Tim Cook sees 'an iPad Christmas,' calls Apple 'a force for good in the world'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

People are on crack. The iPad is good. It is perfectly positioned. These iPad updates over yesterday are insane. Performance beasts. A mini with Retina Display. Give me a break. They've never been better, and there is nothing better on the market. No where even remotely close.

I'm not the least bit interested in anyone who dismisses them or goes to great length to criticize them, because they're wrong. You have to do substantial mental gymnastics to paint a bad picture around iPad, in any way. That doesn't deserve attention.

I think the criticism is that even though the improvements are worthy and it's a great device being sold in unprecedented numbers and was revolutionary when first introduced, these iOS, form factor and performance improvements are evolutionary changes, not revolutionary changes.    I agree that most other consumer electronic companies have never made revolutionary changes or if they have, they've managed to do it only once.   I think Apple has spoiled everyone as to what's possible.    The expectations for Apple are higher than with any other company and while some may think that unfair, considering they have the highest market cap, that might not be unreasonable.    And so I think that Apple soon needs to either have another new product line or it needs to make some revolutionary change somewhere.   

I also think some of the criticisms are valid in spite of how great the device is.    For any kind of serious work, the on-screen keyboard is not good enough.    Apple's Zen obsession prevents it from having a USB or other ports, but for many people that would actually be useful.     What if I'm on the road and I'm using a pro camera that doesn't have WiFi.   How do I get my images into the Pad?    Once people use the iPads for more and more functionality, won't some kind of visible file system be necessary?   Although the first iteration of the Microsoft Surface was a complete failure, I was just looking over the shoulder of a co-worker who has some Samsung tablet device that plugs into a keyboard, similar to the Surface, running Windows 8.    He loves that device and it looked like a device that was useful for more purposes than the iPad.  

Apple certainly has the far superior ecosystem, but the mass of applications and content that they brag about may actually be a disadvantage because with so many choices, there's much more garbage and it's hard to find the right one.  

Further performance improvements may not really get  you anywhere in the real world.   If an ebook navigates to the next page in a millionth of a second instead of a ten-thousandth of a second, does that matter?   If an app launches in a half second instead of one second, does that matter?    Smaller bezels and lighter weight are nice, but if the next iteration is another 10% lighter, do we care?

So I think it's fair to ask  where the next revolutionary change is.   Would it have been there if Jobs was still alive?    Is it planned, but late?  If so, why is it late?    Etc.   One of  the problems is that since Apple is so secretive about their future product plans and strategy, we have no idea whether the company is truly on track or not.     IMO, Apple has concentrated far too much on "making it thin" to the detriment of other potential improvements.      And in some ways, especially with the Mac line, they've taken steps backwards:   removing the optical drive, replacing (largely no longer optional) inexpensive high capacity hard drives with very expensive low-capacity flash drives and making the battery and memory not user replaceable.     My current MacBook Pro is five years old.   I should be very excited to start thinking about buying a new Mac, but I actually dread the day because what I have to give up is far more than what I gain.   Luckily, that Mac still works great.

• Reply 22 of 31
    He's a desktop guy. What does he know about mobile techy stuff.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

1. We already know why the iPad exists. That was explained in 2010.

2. We know what the iPad can do already.

3. The iPad is already useful to a lot of people.

:D

More than 170M iPads were sold to date as we learned in the telco just yesterday.

• Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You obviously didn't read that thread then.

Well, anyone who reads that thread would not see comment after comment in the vein that you mentioned.

• Reply 25 of 31
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Here's hoping the iPad Air makes a great Christmas gift.

Woz however wants a 256gb one. http://www.techweb.com/hardware/240163071/woz-doesn-t-like-new-ipads.html

I'd like a black 32 WIFI. No carrier this time for me.

With a roll of duct tape and two of em he's there. it's not like he couldn't afford it.

Yeah, full size slate 64 and just WiFi: if I decide I need portability beyond my 5s I'll get the LTE mini 32.

• Reply 26 of 31
    luykxluykx Posts: 20member
    Apple a force of good in the world? Mr. Cook sounds like he talked to people who invented Google's "Do no evil" slogan. After he drank too much alcohol.

If he had a sense of humor, or friends at Goldman Sachs, he would have said that Apple is a force of good in those Tax Free Havens where Apple is doing their business.

And he should thank the divided international politics for making it possible to makes some extra cash outside the books...
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Originally Posted by Luykx View Post

If he had a sense of humor, or friends at Goldman Sachs, he would have said that Apple is a force of good in those Tax Free Havens where Apple is doing their business.

And he should thank the divided international politics for making it possible to makes some extra cash outside the books...

How about you just stop lying, okay? That’d be better.

• Reply 28 of 31

Want to earn money & help your family without going anywhere.........I make $60h - $92h...how? I'm working online now its ur turn to make money at home...................... Buzz55.?om 

Just open Home tab nd make money

• Reply 29 of 31
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I don't know what's worse: spammers or Sammy Trolls.
  • Reply 30 of 31

Did anyone else briefly get a wider range of posting tools?

I’m disturbed by that button that exists specifically for Flash. What the heck is that nonsense doing there, Huddler?

Maybe the spambot screwed something up and gave me the ability to see it.

• Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did anyone else briefly get a wider range of posting tools?

I’m disturbed by that button that exists specifically for Flash. What the heck is that nonsense doing there, Huddler?

Maybe the spambot screwed something up and gave me the ability to see it.

Huh. Must be a hidden "feature" that's not normally enabled for regular posters.