Review: Apple's fifth-generation iPad Air

1234568

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 169
    Originally Posted by funkbarton View Post

    I am a huge Apple fan.

     

    That’s nice; leave now.

  • Reply 142 of 169
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

     

     

    I agree the Air is great.  I almost pulled the trigger and bought one to upgrade my iPad 4, but I decided to wait until next year's model.  But the Air is a nice unit.  I like the weight, the thickness and other aspects of it.  So, I would definitely recommend owners of iPad 3's and earlier to consider upgrading.  For iPad 4 owners, it's a personal decision, I'm just opting to wait another year.

     

    They haven't released the iPad mini 2's yet, so I think those might sell quite well.


    Yes, I'm an iPad 3 purchaser who bought an iPad Air and have zero regrets: both from a performance perspective and from a handling perspective (can a pad that large be too light? This one comes close but I expect I'll get used to it..), given it's vastly reduced footprint I'm even second guessing whether, for my limited travels, I even need an LTE iPad retina mini, it certainly doesn't seem so given how much smaller it is than my 3. I'd think for a 4 owner it might be less about the performance and more about the handling as to where to come down on that decision.

  • Reply 143 of 169
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post



    I'm returning mine- the camera sucks. I wasn't paying attention- thought is had the same camera as the iphone5s (which it should have).

    Get a Nikon D800 or D800E, great images. They don't make phones calls but hey,..

  • Reply 144 of 169
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

     

    To those complaining about the 1GB of RAM, remember one of the new features of Mavericks was memory compression, and OS X is sometimes used as a Guinea Pig for future iOS features.


    That's nice but compressing 2 GB of memory is better then 1GB. They did it to save on cost and keep their large margins, I'd rather pay more for it, there is no excuse, when more and more 64bit apps come online they are going to need that extra memory especially games, in the end they should have at least added it to the 64GB and 128GB versions. Stop making excuses for them, we need to as a collective customer base start to saying to them, no this isn't right or it will get worse. You can't tell me you wouldn't like to have 2GB of memory, you would I know you do, no one says oh 1GB is okay, 2GB for what, speak out man, fight em!

  • Reply 145 of 169
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    relic wrote: »
    That's nice but compressing 2 GB of memory is better then 1GB. They did it to save on cost and keep their large margins, I'd rather pay more for it, there is no excuse, when more and more 64bit apps come online they are going to need that extra memory especially games, in the end they should have at least added it to the 64GB and 128GB versions. Stop making excuses for them, we need to as a collective customer base start to saying to them, no this isn't right or it will get worse. You can't tell me you wouldn't like to have 2GB of memory, you would I know you do, no one says oh 1GB is okay, 2GB for what, speak out man, fight em!

    Right. Like how you claim that 64-bit is only for marketing when Apple does it.
  • Reply 146 of 169
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post





    Right. Like how you claim that 64-bit is only for marketing when Apple does it.

    64bit? this has nothing to do with 64bit, we are talking about the memory available on a iPad. Am I in the wrong thread again? You go right ahead and trust everything a mulit-bilion dollar company tells you as fact.

  • Reply 147 of 169
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

     

    Yes, I'm an iPad 3 purchaser who bought an iPad Air and have zero regrets: both from a performance perspective and from a handling perspective (can a pad that large be too light? This one comes close but I expect I'll get used to it..), given it's vastly reduced footprint I'm even second guessing whether, for my limited travels, I even need an LTE iPad retina mini, it certainly doesn't seem so given how much smaller it is than my 3. I'd think for a 4 owner it might be less about the performance and more about the handling as to where to come down on that decision.


    It's also dependent on the apps and comparing their 64bit version to the 32 bit version on an older model.  Going from year to year is usually a marginal improvement than every 2 years, so I'm deciding to sit this one out.    I have to save money right now, so that's my objective in the short term, but I know what to save my money for next year.

  • Reply 148 of 169
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    relic wrote: »
    64bit? this has nothing to do with 64bit, we are talking about the memory available on a iPad. Am I in the wrong thread again? You go right ahead and trust everything a mulit-bilion dollar company tells you as fact.

    It has everything with you making stupid comments so long as they are anti-Apple regardless of your irrational you sound. I used your claim that Apple's ONLY REASON for adding a 64-bit ARM processor, AArch64, a 64-bit OS and 64-bit apps was solely for marketing reasons. You just sound like a troll when every comment you write is how a company is out to get you.
  • Reply 149 of 169
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     

    That's nice but compressing 2 GB of memory is better then 1GB. They did it to save on cost and keep their large margins, I'd rather pay more for it, there is no excuse, when more and more 64bit apps come online they are going to need that extra memory especially games, in the end they should have at least added it to the 64GB and 128GB versions. Stop making excuses for them, we need to as a collective customer base start to saying to them, no this isn't right or it will get worse. You can't tell me you wouldn't like to have 2GB of memory, you would I know you do, no one says oh 1GB is okay, 2GB for what, speak out man, fight em!


    I think as more 64-bit apps come out, the memory problems should actually lessen, because if an iPad Air is running *purely* 64-bit apps, it will have no need to load the 32-bit versions of all the shared libraries. 

     

    In general lets not underestimate how much memory 1GB is. I run Linux VMs in WMware with only 1GB and can do a lot on them. Admittedly they have a swapfile (and iOS doesn't) but memory compression is just like a swapfile. Except when a page is marked as paged-out, it really just compressed and put in another region of (wired) memory (that's my guess as to how they've implemented it anyway).

     

    Yeah, 2GB would always be nicer, but I'm not willing to get up in arms about it until I've tried it for myself. I have an iPad 3 at the moment and looking to upgrade. The only reason I haven't brought an Air yet is because waiting for the new Mini, to compare and contrast them before making a decision.

  • Reply 150 of 169
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post





    It has everything with you making stupid comments so long as they are anti-Apple regardless of your irrational you sound. I used your claim that Apple's ONLY REASON for adding a 64-bit ARM processor, AArch64, a 64-bit OS and 64-bit apps was solely for marketing reasons. You just sound like a troll when every comment you write is how a company is out to get you.

    At this point in time it is for marketing reasons. In a server environment, in which ARM had in tented the 64bit processor for I don't have a problem with but in a mobile class CPU until I see real results it's for marketing. Calling me a troll is not going to change my mind on these issues but if it makes you feel better you go right ahead. This is version 5 of the iPad and were still at 1GB, why is trollish to want more memory, the more apps that Apple allows you to run in the background we are going to need that extra memory. I am so tired of people just excepting what Apple tells them as the truth. I'm not a paranoid person, I don't think Apple is out to get me but they are doing everything they can to produce the least amount for the most possible buck. Thinking they have your interests in hand is just naive.

     

    I'm personally going threw the angry part of my grief stage so maybe it's better to just let me be. Yuu seem to have a real problem with what I'm writing but I don't know mean any harm by it, I'm just dying. 

  • Reply 151 of 169
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

     

    At this point in time it is for marketing reasons. In a server environment, in which ARM had in tented the 64bit processor for I don't have a problem with but in a mobile class CPU until I see real results it's for marketing. Calling me a troll is not going to change my mind on these issues but if it makes you feel better you go right ahead. This is version 5 of the iPad and were still at 1GB, why is trollish to want more memory, the more apps that Apple allows you to run in the background we are going to need that extra memory. I am so tired of people just excepting what Apple tells them as the truth. I'm not a paranoid person, I don't think Apple is out to get me but they are doing everything they can to produce the least amount for the most possible buck. Thinking they have your interests in hand is just naive.

     

    I'm personally going threw the angry part of my grief stage so maybe it's better to just let me be. Yuu seem to have a real problem with what I'm writing but I don't know mean any harm by it, I'm just dying. 


    I'm in the camp where I think Apple should be stepping it up in the RAM dept.  I personally think 4GB for a tablet would be a good amount and on a smartphone, 2GB might be enough.



    However, some of these games will see noticeable improvement just by going from 32 bit to 64 bit.  That's what the folks that make that one s/w app said at the announcement at the iPhone 5S event.

  • Reply 152 of 169
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    relic wrote: »
    At this point in time it is for marketing reasons.

    So when Mike Ash, Anand and many more people I consider to be very knowledgable about processors Wrote about extensively about the benefits of the ARM64 ISA and what that means to app, especially when it comes to Obj-C you write that of as just part of the 'ol Apple marketing engine?
  • Reply 153 of 169
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by akqies View Post





    So when Mike Ash, Anand and many more people I consider to be very knowledgable about processors Wrote about extensively about the benefits of the ARM64 ISA and what that means to app, especially when it comes to Obj-C you write that of as just part of the 'ol Apple marketing engine?

    I said before nothing you say will change my mind, I don't know Mike Ash I'm sure he's a good programmer but most people wouldn't focus on all of that when a persons says I don't mean any harm by what I'm saying, I'm just dying, I'm angry, I'm medicated. Instead you continue on with your quest to prove you are the uber fan of all things Apple and that your right, you sir are a jack ass, shame on you. You've been a member of this board all of a few months, show some respect for yourself, especially others. This conversation is done, your blocked.

  • Reply 154 of 169
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

     

    I'm in the camp where I think Apple should be stepping it up in the RAM dept.  I personally think 4GB for a tablet would be a good amount and on a smartphone, 2GB might be enough.



    However, some of these games will see noticeable improvement just by going from 32 bit to 64 bit.  That's what the folks that make that one s/w app said at the announcement at the iPhone 5S event.


    Oh absolute, I'm sure 64bit will be a big hit with the gamer crowd but I have no interest in such things. The apps that I and most other people use like Evernote, iPhoto, ect won't see any real gains from 64bit for quite some time. What needs to be focused on are the benefits of the new ARM 15 Cortex design that the A7 uses, this is worth a conversation, not 64bit, that has nothing to do with the performance gains of the A7 processor.

  • Reply 155 of 169
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    relic wrote: »
    I said before nothing you say will change my mind, I don't know Mike Ash I'm sure he's a good programmer but most people wouldn't focus on all of that when a persons says I don't mean any harm by what I'm saying, I'm just dying, I'm angry, I'm medicated. Instead you continue on with your quest to prove you are the uber fan of all things Apple and that your right, you sir are a jack ass, shame on you. You've been a member of this board all of a few months, show some respect for yourself, especially others. This conversation is done, your blocked.

    You've said that regardless of evidence you'll continue your anti-Apple crusade.

    You've attacked anyone that ever has anything positive to say about Apple but then claim you are the one who has been slighted when they call you out.

    As I stated, I wish would stop being so irrational.
  • Reply 156 of 169
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,799member

    If there's one weak spot in the new iPads, it would be the RAM.  When the browser has difficulty keeping five open tabs loaded in memory then that's adequate at best, and not up to the high standard of the rest of the device.

     

    Is there a technical reason why Apple doesn't allow iOS to use a swap file?

  • Reply 157 of 169
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    crowley wrote: »
    Is there a technical reason why Apple doesn't allow iOS to use a swap file?

    Yes. Since you know what a swap file is consider what it does and how it works, then consider how the swap files on iOS would be different from a "PC".
  • Reply 158 of 169
    crowley wrote: »
    If there's one weak spot in the new iPads, it would be the RAM.  When the browser has difficulty keeping five open tabs loaded in memory then that's adequate at best, and not up to the high standard of the rest of the device.

    Is there a technical reason why Apple doesn't allow iOS to use a swap file?
    on my Air Ive had no trouble at all thus far. I have 9 tabs open.
  • Reply 159 of 169
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post





    on my Air Ive had no trouble at all thus far. I have 9 tabs open.

     

    I've gotta say, I haven't had any problem either.  Then again, now that I've said that, I will probably see these issues the next time I try and do something. :)

  • Reply 160 of 169
    Amazing. When looking at Apple's hard efforts of making subtle improvements to genuinely improve our user experiences, it's almost humorous to hear about Samsung's marketing gimmicks that never ever turn out useful. The eyeball tracking, the finger-hovering, the swipe-to-print screen, etc... (the last one is a huge pain on my S3 since it's so insanely laggy by now it fails to detect my hand properly!)
Sign In or Register to comment.