Analyst predicts two iPhone releases per year after meeting with Apple's CEO, CFO

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

I disagree.

my guess is that only the 'c'  gets 'feature lifts' on the 'tock' cycle, whereas 's' (or plain) gets a performance lift (either new battery or new processor).   Reason:  Keeps the 1 year OS cycle intact.  Introducing new features requires a New OS... my guess is that at most, they want a point release update in the Spring.

Yeah I agree, and nothing in my post says otherwise.

Fall of 2014 line up will be:

*iPhone 6 (4", A8)

*iPhone 6 (4.7", A8)

iPhone 5c (4", A6)  <--- No change here, maybe price lowered

*iPad mini (A8)

*iPad Air (A8)

iPad Pro (A7X)

Spring of 2015 line up will be:

iPhone 6 (4", A8)

iPhone 6 (4.7", A8)

*iPhone 6c (4", A7)  <--- Nothing new here; same internals as the "5s", but in colorful plastic

*iPhone 6c (4.7", A7)

iPad mini (A8)

iPad Air (A8)

*iPad Pro (A8X)

*New models

Updated to include iPad.

• Reply 22 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Ah, ok, I see now.

I don't know if Apple is going to do that with their iPhone releases, but I do think that Apple should be releasing hot products in every single quarter, and not have a whole bunch of products all being released around the same time.

It seems that Apple likes to bring out the new stuff just when people are getting into the buying mood.

• Reply 23 of 59
    Same prediction that was made by "analysts" last year. Apple's updates aren't significant enough to warrant twice a year releases. They'd run their innovation pipeline dry within two years.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    shompa wrote: »
    This is not Steve Jobs Apple.

If it was Steve Jobs Apple: iPhone is a software platform. A new iPhone is only released with a new OS.

Maybe Tim will play Samsung and release meaningless hardware upgrades a couple of times a year.

You're not actually taking a Katy Huberty comment seriously are you?
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Every analyst's wet dream prediction. It comes up with such frequency its no wonder they believe themselves. I guess one day a 'services arm' of Apple may become an independent entity, but so far in it's history Apple has strived to offer integrated solutions where hardware is the revenue driver and software and services create the user experience and ecosystem for the hardware and user to operate within. Fantasize as they may - is there any evidence that this is about to change?

iTunes is a major service of Apple's. After years of, arguably, being a break-even "business", it is become an increasingly profitable revenue stream. Horace Dediu has a nice run-down on this over a series of articles. Here's his most recent-impressive revenue numbers: http://www.asymco.com/2013/08/05/itunes-update/

• Reply 26 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Here's what happens. When Apple releases a new flagship phone, people line up to buy it, and it takes a couple of months for production to catch up with demand. BUT, Apple has historically only offered one size flagship phone. As far as I'm concerned, it would have been better if Apple had released a larger screen model iPhone 6 months ago that was a larger version of the iPhone 5.

The would have created a lot of sales if they did.

So, fast forward to now.

Instead of making last year's flagship the cheaper model, they did a slight enhancement to the battery, stuck it in a colorful polycarb case and made that their second tier iPhone 5C as they came out out the updated iPhone 5 and called it the iPhone 5S.

I think it's a good strategy to make their second tier (eventually their entry level phone) out of a different and less expansive case. I think that's a wise move, but where Apple could have done better was to offer better colors.

But to flip flip every 6 or so months and announce a different sized model is what they SHOULD do and probably the only thing they CAN do due to availability of parts and even people to spit out two large demand products at the same time. Probably why Apple is shipping iPads and not the iPad mini 2's.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the next iPhone with a larger screen. I would like to see them add more RAM to the processor and spit them out with at least 2GB if not 4GB.

The A7 is super fast, so why do you need more RAM-more pixels on a larger Retina screen? Just because more is better? Why couldn't they achieve the same performance benchmarks an A8?

• Reply 27 of 59

I dislike people referring to the 5C as "mid range". Outside the US, the pricing gets very silly very quickly. Here in the UK, a 5C costs significantly more than a 5S in the US does. Hell, an iPhone 4s costs more here than a 5C in the US.

That's the reason for the constant harping of the analysts about "mid range": outside the US, pricing is significantly inflated and if Apple were to price phones more competitively there are a lot of potential sales they could snatch away from Samsung.

• Reply 28 of 59

She was right. They did that with iTunes Radio.

• Reply 29 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple unveiled a larger iPhone, larger iPad and/or a phablet at WWDC next year.

Why at WWDC? Because new resolutions will require developers to make use of the auto-layout APIs if they don't already (and many don't).  So these devices will need to be announced in advance.

iOS 8 might also introduce split-screen multi-tasking, which will also require the use of auto-layout.

Great points.

• Reply 30 of 59

What about the end of the article?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Many believe that Apple is in the early stages of a strategy that would use Touch ID alongside iOS 7's Bluetooth-based iBeacons functionality to create a new mobile payment system. Such a system, if implemented, could be a significant revenue source for Apple thanks to the size of the iOS device installed base alone.

This seems like a more exciting prospect than anything else in this post. I'm imagining brick and mortar stores that have no need to carry inventory.

Suddenly you can fit a specialized store in any little hole in the wall. Folks can come in to touch and feel your product, use their phone to place an order, and then leave empty-handed knowing that their new widget is on its way to your home. No longer must you carry around bags and bags of stuff while shopping!

• Reply 31 of 59
    rick5 wrote: »
    Really......it took a meeting with cook to figure that out? They don't have anything new, so what else can they do?

If by "they" you mean the analysts, of course they don't have anything new. Meeting with Tim Cook is big news, for them. It's not something that happens every day.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    "... Katy Huberty..."  <end reading>

If it was Ming-Chi Kuo, the article would have been accompanied by a short bio and effusive praise for his predictions.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It seems that Apple likes to bring out the new stuff just when people are getting into the buying mood.

I agree that's the case with consumer (especially mobile) products. Institutional budgets tend not to revolve around the fall/holiday buying season.

More often, it seems, Apple is willing or forced to release desktops and notebooks away from the holiday schedule. They SHOULD release new Macs in the Spring and perhaps also the 6" iPhone and 12" iPad, as these may be more expensive (not holiday gifts) and may be more desirable to education and enterprise. Additionally, manufacturing capacity is strained around the consumer holiday buying season.

Also, Apple is at the mercy of Intel's roadmap for Mac silicon. (Constraints on their Mac hardware release schedules may be a reason why some predict that their supplier-client relationship with Intel will change in the near term.)

• Reply 34 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Ah, ok, I see now.

I don't know if Apple is going to do that with their iPhone releases, but I do think that Apple should be releasing hot products in every single quarter, and not have a whole bunch of products all being released around the same time.

Agreed, especially when there are enough component overlaps (the phones) that the "supply constraints" bite into their availability, the peak demand phenomena: having that max capacity all the time when it's only needed once a year for maybe three months has got to be excessively costly….. even if only for the OEMs and assemblers it still jacks up the unit cost.

• Reply 35 of 59
    carthusia wrote: »
    The A7 is super fast, so why do you need more RAM-more pixels on a larger Retina screen? Just because more is better? Why couldn't they achieve the same performance benchmarks an A8?

More is better. Larger numbers are better. New is better. Higher version numbers are better. Faster is better.

28 years of Wintel PCs have conditioned me to think this way. Windows gets slower, PCs get faster. Windows hogs more memory, PCs get more memory. This is the way of things. Do not question it. /s
  • Reply 36 of 59
    sog35 wrote: »
    Like the idea.  Keep releasing the flagship phone and tablet during the holidays.  Then release the 'pro' version in late spring/early summer:

Sept - iPhone 6
    Nov - iPad Air / iPad Mini

April - iPhone 6X (large screen)
    May - iPadPro

WWDC is in June. Why announce before the big conference? The keynote would be boring.
  • Reply 37 of 59

Katy sees Tim in a cab and runs after it banging on the window.

Katy screaming: "Tim, will you be releasing 2 new iPhones next year?!"

Tim yelling at the cab driver: "I've told you twice, hit the peddle!"

Katy, still screaming: "You'll be releasing iPhones twice next year?!"

Tim, exasperated: "Go, man... GO!!"

Katy writes in notebook: "Tim said twice next year is a go."

• Reply 38 of 59
    virtua wrote: »
    They haven't predicted the second coming of Steve, or maybe that's just been announced lol.

I've heard he's recently started replying to his email...
  • Reply 39 of 59
    WWDC is in June. Why announce before the big conference? The keynote would be boring.

The keynotes are already boring... zzzzz.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    xjyamaha wrote: »
    Same prediction that was made by "analysts" last year. Apple's updates aren't significant enough to warrant twice a year releases. They'd run their innovation pipeline dry within two years.

Rather then twice a year releases, Apple needs a new product of some kind to bring out during the summer doldrums ...

Staying with the single release each year, will also preserve the excitement buildup...