Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77

Don't everyone get mad....but the future growth is mobile and that means larger iPhones and iPads. Especially, iPads.

I think the iPad Pro line will still be running iOS, albeit a more powerful version, but not OSX.

• Reply 42 of 77
    Call it the iPad Pro. It is this device that makes me think we will see real operating system features, such as a true file system, emerge in iOS 8 to go with this pro tablet. Other pro features would be 2 GB of RAM, eSATA speed flash memory, virtual memory (which will absolutely scream with fast flash) and a quad core CPU. We got 64 bit in the A7 to give Apple and third party developers a platform to test with iOS 8's pro features when it goes to beta at WWDC 2014. I would not be at all surprised to see a native XCode development system running on this new iPad.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    [COLOR=030201]" I'm finding it hard to browse websites on my iPhone5, they are too narrow in portrait mode and too shallow in landscape. I also despise the awkward navigation bars that disappear and appear when scrolling, not to mention the annoying controls that come up when I swipe upwards to scroll aarrrgh! "[/COLOR]

You can turn off the controls coming up when you swipe upwards in Settings>Control Center.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    Wh
    flaneur wrote: »
    Ok, where's Tallest Skil in this thread? People were so ragging on him the other day, and now look what happened. This is one of his favorite topics, and he was one of my favorite sergeants-at-arms with the trolls.

What would his opinion be?
  • Reply 45 of 77
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Regarding an iPad Pro... perhaps... but it won't be anything like we're trying to dream up in this thread.

Oh, and don't even continue with a more powerful iOS just for "pro" devices, Apple will never create such a clusterfuck as there is between Win RT and Win 8. ;-)

iOS is going to evolve, no question. But I highly doubt it will get fragmented across various models of the same device category. That'd be insane.

• Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

It has WSJ in it.

nothing to see here folks.

This rumor is to make people hesitate on buying an iPad Air.

• Reply 47 of 77
    Gotta be over 1.0 pound. And it's just a rumor!
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Dudes, this is the 256GB tablet that Woz so badly wants. Although why he lives in a no-broadband area and continues to complain amazes me. Why not just move?

Anyway, the huge iPad for Woz, I think it's clear what it will be called.

The WozPad.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    flaneur wrote: »
    Ok, where's Tallest Skil in this thread? People were so ragging on him the other day, and now look what happened. This is one of his favorite topics, and he was one of my favorite sergeants-at-arms with the trolls.

I think he is currently banned.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    This rumor is to make people hesitate on buying an iPad Air.

How so? Real vs rumor? I chose real.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

IMHO it'd be a niche product (like the MacBook Pro 17), but once they've filled the more obvious parts of the product line why not is my reaction. I'd have had more severe doubts before the iPad Air, but that product's weight reduction over earlier design pads means a larger pad wouldn't be prohibitively heavy I expect.

I doubt I'd buy it, more likely to go smaller for portability from my iPad Air, but for some a "desktop" iPad could be useful. Somewhat better video viewing?

• Reply 52 of 77
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    Call it the iPad Pro. It is this device that makes me think we will see real operating system features, such as a true file system, emerge in iOS 8 to go with this pro tablet. Other pro features would be 2 GB of RAM, eSATA speed flash memory, virtual memory (which will absolutely scream with fast flash) and a quad core CPU. We got 64 bit in the A7 to give Apple and third party developers a platform to test with iOS 8's pro features when it goes to beta at WWDC 2014. I would not be at all surprised to see a native XCode development system running on this new iPad.

LOL. The iPad has a "true file system." It's just invisible to users.

And what you call "pro" features is just the rest of Mac OS X that was stripped out of iOS.

Please. Apple's vision of post-PC does not equal Windows Tablet PC. It is not Mac in a tablet.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I'm down for it. With the major reduction in form factor of the iPad Air, I'm confident they can deliver a 12" screen that is still so small and light, and is basically all display.

• Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:

I am pretty sure the navigation only goes away if you are inactive for a long time and come back if you tap the screen.

and control center

->requires 2 swipes up in app to open

->can be turned off.

you're welcome

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

" I'm finding it hard to browse websites on my iPhone5, they are too narrow in portrait mode and too shallow in landscape. I also despise the awkward navigation bars that disappear and appear when scrolling, not to mention the annoying controls that come up when I swipe upwards to scroll aarrrgh! "

You can turn off the controls coming up when you swipe upwards in Settings>Control Center.

I do like Control Center will not to turn it off, but my point is it's poorly implemented. I often find myself bringing it up without meaning to. Apple should've added Control Center as a tab in Notification Center, or have an option to turn off Notification Center and have Control Center swipe in from the top.

I really hope iOS8 will NOT have swipes from the left and right edges too.

• Reply 55 of 77
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

control center

->requires 2 swipes up in app to open

Just 1 swipe, anytime anywhere, unless inactivated.

You can thank me later.

• Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think we all understand at some point iOS and OSX will effectively merge and all that will matter will be how one chooses to interact with the OS.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right, with a strong distinction in the devices based on user input (touch or cursor). The first major step I think will be to make a high(er) margin, low(er) price laptop, based on ARM, running iOS, but using a cursor interface and able to run optimized OSX apps. I don't think this would contradict Tim's comments, as it would be a hybrydizing of the OSs, but not of functionality; It'd still funciton fully as a laptop. Of course I could be way off, but it's still fun trying to read the tea leaves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I hope not. He makes the trolls' ridiculous comments more entertaining.

• Reply 57 of 77
    iPad Pro? Who knows maybe that's why there's no touch ID or it's just fora screen siz:\e option
  • Reply 58 of 77
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

This is conceivable.

I think the MBA 11" is next on the chopping block (and the 13" Macbook Pro  nonRD).

by 2015 I wouldn't be surprised to see

4" iphone 5s

6" iphone 6

8" iPad Mini RD

10" Ipad Air (rd)

12" Ipad Pro (rd)

13" MacBook Air

13" MacBook Pro (rd)

15" Macbook Pro (rd)

21" iMac

27" iMac

27" iMac Pro (4K)

Mac Mini

Mac Pro  (4K)

27" Cinema Display (4K)

40" Cinema display (4K)

Apple TV 3 (4K)

This is a simple and compelling product swath

I don't think both the 13" MacBook Air and the 13" Mac Book Pro survive.   As the MBP gets thinner and lighter, there's no reason for the Air to exist unless there can be a huge price differentiation.   I actually think that's why they called the new iPad, the iPad Air - it replaces most uses of the MacBook Air for those people who mostly consume media and use simple apps.  I bet there's already substantial erosion of 13" MB Air sales to the iPad.

I also don't quite believe this current rumor unless Apple truly believes that in the long term, most Macs go away. 

• Reply 59 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bananaman wrote: »
    It has WSJ in it.
    nothing to see here folks.

It is extremely sad to see a respected publication like the WSJ dive so fast into the gutter. They went from a publication that went to great lengths to make sure they got the facts right, to a publication that doesn't seem to understand the concept of researching and article.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator

I hope not. He makes the trolls' ridiculous comments more entertaining.

He's on a temporary ban for using ad-homs. He'll be back Thursday sometime.