Windows 7 driving enterprise PC sales, but Apple's new iPads expected to again hurt PC growth

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    Wait until more and more people realize, how much faster it is to learn to use iWorks and how much quicker you are with iWorks to bring your data into a presentable form. I predict within the next year ( unless MS changes dramatically their Office Software {pricing included:no: }) people will start leaving MS-Office behind like rats a sinking ship and then even more people will migrate to tablet computers because of their superior mobility and longer battery life.

And now with every iPad shipping with iWorks included, AND a lot of the iPads in enterprise already loaded up with iWorks, AND the iCloud allowing collaboration with Macs and PCs AND even iPhones... AND with a Huge percentage of workers not needing anything beyond iWorks... Microsoft will see Office sales nose diving into an canyon it will never climb out of.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Doubtful, iWork is all well and good for the basics and making pretty things, but Word and Excel nail Pages and Numbers to the wall in terms of power features. Keynote stands up well against PowerPoint, and a light-use office might get by with iWork, but once you're talking about a corporate environment you're in Office's domain.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

And now with every iPad shipping with iWorks included, AND a lot of the iPads in enterprise already loaded up with iWorks, AND the iCloud allowing collaboration with Macs and PCs AND even iPhones... AND with a Huge percentage of workers not needing anything beyond iWorks... Microsoft will see Office sales nose diving into an canyon it will never climb out of.

It's a nice idea but iCloud isn't enterprise friendly.  Pretty much 95% of iPhone and iPad use in enterprise is email and the usual calendar stuff.  I'm only a really junior network admin so my experience is limited!

• Reply 44 of 46
    sarahmac wrote: »
    It's a nice idea but iCloud isn't enterprise friendly.  Pretty much 95% of iPhone and iPad use in enterprise is email and the usual calendar stuff.  I'm only a really junior network admin so my experience is limited!

As you are a junior admin, so is iCloud a junior service. It will need some time to develop further. For this, real life feedback is extremely important. And for this to happen, some companies will have to start using it. Give it a little time because the potential to speed up projects with in enterprises seems to me very promising.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    I think that a major cause of the recent sales of PCs with Windows 7 is the end of XP support next April. Enterprises have to upgrade their PCs by then. Afterwards, sales will drop off again drastically.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    windows 8 is still very useful. too bad its expensive but if you missed out the promotion you can buy it for 39$ from http://www.windows8save.com ..... does anyone know if windows 8 will run on a apple?