Review: Apple's second-generation iPad mini with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 121 of 148
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Low-End Google Nexus 7 Carries $152 BOM, Teardown Reveals 
    http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Low-End-Google-Nexus-7-Carries-$157-BOM-Teardown-Reveals.aspx
    Low-End iPad mini Carries $188 Bill of Materials, Teardown Analysis Reveals 
    http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Low-End-iPad-mini-Carries-188-Bill-of-Materials-Teardown-Analysis-Reveals.aspx
    This is iPad mini not retina mini.

What's the point of your post? To show that a 40% smaller display with mostly inferior components costly less or that BoMs are pointless way to judge the R&D, quality and UX of a product?
  • Reply 122 of 148
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    akqies wrote: »
    What's the point of your post? To show that a 40% smaller display with mostly inferior components costly less or that BoMs are pointless way to judge the R&D, quality and UX of a product?

My point is very clear. You can not understand because you read my post with a colored glass.
  • Reply 123 of 148
    tzeshan wrote: »
    My point is very clear. You can not understand because you read my post with a colored glass.

Are those full sRBG colored glasses?
  • Reply 124 of 148
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Cost of components are not so much a factor in the final iPad mini design. The constraints are size, weight, battery life, manufacturability in the tens of millions quickly, in spite of the 4x pixels, all still within the machined aluminum case. No amount of money spent would allow for "better" backlighting. Technology isn't there yet to put it all in that case.

We can enjoy watching them work this out over the next year or two as they sell all they can make, at least in the early months.
  • Reply 125 of 148
    flaneur wrote: »
    Cost of components are not so much a factor in the final iPad mini design. The constraints are size, weight, battery life, manufacturability in the tens of millions quickly, in spite of the 4x pixels, all still within the machined aluminum case. No amount of money spent would allow for "better" backlighting. Technology isn't there yet to put it all in that case.

We can enjoy watching them work this out over the next year or two as they sell all they can make, at least in the early months.

Don't forget component availability for a given quality for the number of units Apple will need. This is something Apple has to contend with and few other CE vendors do. Samsung might even have to deal with this despite their volume since they have so many phone types to achieve this volume and even within the same product they switch up components.
  • Reply 126 of 148

Ordered my iPad Mini with Retina Display this morning. Looking forward to using it during my morning toilet sessions, when I read about my mayor Rob Ford and do my internet marketing work. :)?

• Reply 127 of 148
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And that would make sense for exactly 6 people in the entire market.

It's infuriating to read comments like this from people with no ability to think through their idiotic statement.

Since 99% of iPad users couldn't care less about SD cards...thus, no SD card slot. For the people that need it twice a year when they actually use a camera that uses SD cards...they have a small adapter.

And no, it would NOT make sense to compromise the design with a dust collector aka SD card slot for expandable storage either. Buy all what you need from start, cheap skate.

I'm expressing my opinion on what I would like to see in the next iPad, and this is how you respond? 

Cheap skate? Infuriating? Idiotic? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

I own a studio and bought more than 30 iMacs, dozens iOS devices... all private money.

Cheap skate because of an SD port suggestion? 

The SD card is an industry standard used on even professional hardware nowadays.

I think an SD card, like on the iMac, makes sense, because it allows you to load in images and/or data from an external device very easily if other options are not available. 

• Reply 128 of 148
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Im expressing my opinion on what I would like to see in the next iPad

You’re not, though. You know exactly what’s going to be in the next iPad, and an SD card slot will never be it. Ever. In any model. 

You. Know. This. And you have for years. There’s no point in continuing to whine about it. Go buy an Android tablet and be rid of it.

• Reply 129 of 148
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

When we talk about instant ON/OFF, there's no place for laptop. Got it? Sale force on the fields, doctors in hospitals and more...do you think they have time to boot up, log on a labtop and open the application?

With SSDs there'd be no need to turn off the laptop, simply sleep mode...

• Reply 130 of 148
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

I think an SD card, like on the iMac, makes sense, because it allows you to load in images and/or data from an external device very easily if other options are not available. 

Apple's SD card adaptor for Lightning really does work very well - my sister has one, she just plugs in the card from the camera and the photos app automatically opens and asks if you want to download. But I agree with you, Apple clearly regards SD as an important standard, it's not just the iMac that has it but the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and even the Mac mini.

• Reply 131 of 148
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Apple's SD card adaptor for Lightning really does work very well - my sister has one, she just plugs in the card from the camera and the photos app automatically opens and asks if you want to download. But I agree with you, Apple clearly regards SD as an important standard, it's not just the iMac that has it but the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and even the Mac mini.

With the dongle iPads have that very same functionality as needed: loading images from an SD card into the pad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

• Reply 132 of 148
    Ah out of everyone on this board, I'd expect you to be the one responding. Talk about 'whining'.

Anyway I don't 'know' this. I'm honored that you think I have some kind of secret access to Apple's product road map, but it's too much honor really.

And. Stop. Using. Unnecessary. Dots. It's compensating for not making a point.

You’re not, though. You know exactly what’s going to be in the next iPad, and an SD card slot will never be it. Ever. In any model. 

You. Know. This. And you have for years. There’s no point in continuing to whine about it. Go buy an Android tablet and be rid of it.
  • Reply 133 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

I rather get a MacBook Air with a full OS inside instead the iOS toy!

Well then, do that! Get a MacBook Air. Whatever works for you.

I have both. Neither are "toys", as you put it, although, games on the iPad can be pretty great. Both are immensely useful tools. iPad Mini running Keynote, pushing a presso to a large screen while I wander freely around the stage, topic notes in hand (on the iPad). The first time you do that, you'll never refer to it as a toy again.

Oh, and ask the pilots of commercial airlines how they like having the 50 pounds of flight manuals installed onto their 1 pound "iOS toy" for use in flight instead. I'm guessing not one of them would prefer a MacBook Air in those cramped quarters. The iPad is just perfect.

Point being, yours was a silly comment, to say the least.

• Reply 134 of 148

Anyway I don't 'know' this.

Yep, you do. You’ve been told before. And you’ve been told now. So go buy something that isn’t an iPad. Your wish will never be fulfilled.

And. Stop. Using. Unnecessary. Dots. It's compensating for not making a point. 

Point was made. Apparently you’re unable to read a single sentence, so parsing it into individual words helps.

• Reply 135 of 148
    Quote:

I'm expressing my opinion on what I would like to see in the next iPad, and this is how you respond? 

Cheap skate? Infuriating? Idiotic? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

I own a studio and bought more than 30 iMacs, dozens iOS devices... all private money.

Cheap skate because of an SD port suggestion? 

The SD card is an industry standard used on even professional hardware nowadays.

I think Apple is trying to lead things in a less accessory-dependent direction when it comes to data sharing, delivery, etc.

If you have a studio full of Macs and iOS devices, then you need to start thinking out of that slot-based box, and into the cloud, airdrop, collaborative space.

Since my business partner also moved to a MacBook Air and iPhone, his thumb drive no longer travels with him. We don't need it. 

I have the "camera connection kit". It's an SD slot available on an as-needed basis. I've used it about 6 times in two years. I wouldn't have used it more often if it was built-in to the iPad. I rarely use SD at all now (for transport, although it's still used for storage in-device), since the devices loading the SD card with data almost all transmit over WiFi or a cabled connection now... 

You mentioned it would be convenient "if no other options were available". But, these days, options are readily available in multiple ways. And you DO have the option for a connection kit in the rare event it's needed.

I'd rather not have one more slot for something to get into, one more connector where something can break and adds expense to the device. 

The SD card meme is a dead horse well flogged in my opinion. 

Oh, and I agree with you that calling you names simply for expressing your opinion was uncalled for. No reason for that at all as far as I could see. I mean, other than flogging an old dead horse again :))

• Reply 136 of 148
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I missed that last year. So did the iPad 2 fall short. Here's Raymond Soneira:

"The iPad mini and iPad 2 both have a reduced Color Gamut due to weak Red and Blue primaries that result from the White LED Backlighting. It's an intentional tradeoff made to increase screen brightness, power efficiency and battery run time. The new iPad corrects these deficiencies and has a much larger Gamut that is an excellent match to the Standard so it can produce accurate colors as long as there is also an accurate Standard White Point and Standard Intensity Scale."

I searched under "iPad mini color gamut."

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_11.html

So it may be the backlight, and that's a bit of a shame, since it's for battery life. I'd rather have the color.

Good research, thank you. 

I think you've got a simple choice to make. Personally, with the Mini, I'd rather have the battery life than "perfect gamut". Stand-alone, and before reading the Anandtech review, I couldn't have told you the reds were lacking. It still looks completely awesome to my eyes. But I use the Mini differently than a full-sized iPad. More reading and reference, less all-out productivity.

So the trade off is pretty simple. If you need the fuller gamut/accuracy, add $100, 1.8" of screen size and a 1/4 pound of weight and just get the iPad Air.

If you want the smaller factor with the full battery life in retina (and I think probably most of us do), that's the trade off.  Apparently we can't have both yet.

I expect they'll get it sorted with the next generation though. Maybe. Are you willing to wait? :)

• Reply 137 of 148
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I missed that last year. So did the iPad 2 fall short. Here's Raymond Soneira:

"The iPad mini and iPad 2 both have a reduced Color Gamut due to weak Red and Blue primaries that result from the White LED Backlighting. It's an intentional tradeoff made to increase screen brightness, power efficiency and battery run time. The new iPad corrects these deficiencies and has a much larger Gamut that is an excellent match to the Standard so it can produce accurate colors as long as there is also an accurate Standard White Point and Standard Intensity Scale."

I searched under "iPad mini color gamut."

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_11.html

So it may be the backlight, and that's a bit of a shame, since it's for battery life. I'd rather have the color.

Good research, thank you.

I think you've got a simple choice to make. Personally, with the Mini, I'd rather have the battery life than "perfect gamut". Stand-alone, and before reading the Anandtech review, I couldn't have told you the reds were lacking. It still looks completely awesome to my eyes. But I use the Mini differently than a full-sized iPad. More reading and reference, less all-out productivity.

So the trade off is pretty simple. If you need the fuller gamut/accuracy, add $100, 1.8" of screen size and a 1/4 pound of weight and just get the iPad Air.

If you want the smaller factor with the full battery life in retina (and I think probably most of us do), that's the trade off.  Apparently we can't have both yet.

I expect they'll get it sorted with the next generation though. Maybe. Are you willing to wait? :)

^^^^^^^^^^

This for the win!

I own a iPad Mini right now. I love the heck of the thing. Whoever is trying to hammer this point home about the range of colors fails to note the profile is exactly the same as the prior Mini. On top of that they fail to point out how it is a trade off by failing to note how the current Nexus 7 and most Nexus products are faulted for terrible battery life. The iPad Mini Retina kills the Nexus 7 on benchmarks and then to top it off, Anandtech notes it lasts two hours longer playing videos and well over two hours longer when 3d gaming.

They are called trade-offs for a reason and the iPad Mini with a faster processor and bigger screen still manages to have much better battery life than the smaller and slower tablet. Apple matched the prior gamut while dramatically improving resolution, performance, and efficiency. That is more than good enough in my book.

• Reply 138 of 148
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.

We indeed use cloud solutions a lot: Plastic SCM for asset storage, Dropbox for files etc.

The thing is that I personally work with video a lot. AVCHD and even ProRes and RAW are on SD. Sure, not many people will use that on their iPads but as an acquisition device SD is very very good and the progress in speed, storage size and reliability the past few years is impressive.

The problem with specifically iCloud is the fact it is not so useful for pro users, but great for backing up your phone etc: OS integration is very tight which Dropbox can't do ofcourse. I miss a 'normal' filesystem.
    An SD card could be a useful "floppy drive" for the iPad, but I guess we differ in opinion there ;-)
    Let's hope the SD card will become obsolete by better software, but I think it will be an important data carrier for creatives for the foreseeable time.
    If you have a studio full of Macs and iOS devices, then you need to start thinking out of that slot-based box, and into the cloud, airdrop, collaborative space.

Oh, and I agree with you that calling you names simply for expressing your opinion was uncalled for. No reason for that at all as far as I could see. I mean, other than flogging an old dead horse again :))
  • Reply 139 of 148
    I received mine this week. I can tell the colores don't pop as much as on my old iPad 3 or my new Retina MBP but the size, weight, look and feel make it the best tablet on the market. I've played with the Kindle Fire HDX and it was simply wasn't a contender for a myriad of reasons even if the display is technically superior.

I rarely used my iPad 3 but I suspect I'll be using my iPad Mini a lot more due to its smaller size.
  • Reply 140 of 148
    my friend's ex-wife makes $80 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for six months but last month her pay was $20535 just working on the laptop for a few hours. you can find out more Ring77.Com