting PC sales?!

Businesses tend to be cautious with OS upgrades. Win 7 is not the newest kid on the block, but it's a proven system. And it will be supported all the way to 2020. 

• Reply 26 of 46
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

And it will be supported all the way to 2020. 

Besides that, XP’s support ends next year, so the whiners using FOURTEEN YEAR OLD SOFTWARE have to update to something.

• Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MsftMacMan View Post

Yes, Microsoft like pretty much any company has made plenty of mistakes and certainly does not dominate the 'personal computer' (device) market as once it did - but then neither does Apple dominate tablets or phones as they did only three short years ago (a good thing as active competition drives all to innovate and offer better value to customers - both commercial and consumer).

We all know, that we will have to deal with MS for quite some time to come. And who knows, maybe they start to become a little more acceptable with coming changes in the upper cadre.

And no Apple still dominates the tablet market. To say otherwise is simply ridiculous.

And no Apple never dominated the phone marked. It reinvented the Smartphone marked and gave it a new push, but even there it's not quite correct to say, that it dominated that segment.

• Reply 28 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Businesses tend to be cautious with Windows-OS upgrades. Win 7 is not the newest kid on the block, but it's a proven system. And it will be supported all the way to 2020. 

I corrected that for you.

With Mac-OS or even Linux-OS no company needs to wait 10 Years to upgrade. A month or two are more than sufficient for the most cautious IT guys.

• Reply 29 of 46
    elmoofo wrote: »
    Sales of Windows WHAT ?!?!

LOL - that looks like a type-o, but it's not, and it's hilarious.

I think most enterprises are waiting for Windows X.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    The organisation I work for of 300 staff has recently upgraded to Win 7. The reason given was other software upgrades including windows server meant they had no choice. We were promised a better experience but sadly still lots of ongoing IT problems. Now our IT staff say we need to upgrade MS Office 2003 to 2010 as there are known issues. So on it goes with businesses apparently locked in to buying MS. At home I have finally given up with MS and purchased an iMac. No regrets so far, especially after Apple started to give away some great software and Mavericks. Everything seems to work. I am not sure if Apple will easily change company software habits, even though, if my experience is typical, they would have far less software problems to manage. Looks like MS have the business users in the palm of their hands.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Chromebook is a new netbook.

Can a Chromebook be wiped to install Linux instead?
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elmoofo View Post

Sales of Windows WHAT ?!?!

LOL - that looks like a type-o, but it's not, and it's hilarious.

No, it's large scale business and enterprise computing.  You know, the market Apple abandoned. 

Do you laugh at people still running Lion or Snow Leopard?  Same difference.

• Reply 33 of 46
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Besides that, XP’s support ends next year, so the whiners using FOURTEEN YEAR OLD SOFTWARE have to update to something.

Yup...but it was RTM August 24, 2001 so just 12 years and 2 months old yesterday...

• Reply 34 of 46
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

You know, the market Apple abandoned. 

lol.

• Reply 35 of 46
    Windows is crap. Planned obsoleted junk.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    karmadave wrote: »
    Tablets are not replacing PC's so much as they are lengthening the PC upgrade cycle from 3-5 years to 5-7 years. Enterprises, many of which recently migrated from XP to Win7, are steering clear of Win8. Not only is it too soon for another OS upgrade, but Windows 8 is a significant burden on IT which has to deal with users. XP to Win7 is a no brainer. Win7 to Win8 is a no-go...

totally correct. my company has about 50 PC's. all are W7 by now. none of the proprietary programs we have to use are even W8 ready. and Server 2012 - optimized for W7 - is the core of the system. never going to touch W8 with a ten foot pole. W8 is DOA for enterprise, and crap for consumers. only Windows nerds actually like it. and putting crap on a tablet gets you nothing but a crap sandwhich. on toast.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That demand from enterprise is "being driven by Windows 7 refresh," ...

Why Windows 7?  

Two simple reasons:

1. Windows 7 fixed most of Vista's bugs.

2. Windows 8 is just too weird.

• Reply 38 of 46
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Why Windows 7?  

Two simple reasons:

1. Windows 7 fixed most of Vista's bugs.

2. Windows 8 is just too weird.

3. We aren't going to buy touchscreens for everyone.

• Reply 39 of 46
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Split infinitive...
  • Reply 40 of 46
    <h1 style="margin-bottom:15px;margin-top:0px;">Windows 7 driving enterprise PC sales, but Apple's new iPads expected to again hurt PC growth</h1>

Windows 7? So much for Windows 8, unless it's a typo.
    Guess they're having to upgrade hardware & OS due to the end of XP support, etc.

It's not a typo. Enterprise is in the upgrade mode from XP to Win 7 and won't be interested in Win 8 for a year or two, if then. Enterprise is of the mind, if it ain't broke don't fix it and Win 8 came along too soon after Win 7. Since IT hates to mix OS I think the Surface may have a hard time wiggling into a lot of companies since it only runs Win 8 & 8.1 OS.

Steve Ballmer is going to escape Microsoft with his pants on fire leaving the next CEO to deal with the inferno of about 10 years of lost opportunities in the mobile markets.