Apple's online stores go down worldwide amid Retina iPad mini launch rumors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'd like to see Apple release the Mini Retina now, in an hour or two.

I'm not planning on getting one for myself, but it's just good to see Apple mixing things up, and doing the unpredictable.

Screw an announcement date! Just release the thing, without telling anybody in advance! Take people by surprise!

If it's true that supply will be constrained, then those people who happen to be up at this very moment and plan to order one will be a step ahead of everybody else who wakes up tomorrow and they realize that holy crap!, Apple already released it, and it's sold out!

• Reply 22 of 63
    Launches are almost always on Friday. I'd say it's a typo. Instead of November 12 it's November 22, 2013.

Looking forward to buying one whenever it's available though.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

Launches are almost always on Friday. I'd say it's a typo. Instead of November 12 it's November 22, 2013.

Looking forward to buying one whenever it's available though.

You snooze, you lose.

• Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post

You snooze, you lose.

Lose what?  

• Reply 25 of 63
    richsadams wrote: »
    Lose what?  

The opportunity to get a retina iPad Mini before February.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:

The opportunity to get a retina iPad Mini before February.

Oh...right.  I waited a few weeks for my gold iPhone 5s.  Wasn't the end of the world.  

The mini(r) will be for the wife so if it's here by Christmas it'll be fine.

I'll check the store in a few minutes.  Pretty sure it's a typo though.

• Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:

The mini(r) will be for the wife so if it's here by Christmas it'll be fine.

It won't be, that was my point. :)

• Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

Oh...right.  I waited a few weeks for my gold iPhone 5s.  Wasn't the end of the world.  

Certainly not the end of the world if you have to wait, but if by staying up a little later and/or setting your alarm clock you can get one sooner rather than later... why not?  

• Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post

Certainly not the end of the world if you have to wait, but if by staying up a little later and/or setting your alarm clock you can get one sooner rather than later... why not?  

Indeed...can't hurt!

The only thing that concerns me are the stories about the burn-in issues they're supposedly having with some of the Sharp displays.  Apparently it isn't visible to the naked eye, but waiting might not be the worst thing either.

• Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

It won't be, that was my point. :)

You may be right, but I seriously doubt it.  

Besides, there's always jewelry!  ;)

• Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:

Indeed...can't hurt!

The only thing that concerns me are the stories about the burn-in issues they're supposedly having with some of the Sharp displays.  Apparently it isn't visible to the naked eye, but waiting might not be the worst thing either.

I've read about the burn-in issue as well.  While it is a concern, I do plan to get Apple Care Plus mainly because I have dropped and broken my previous one, so if there happens to be burn-in issues then I will just let Apple take care of it. 

• Reply 32 of 63
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

If by technical you mean shoddy software. I guess there's anticipation before a major launch, but what about all the minor update downtime? They're undoubtedly losing money there.

I seriously doubt any money lost.  In fact, the argument could be made that money is gained.  But it's almost definitely not lost.

I mean, if you're going to Store with the intention of buying something, be it a new r-Ipad Mini, an iMac, or just a battery charger -- whatever, the store being down isn't going to make you say, "Oh well.  Screw the iMac I was just about to spend $2,700 on.  I'll just get a Dell."

And there's definitely a marketing angle to this, as was said.

• Reply 33 of 63

Woohoo...rumor is true. iPad Mini with Retina on sale now. Looks like all the Wifi + cellular ships in 5-10 days. 

• Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Woohoo...rumor is true. iPad Mini with Retina on sale now. 

Yep.  I don't need one (just got an iPad Air on Nov. 1) but I'm curious to see how quickly these puppies fly off the shelves. :)

• Reply 35 of 63
    iPad mini 2 finally arrived !!!
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I mean, if you're going to Store with the intention of buying something, be it a new r-Ipad Mini, an iMac, or just a battery charger -- whatever, the store being down isn't going to make you say, "Oh well.  Screw the iMac I was just about to spend $2,700 on.  I'll just get a Dell."

You could go to Amazon.com, your cell phone carrier site or one of many competing resellers. And never underestimate how much impulse buying goes on. Something like an Apple TV is perfect for impulse purchases. People buy something then go back and justify it.

• Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Yep.  I don't need one (just got an iPad Air on Nov. 1) but I'm curious to see how quickly these puppies fly off the shelves. :)

Looks like they are going fast. A few wifi models just changed shipping times from 1-3 days to 5-10 days. 

• Reply 38 of 63

You were right! I was (happily) wrong about the typo.  How strange for Apple...but still nice.

Christmas shopping almost done.  :)

• Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:

Looks like they are going fast. A few wifi models just changed shipping times from 1-3 days to 5-10 days. 

Ouchie!  It's been less than 15 minutes. :)

• Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

I think they started at 5-10 days for those models (LTE ones).