Apple faces backlash over missing, changed functions in iWork revamp

Comments

• Reply 101 of 218
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

Open it and restore previous version. Or open it with preview if you so prefer.

How do I open it and get the content since the new version strips out of the content created using the (now) unsupported features?  I can't edit the document with Preview.

• Reply 102 of 218
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Concern troll.  

Your employees and users don't have to do anything given that the number of iWork 09 mac users are tiny.  Vocal perhaps but miniscule.  Essentially zero.  We have a few thousands macs where I work.  I have NEVER gotten a pages or keynote file from anyone.  Even from the real Apple fanbois.  It just isn't widely used for business.

When we cycle over to new machines, should I want to use keynote or pages, at least I have the confidence that if the other person has a mac, they can read my docs natively.  But frankly, until Apple provides a pages and keynote reader on Windows it still isn't likely to happen.

I agree with you 100% that it's not a serious business tool.  At this rate, it won't ever be.

• Reply 103 of 218
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I wouldn't be surprised if the update adds these features. isn't this new release 64 bit? I think what happened is they couldn't get ALL of the features re-written for 64 bit, so the released what they had and then release an update to add new features and the ones that were left out. Kind of a FCPX issue. Remember, moving from 32 to 64 requires a full re-write. It's either that or waiting even longer for the version. I guess they decided to release what they had in the mean time.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Oh well, it's not the end of the world, so I can wait.
  • Reply 104 of 218
    Slurpy write:
    All that ranting and raving, when you could have simply to used iWork09, as the new apps DO NOT REPLACE THE OLD ONES. I repeat: ALL IWORK 2009 APPS ARE STILL ON YOUR MAC. Etc etc

I posted this same point but got the reasonable response: 'with Apple's R&D budget, is this the best they can come up with ?'

It's meant to be a upgrade, and quite clearly it's not. With virtually unlimited money, and no time constraints, is this the best word processor the world's best software company can produce ?

Sad, isn't it ?
  • Reply 105 of 218
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nobody with serious work responsibilities would have ONLY THE COPY OF THE DOCUMENT THEY’VE NOW OPENED IN THE NEW VERSION OF IWORK, and therefore would simply restore from the most recent compatible backup.

Agreed!

However - wouldn't it have been nice if Apple provided some release notes that said something to the effect of "The following features are no longer supported" and "Content which uses the listed deprecated features will be removed from documents opened by this release "?  Maybe even provide a warning that a given document you are trying to open uses features that are no longer supported and content will be unusable or deleted?  That way, no one would have to worry about doing a restore in the first place.

It's all about setting and managing expectations.  Apple (to a certain extent), and the computer industry as a whole, have set the expectation of backwards compatibility.   Xcode still compiles my old crappy apps.  Mail still reads my old emails (and still talks to my old servers), Preview reads my ten year old PDF files, etc.

Therefore, in the absence of other information coming from Apple, users should reasonably expect that the new versions of the iWork apps fully support the documents created with the previous versions of the iWork apps.  To push out a new version that literally breaks your documents, and to not tell you in advance that it's going to break your documents, is very poor customer service.

• Reply 106 of 218
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

All that ranting and raving, when you could have simply to used iWork09, as the new apps DO NOT REPLACE THE OLD ONES. I repeat: ALL IWORK 2009 APPS ARE STILL ON YOUR MAC. Jesus Christ, some of you people are unbelievable, attempting to ignore some basic facts and twist reality so you can use the "apple fucked up and ruined my life" narrative. And no, the document didn't "automatically save". That does not happen. You explicitly saved it, and explicitly chose to replace the old one, instead of making a copy, or a million other things that would have exercised some caution. Even if that did happen, you could have (and still can) use time machine to get the older version back. But yeah, keep making shit up, and ignoring obvious and plentiful solutions,  in order to sensationalize the situation. 

They just want to complain about something Apple probably already knew.  It's either release what they announced the same date or wait another month for the complete re-write. 

If they didn't release the product when they did and waited for the app to be 100% complete, they would have waited another couple of weeks or a month, etc. and be bitching that they DIDN'T releasee it.

I don't know why people get all pissy about it.  There has never been a 100% fully working, bug free app ever released the first time they release an app or a new major update to an app or OS for that matter. 

It's probably just waiting for the balance of the features to be re-written and tested.  I'm not worried, I've been using Personal Computers since the late 70's, and everything seems to always get resolved.

Patience is a virtue and some don't any or have very little.

• Reply 107 of 218
    This reminds me of a major OS release that didn't have some major features and bugs and they weren't fixed for a year. But the company that did this wasn't Apple, it was Microsoft with Windows 8. It didn't have the Start button and other features and a few bugs.

But I don't think users will have to wait a year for Apple to release it's update to add back in the features it was missing.

I guess the best advice is to sit back and have a cream soda.
  • Reply 108 of 218
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Apple gets backlash from some users about something that may or may not be a major issue for the vast majority of users.

Happens so often it could be a template. Just fill in the product name and publish
  • Reply 109 of 218
    They may relent and find someway to accomodate the users in an update. They may not. But since we're complaining, bring back Appleworks 6, it was my favorite.
  • Reply 110 of 218
    Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

They may relent and find someway to accomodate the users in an update. They may not. But since we're complaining, bring back Appleworks 6, it was my favorite.

Dude, I loved it. I have coworkers that still prefer it over iWork. :p

• Reply 111 of 218
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    nht wrote: »

Your employees and users don't have to do anything given that the number of iWork 09 mac users are tiny.  Vocal perhaps but miniscule.  Essentially zero.  We have a few thousands macs where I work.  I have NEVER gotten a pages or keynote file from anyone.  Even from the real Apple fanbois.  It just isn't widely used for business.

When we cycle over to new machines, should I want to use keynote or pages, at least I have the confidence that if the other person has a mac, they can read my docs natively.  But frankly, until Apple provides a pages and keynote reader on Windows it still isn't likely to happen.

Good points, and frankly the biggest issue long after any killed features are put back. I have also never received a document file in the format of ANY Apple wp, layout or presentation program. And though I occasionally used them myself I never dared sending it off without first exporting it to a format the receiver could actually read.

It's the proverbial tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it. It really doesn't much matter how much damage it did.
  • Reply 112 of 218
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple gets backlash from some users about something that may or may not be a major issue for the vast majority of users.

Happens so often it could be a template. Just fill in the product name and publish

Maybe Apple should start posting coupons for a free cream soda.

• Reply 113 of 218
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The dumbing down continues. Did apple learn nothing from the FCX fiasco or are they still too arrogant?

More like did the users learn nothing from the FCP rewrite
  • Reply 114 of 218
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

No rtf support in Pages?  That's huge.  Some things can't be handled by TextEdit.

RTF/RTFD is the foundation format text document type and custom directory extension since the days of NeXTSTEP 1.0. RTF/RTFD have been built into TextEdit.app since it was a demo app with OpenStep.

Send a request to Mike Ferris and the dev team to address the boundaries you are referencing.

• Reply 115 of 218
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

RTF/RTFD is the foundation format text document type and custom directory extension since the days of NeXTSTEP 1.0. RTF/RTFD have been built into TextEdit.app since it was a demo app with OpenStep.

Send a request to Mike Ferris and the dev team to address the boundaries you are referencing.

You might want to mention HOW and WHICH Mike Ferris to contact.  There is a musician named Mike Ferris that comes up and I don't think he will do anything about it.....  :-)

If Mike works for Apple, then maybe it should be the www.apple.com/feedback site will at least get it routed to the developers at Apple for the Apple app in question.

• Reply 116 of 218
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    slurpy wrote: »
    All that ranting and raving, when you could have simply to used iWork09, as the new apps DO NOT REPLACE THE OLD ONES. I repeat: ALL IWORK 2009 APPS ARE STILL ON YOUR MAC. Jesus Christ, some of you people are unbelievable, attempting to ignore some basic facts and twist reality so you can use the "apple fucked up and ruined my life" narrative. And no, the document didn't "automatically save". That does not happen. You explicitly saved it, and explicitly chose to replace the old one, instead of making a copy, or a million other things that would have exercised some caution. Even if that did happen, you could have (and still can) use time machine to get the older version back. But yeah, keep making shit up, and ignoring obvious and plentiful solutions,  in order to sensationalize the situation. 
    Sure it can..But i a curios.. Why should the newer version be less capable with less features? It does not compute! Why did apple make such in idiotic move!?????
  • Reply 117 of 218

It's not unusable. I use it with ease all day everyday. Who are these idiots that can't use it?

Why do you need to script Pages? I've not understood that one and let's face it Apple's been slowly removing scripting from their apps for ages so you'd have to be a blind chimpanzee for not seeing that one coming.

iWork is not designed for corporates it's designed for consumers and most consumers don't care about scripting they just want an office application that can allow them to create documents and spreadsheets. Guess what Pages and Numbers do?

These are NOT unusable products so stop lying.

• Reply 118 of 218
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Sure it can..But i a curios.. Why should the newer version be less capable with less features? It does not compute! Why did apple make such in idiotic move!?????

Your inability to comprehend another's motives does not mean it's idiotic.
  • Reply 119 of 218
    robogobo wrote: »
    I've been actively participating in the Apple Discussion Forums the past couple days, and I'm shocked at how childish some users can be. The guy who's compiling the list is a level 7 user, and he's been trash talking Apple on his thread, adding hopelessness to the already heated discussion by drawing conclusions about how Apple has abandoned its users and is intentionally damaging their data, AND HE HASN'T EVEN USED THE NEW VERSION! Of course if you try to jump in as the calm voice of reason the angry mob will thrash you. It's obvious they just want to whine and cry like babies.

Here's the kicker. THERE IS NO DATA LOSS!!!

This whole hubbub is for nothing. Sure, features have been removed. But the heat of the argument is over alleged data loss. All one has to do, even without Time Machine, is go to Flie > Revert to > Browse All Versions and you can restore the pre 5.0 version from within 5.0, close it (don't save!) and all is right again. You can delete 5.0 from your system and go back to using '09 with joy and happiness. Once Apple restores all the missing features, which they will do if proper, mature feedback is given, then you can upgrade.

The moral of the story is, test before upgrading, especially if business is on the line, and for goodness sake backup, backup, backup. Oh, and don't be a whiny baby when things go wrong. This is software and it will always have bugs and glitches. ALWAYS.

Please tell me the wisdom of removing features from the newer version and making it functionally inferior to previous version?
  • Reply 120 of 218
    akqies wrote: »
    Your inability to comprehend another's motives does not mean it's idiotic.

Please enlighten me... What is the wisdom in making a newer software less capable that its older version ? It is called an upgrade. Not a down grade...