Rumor: Foxconn testing production of larger-screened iPad for 2014 release

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    What if this is an infotainment pad for the auto central console?
  • Reply 62 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    too much... 
    That I'd agree with.
    12" 
    128GB  (256GB  it too much for a company that is driving to a cloud storage model)
    This I disagree with. It is in the users best interest to have as much internal storage as possible. Latency makes some use cases impossible, beyond that not everybody has 24/7 access to the net. The lack of storage capacity bumps in the last round of iPads really bothers me as that is their greatest short coming.
    Touch ID

No more than $999... it will replace the MBA 11" in the price point range.
    and 899 for a 64GB model.
    I don't see iPads ever replacing the laptops completely as long as iOS is so restricted. The only way iOS can completely displace laptops would be to free up the iOS to remove the most serious restrictions. This would especially mean the restriction on interpreters and user installed software.
    Question would be would they build a 32GB model?  So you have .99(5c)  99(6c) 199((6c/6s)  299 (6s/Mini)  399(MiniRD,old Air 16) 499(new TouchID Air16) 599(New Air32) 699 (new Air64) 799(new air128/Pro32) 899(pro64) 999(pro 128) 1099 (MBA13/128)

This again is a compelling product swath with cross over points.   Apple will take whatever wad of cash you have and sell you something;-)

If this machine is real I could see Apple sliding the entire iPad line down the price scale by this time next year. A couple of inches in screen size simply doesn't justify the significantly higher entry level price. In other words $799 for an entry level iPad of any size is asinine.
  • Reply 63 of 77
    irun262 wrote: »
    Do people really think that Apple is going to no longer make a BootCamp / OSX compatible device in the 11" MBA size???

I think we will see an alternative product that doesn't immediately replace the current AI's with their Intel chip. Long term all bets are off, the Windows world is going down hill pretty fast.
  • Reply 64 of 77
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snookie View Post

You are going to have to try harder than that to troll.  What Cook clearly, and obviously, said is hybrid devices make neither good tablets or good laptops. 

Rogifan is no troll!

• Reply 65 of 77
    vaporland wrote: »
    We already have a "virtual" iPad running in OS X in Xcode.
    Non developers just don't understand the concept here. The fact that iOS apps run trouble free on Mac OS, as i86 binaries, should highlight to people how closely linked these two systems are. IOS and Mac OS have a lot more in common than many can grasp.
    I'm thinking of a "Mac Pad Air" that is primarily an OS X device, but also running iOS apps, using one of apple's Ax processors.
    You might be reading my mind here. I would expect the processor to only be an Apple AX processor though. OS/X would be retargeted to ARM 64. This would actually be great, as it would be the first full blown UNIX like environment on ARM 64.
    Primary UI would be OS X, and then iOS apps could run in a window or zoom to full screen
    mode much like windows does in parallels.
    Yep! This is exactly what I want to see.

It would likely require a revision to iOS to make apps a little more file system aware though. Right now finding your data Files in iOS would be a nightmare. In fact file handling is still a major flaw within iOS if you ask me.
  • Reply 66 of 77
    snookie wrote: »
    As soon as I heard they were calling this the iPad Air I had a feeling something else was coming.

A heavier model? Who wants a less portable tablet?
  • Reply 67 of 77
    (Double post--WTF?)

As much as Windows Tablet PC fans dream of it, Apple is not going to make a "Mac OS X tablet." That's exactly the kind of dull thinking that gave us two decades of Windows for Pen Computing/Pen Extensions. That paradigm of tablets that failed. Microsoft ran with it, and it went nowhere.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    muaddib wrote: »
    I know Tim Cook said hybrids are not something Apple will do, but Jobs previously said things that they would not do that they ended up adding. Like video to the iPod and doing books.

There are people on these forums who interpret statements from Apple about what they WON'T do as evidence of the opposite. The world changes fast and there are no absolutes. What makes sense today may not make sense tomorrow. Apple's management is not speaking in opposites. It's not some carefully conceived misinformation campaign. I think they changed their mind.

iPod and iTunes for Windows was an early mindset shift that proved very successful for them, once they saw iPod as a successful product in its own right and not just a way to sell more Macs.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Non developers just don't understand the concept here. The fact that iOS apps run trouble free on Mac OS, as i86 binaries, should highlight to people how closely linked these two systems are. IOS and Mac OS have a lot more in common than many can grasp.
    You might be reading my mind here. I would expect the processor to only be an Apple AX processor though. OS/X would be retargeted to ARM 64. This would actually be great, as it would be the first full blown UNIX like environment on ARM 64.

It would likely require a revision to iOS to make apps a little more file system aware though. Right now finding your data Files in iOS would be a nightmare. In fact file handling is still a major flaw within iOS if you ask me.

We agree 100%. Must be the only iOS devs on this thread. It's just a compile switch away in Xcode.

Definitely see the Ax-only-CPU iPad Pro, running OS X and iOS, selling for 1/3 less than rMBPs. No intel tax. Since Intel = wintel in many eyes, apple would have no prob throwing intel away.

At that price point, nobody will miss Boot Camp / Parallels / Win7-8

File handling will finally get cleaned up with some OS X system settings.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    vaporland wrote: »
    We agree 100%. Must be the only iOS devs on this thread. It's just a compile switch away in Xcode.

Definitely see the Ax-only-CPU iPad Pro, running OS X and iOS, selling for 1/3 less than rMBPs. No intel tax. Since Intel = wintel in many eyes, apple would have no prob throwing intel away.

At that price point, nobody will miss Boot Camp / Parallels / Win7-8

File handling will finally get cleaned up with some OS X system settings.

Do all developers really think that the only software that matters is software that can be recompiled?! Legacy software can not be ignored and there is no way an Intel to ARM 'Rosetta' style emulator can run fast enough on ARM

I think being able to still run BootCamp/Windows could be an important factor in convincing current customers of Windows to consider getting a Mac. Apple needs more converts like me that now love OSX but require a bit of legacy Windows software for certain tasks.

I will be so disappointed if the new MBA is an ARM based experiment. I think Apple may do that some day but Microsoft has already proven, at least for now, it isn't ready for prime time.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

OS/X would be retargeted to ARM 64. This would actually be great, as it would be the first full blown UNIX like environment on ARM 64.

I think the Linux community is ahead on this one. http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/02/27/1330237/

• Reply 72 of 77
    icarbon wrote: »
    I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.
    Uh, no.
    sog35 wrote: »
    iPad Pro
    A7X
    Touch ID
    12 inch screen
    12 hour battery
    $799 - 32GB
    $899 - 64GB
    $999 - 128GB
    $1099 - 256GB
    Only thing is it will likely be A8X
    This is conceivable.

I think the MBA 11" is next on the chopping block (and the 13" Macbook Pro  nonRD).  
    by 2015 I wouldn't be surprised to see

4" iphone 5s
    6" iphone 6
    8" iPad Mini RD
    10" Ipad Air (rd)
    12" Ipad Pro (rd)
    13" MacBook Air
    13" MacBook Pro (rd)
    15" Macbook Pro (rd)
    21" iMac
    27" iMac
    27" iMac Pro (4K)
    Mac Mini 
    Mac Pro  (4K)
    27" Cinema Display (4K)
    40" Cinema display (4K)
    Apple TV 3 (4K)

This is a simple and compelling product swath
    that sounds close but I really think it will eventually be iPhone mini 3(.5) inch-$100
    iPhone(iPod in plus $400 on all)
    4 inch-$200
    4.5/5 inch-$300
    IPad-
    8 inch-$400
    10 inch-$500
    12 inch-$700
    MacBook-(low spec)13 inch-$1000
    15 inch-$1300
    MacBook-(mid spec)13 inch-$1300
    15 inch-$1500
    17 inch-$1800
    MacBook-(high spec)13 inch-$1600
    15 inch-$2000
    17 inch-$2300
    Extreme spec
    13 inch-$1900
    15 inch-$2500
    17 inch-$2800

Mac tower
    Low spec-$600
    Moderately low-$1000
    Mid-$1600
    Little bit less than high-$2200
    High-$3000
    Extreme-$5000
    Super extreme-$7000

iMac 23 inch
    No spec-$1000
    Really low-$1300
    Low-$1500
    Moderately low-$1800
    Mid-$2000
    Little bit less than high-$2400
    High-$2700
    Exteme-$3200

IMac-27 inch
    No spec-$1500
    Low spec-$1800
    Low med.-$2200
    Med-$2500
    High med.-$2800
    High-$3200
    Extreme-$3500

IMac-33 inch
    No spec-$2000
    Low spec-$2500
    Med-$3200
    High-$3900
    Extreme-$4200

Apple TV-40 inch
    Low-$3000
    High-$4000

Apple TV-50 inch
    Low-$4000
    High-$5000

Apple TV-60 inch
    Low-$5000
    High-$6000

Apple TV-70 inch
    -$7000(only high availible

Apple TV-85 inch
    -$10,000(best specs only behind extreme macs)

Do you think this would be to extreme/exaggerated, I feel it matched current prices espicially if all
    too much... 
    12" 
    128GB  (256GB  it too much for a company that is driving to a cloud storage model)
    Touch ID

No more than $999... it will replace the MBA 11" in the price point range.
    and 899 for a 64GB model.
    Question would be would they build a 32GB model?  So you have .99(5c)  99(6c) 199((6c/6s)  299 (6s/Mini)  399(MiniRD,old Air 16) 499(new TouchID Air16) 599(New Air32) 699 (new Air64) 799(new air128/Pro32) 899(pro64) 999(pro 128) 1099 (MBA13/128)

This again is a compelling product swath with cross over points.   Apple will take whatever wad of cash you have and sell you something;-)
    those specs are probably the maxed out, I figue apple would have 32 or 64 gb min., maybe a 256 or up to 512 options (these seem only nessecary if it will come with OS X, but who knows) all this could varry.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    Ooh look, it's a maxiPad :-)

[ I know someone else beat me to it :-) ]
  • Reply 74 of 77
    I think he is currently banned.

Marvin wrote: »
    He's on a temporary ban for using ad-homs. He'll be back Thursday sometime.

He has always been the enjoyed commenter, sorta weird to see him at one point a moderator, and now on temp. Ban
    wizard69 wrote: »

I would love to see this too, but we either are going to see OS X bumped down a bit (which it has at this point in battery, in a IPad it could get a estimated 9 hours) to support a A series processor, or see A processors jump a bit before it's integrated, the IPad air and 11 inch MacBook Air seem to be simular enough they might both run it, but I assume OS X will move towards the new Mac pros, and MacBook pros (and iMacs of course) eventually upgrading it to loose support for MacBook airs/minis, maybe we will see a hybrid between the 2, running like its Mac OS but in the end it is a updated IOS? If my previous guess the Mac book air will eventually be dropped is true either we will see no more cheap device support or it hitting a tablet.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Hoping Tallest Skil returns soon. His razor sharp wit is one of the great pleasures of this site.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

I hope they actually mean a touchscreen for a macbook pro -- giant tablet is just an unusable idea from a large market perspective.

Wow, both halves of this sentence are completely backward. Have you ever used a touchscreen laptop? Are you a silverback gorilla and doing so isn’t a physical problem for you? Vertical touchscreens are useless unless you are standing.

Originally Posted by muaddib View Post

Apple could create a hybrid device if they were able to run OS X in some sort of Rosetta like way.

If by ‘Rosetta’ you mean ‘comes with robotic arms to touch the screen for you since you won’t want to do it for more than five minutes but will blame everyone but yourself for wanting such a bad product in the first place unless there’s some sort of justification for the cost’, sure.

I know Tim Cook said hybrids are not something Apple will do, but Jobs previously said things that they would not do that they ended up adding. Like video to the iPod and doing books. 

In absolutely no way, shape, or form are these arguments the same. Not even fundamentally. 

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is extremely sad to see a respected publication like the WSJ dive so fast into the gutter. They went from a publication that went to great lengths to make sure they got the facts right, to a publication that doesn't seem to understand the concept of researching and article.

+2: because +1 just isn’t enough.