Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    My wife's iPhone 4S has this really nasty looking discolored burn in the upper-right hand corner of her screen.  She can't get rid of it.  I'm tempted to buy a magnet and try to pull it out, but I fear damaging the phone.  Not that she cares, really.  Ever since iOS7 was released, and she noticed that most of the new features are Android copies (not to mention her phone runs like crap now), she's getting a Galaxy S4.  But you're right.  This myth of superior Apple build quality has got to stop.  It's physically impossible, and has been proven to be impossible more times than I care to remember.  Count the class-action lawsuits.  There's a ton of them.

Nice anecdote. My 4S runs great and has no imperfections.

As for lawsuits, that doesn't mean anything. Lawyers can make cases with little evidence or truth.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Reference the double class action lawsuits, two years in a row against Apple for shipping truckloads of iMacs and Macbooks with defective screens and GPUs.  The screens were either D.O.A., piss-yellow, skewed, or the GPUs failed.  Apple fought tooth and nail to keep from honoring their warranties, enraging legions of Apple customers.  The worst part is that these incidents happened in bulk around the Christmas seasons, which made things a whole lot worse.  Apple has a rather notorious history when it comes to defective displays.
    Truckloads? Legions? Amazing then that Apple sells anything at all? I suppose you'd just chalk it up to fanbois buying the Apple hype machine. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 43 of 104
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

I've purchased about two dozen iPads and a dozen iPhones since 2010, and have personally seen each of the defects I listed above.

Out of all of those devices only three had no noticeable screen issues, so you do the math.

I'm not blaming Apple. I'm only stating that "perfect" displays are rare, and no one should expect any different just because of some rumor they're delaying the launch until they get all the panels just right. That is what's bullshit.

I guess, you are a beginner troll. Usually, more advanced trolls try to do a better job covering their BS.

• Reply 44 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason79 View Post

IGZO, a-Si, LTPS?!

Are they sure apple will using all sort of different spec back panel that all have different electrical condutivity spec on the same product?

correct me if I am wrong that all this back panel will have different characteristic that  directly impact on the battery consumption to screen quality.

I mean this will sure cause performance gap from power consumption point of view and image quality across all the IPAD that have different back panel in it. Sounds ridiculous to me. 

I was just about to write this. These "industry sources" don't seem to know anything about their industry. It makes no sense to me that Apple would source IGZO and non-IGZO panels for the same product. Third party tests confirmed that the iPad Air's IGZO display is responsible for a huge percentage of the power savings of the entire device. There is zero chance that some ipad Mini's would have a display that consumes ~60% more power and therefore gets x amount of hours less of battery life. Zero.

• Reply 45 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Ummmm, several companies beat Apple to the personal computer market.  Hell, even Altair did it!  The modern GUI?  Sorry, you're thinkin' Xerox, and the Star Workstation.  "Numerous interface standards?"  Like what?  Dead n' buried Firewire?  Perhaps Thunderbolt......or shall I say....Lightpeak, of which Intel owns 100% rights to?  The modern MP3 player?  Ever seen Sony's NW-series MP3 players?  Pocket-sized with an LCD readout, while Apple offered that clunky, ugly, gigantic first-gen iPod.  The digital music industry?  Debatable.  I laugh at your retail experience comment.  I won't even go there.  Best customer service?  According to a study, Apple's customer service satisfaction index plummeted from the 70th percentile to the 50th, just four points ahead of Dell, and were predicted to be dead last if they didn't pull their socks up in 2012.  Smartphones?  RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM.  And RIM.  "Stylish" computers don't mean much when they're weak, overpriced, and dead ended.  I'm waiting for Apple to start soldering HDDs down, as well as RAM and CPUs.

Your Kool-Aid is spiked by Cupertino.  Toss it down the sink and begin an immediate detox diet.  

IF you cant understand the difference between the Xerox GUI concept and how much R&D was involved into making this a working OS you need to go back to youre android geek fandoid sites imo.  Fact is Apple did 95% of the work and fact is Microsoft and IBM clone the crap out of it.

On the Apple market disruption of the MP3 player, smartphone and tablet. Yes, you F idiot, we know those existed before. But did you look at what the devices look like before Apple revamp them and how , again, the freaking world clone the crap out of there R&D.

Ps, sorry if I am cranky this morning but I work in IT on the mainframe, it is my turn on the pager this week and I spent the half the night fixing bugs because of bunch of geeks that thinks they  are so smart cant test there shit properly before putting it up in the production environnent.  Now if you excuse me a have to go yell at some people in a meeting.

• Reply 46 of 104
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    herbapou wrote: »
    corvus wrote: »
    Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.

Seriously, I am getting so annoy by retarded Android geeks with specs fixations that I may beat of crap out of the next geek I see on the street carrying an Android phone.

Ok, I'm next in line...the rest please form an orderly queue. 8-)
  • Reply 47 of 104
    Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

No ipad mini retina for xmas is gonna hurt this quarters results.

Good thing that isn’t happening, then, huh?

• Reply 48 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Running back to daddy...

According to Korean sources...

• Reply 49 of 104
    Sharp have been in trouble for years know. Good tech but not able to implement. Hopefully the failure rates will decrease as the production ramps up. This is typical for the industry but ideally the major issues are solved before the components are needed.

Apple would like to move away from Samsung but they need reliable sources. Time will tell if they are able to get Sharp and LG up to speed and deliver the majority of the component demand. The end result is the same: Samsung will get less money from Apple over time but the period in which that happens will be longer than we would like.
  • Reply 50 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by utsava View Post

I was just about to write this. These "industry sources" don't seem to know anything about their industry. It makes no sense to me that Apple would source IGZO and non-IGZO panels for the same product. Third party tests confirmed that the iPad Air's IGZO display is responsible for a huge percentage of the power savings of the entire device. There is zero chance that some ipad Mini's would have a display that consumes ~60% more power and therefore gets x amount of hours less of battery life. Zero.

Didn't you read the post a few back, Samsung and LG have licensed IGZO from Sharp. Hell Samsung owns 5% of Sharp.

• Reply 51 of 104
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Slightly off topic but after I purchased iPad Air, I don't think I will be waiting for the Mini. The improvements in terms of size, weight, and handling are enormous.  

• Reply 52 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

My wife's iPhone 4S has this really nasty looking discolored burn in the upper-right hand corner of her screen.

Yeah, those Samsung display panels are a real let down. /s

• Reply 53 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Didn't you read the post a few back, Samsung and LG have licensed IGZO from Sharp. Hell Samsung owns 5% of Sharp.

Actually they all licensed the IP behind IGZO from the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) who funded the development beginning several years back. Samsung was the first licensee in 2011, with Sharp and LG signing on last year. Sharp was just the more aggressive of the three in actually developing and promoting displays using IGZO technology which led some blogs and new articles to inaccurately write that Sharp invented and control it. They don't.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually they all licensed the IP behind IGZO from the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) who funded the development beginning several years back. Samsung was the first licensee in 2011, with Sharp and LG signing on last year. Sharp was just the more aggressive of the three in actually developing and promoting displays using IGZO technology which led some blogs and new articles to inaccurately write that Sharp invented and control it. They don't.

I'm not arguing whether LG or Samsung can produce IGZO displays. I'm arguing the sentence in the original article that states: "According to the report, LG is using a different, more common substrate called amorphous silicon, or a-Si, for its TFTs."

There is no way Apple is going to replace IGZO displays with non-IGZO displays in the same product. The power profiles are vastly different.  

• Reply 55 of 104
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Seriously guys if they can source screens for the Air, the iPhone, touch and whatever why would the Mini have a problem? Yeah I know it's higher resolution but such screens already exist in the market place. I still think the delay has to be something else.

There are two things to consider.

One, it's not a question of ability but of quantity.

Two, if you take , for instance, doff the same PPI if you 4x the resolution of the iPhone 5S display and see it's perfect you have made what equates to 4 iPhone displays, but if you have an issue in one spot bad in one sector you then have 3 iPhone displays. Now let's say for the sake of the argument the iPad Mini is exactly 4x the iPhone display. With no issues you have one iPad Mini display, but with an issue in one area you have no iPad Mini displays. This makes scaling the same PPI panels exponentially more difficult as you use a higher resolution.

Frankly impressed that Apple was able to do Retina at all this year at the scale they will need.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    ratsrats Posts: 21member
    Sharp should just hang it up. Not the company but the terrible upper management that's been running the company into the ground. Fire them all and replace them with energetic young blood that gets it.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    No ipad mini retina for xmas is gonna hurt this quarters results. Suprising apple is still subservient to samsung after everything so far.

Well, a lot of us did say long ago that the Retina iPad mini wouldn't be ready for primetime until 2014. I myself made that statement shortly after the original mini was released. Of course, that statement was made based on Apple's normal routine of release upgrades at the same price point. Apple increased the price and a 2013 release is looking a bit sketchy. Or at best with severely constrained supply. <br><br>

That said, a Retina mini will be great once it's available. But it does seem Apple may have jumped the gun trying to hit the holiday buying season.
  • Reply 58 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Yeah, those Samsung display panels are a real let down. /s

Lol, pwn
  • Reply 59 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    There's no reason to trust anything said in this "report." As [B]utsava[/B] is saying, the alternatives they're giving Apple for Sharp's supposed problems are absurd. If you look at their other stories on the linked page, you can see they're cheerleaders for Samsung, if not an outright disinformation conduit.

Edit: But I forgot about the story from Nikkei two weeks ago that said similar things about Sharp without the burn-in or IGZO details. So this Korean site has something to peg its story on after all. Whether any of it is true remains to be seen.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    gatorguy wrote: »

I believe you're talking about the first phase of IGZO development. There's a second phase with a different set of processes.

I forget the details. You have the visible means of support to do the research. Please get back to us with an update. Sharp and another Japanese research institution were involved in that one. Different patents, probably.