Apple supplies developers with first beta of iOS 7.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    ireland wrote: »
    Oh. Yeah I've kind of got used to their hideousness. I think by far the ugliest is the Mail icon. It reminds me of some of the promotional material the O2 carrier was always putting on TV and billboard advertisements. The way of the gradient doesn't work at all. Even a mirror of the gradient on the weather icon would have been preferable, though not ideal.

They're not all hideous. I don't like the green on phone and messages, but it's not offensively bad. They at least look designed by someone with a point of view (drugged up though he may be). Android icons seemed to be designed by a financial firm.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And you're a member of this forum since when?

Obviously, you can't read.  Seriously, Apple doesn't normally jump revs like that unless there's a new product that's going to be announced that uses iOS or there are actual enhancements, but not JUST normal bug fixes.  Normal bug fixes for iOS aren't usually a 7.x update.  When they've done those, there were usually actually enhancements, a new product within the iOS family not just a bug fix.

• Reply 23 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Oh. Yeah I've kind of got used to their hideousness. I think by far the ugliest is the Mail icon. It reminds me of some of the promotional material the O2 carrier was always putting on TV and billboard advertisements. The way of the gradient doesn't work at all. Even a mirror of the gradient on the weather icon would have been preferable, though not ideal.

The gradient by itself is fine, what isn't fine is the inconsistency of the gradients, where some icons have it reversed top/bottom, especially when its the same damn color. Gives the impression of some icons being convex, and others concave, which is a very unsettling, inconsistent effect. While other icons are entirely flat with no gradient.  I would LOVE to hear any rationalization about this from a single designer from Apple, because as I designer myself, I certainly can't think of one, as open-minded as I try to be. I would literally pay money just to make the gradients go the same direction at least, thats how much it bothers me every single time I look at the home screen. 

• Reply 24 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They're not all hideous. I don't like the green on phone and messages, but it's not offensively bad. They at least look designed by someone with a point of view (drugged up though he may be). Android icons seemed to be designed by a financial firm.

I feel just about the same. And your sentiment on those Android icons put words to my feelings on them. I can't believe they still don't have a border. I actually think even Mac icons should have a border, never mind ones you press with a finger.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    drblank wrote: »
    Obviously, you can't read.  Seriously, Apple doesn't normally jump revs like that unless there's a new product that's going to be announced that uses iOS or there are actual enhancements, but not JUST normal bug fixes.  Normal bug fixes for iOS aren't usually a 7.x update.  When they've done those, there were usually actually enhancements, a new product within the iOS family not just a bug fix.

My apologies. You are correct. 7.1 would usually indicate new features.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

I feel just about the same. And your sentiment on those Android icons put words to my feelings on them. I can't believe they still don't have a boarder. I actually think even Mac icons should have a boarder, never mind ones your actually press with a finger.

I'm assuming you mean "border", but I still don't understand what you're referring to. You mean mac/android icons aren't rounded rectangles? I think thats a good thing. Differentiates mac apps from ios apps. 

• Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:

My apologies. You are correct. 7.1 would usually indicate new features.

No worries.  I just thought the article didn't really mention what I would consider an "enhancement" that's all.

Maybe Apple's pushing up the iPhone 6 next quarter and sluffing off the 5C orders to Pegatron?  Just a thought.  Or maybe Apple's going to release the new iTV box next quarter.

I highly doubt Apple will announce any actual new h/w this year as they kind of blew their wad so to speak in product announcement before Christmas.

• Reply 28 of 73
    slurpy wrote: »
    The gradient by itself is fine, what isn't fine is the inconsistency of the gradients, where some icons have it reversed top/bottom, especially when its the same damn color. Gives the impression of some icons being convex, and others concave, which is a very unsettling, inconsistent effect. While other icons are entirely flat with no gradient.  I would LOVE to hear any rationalization about this from a single designer from Apple, because as I designer myself, I certainly can't think of one, as open-minded as I try to be. I would literally pay money just to make the gradients go the same direction at least, thats how much it bothers me every single time I look at the home screen. 

I think the deluded rationalization for the reversed gradient on the Mail and Weather icons are that they are meant to represent the sky. Though that doesn't explain the Podcasts icon (which I think looks good). The Videos icon is unbareably hideous, the contacts icon looks odd and Reminders is very weak.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    No worries.  I just thought the article didn't really mention what I would consider an "enhancement" that's all.

Maybe Apple's pushing up the iPhone 6 next quarter and sluffing off the 5C orders to Pegatron?  Just a thought.  Or maybe Apple's going to release the new iTV box next quarter.

I highly doubt Apple will announce any actual new h/w this year as they kind of blew their wad so to speak in product announcement before Christmas.

It'll probably be April before we hear a peep from Cupertino.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm assuming you mean "border", but I still don't understand what you're referring to. You mean mac/android icons aren't rounded rectangles? I think thats a good thing. Differentiates mac apps from ios apps. 

Yes, typo. I didn't mean they have to be exactly the same as iOS. Perhaps they could have a translucent border if sorts. Done right of course. It's just app icons like iMovie on the Mac bother me from a usability standpoint. You'd see older people trying to make sure they click on an actually point of the star, unaware there is an invisible area around to the whole icon that is clickable. It's just a nitpick, but I think there has to be a better solution for Mac icons.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Quote:

Not a screenshot of a con man, a screenshot of the new icons.

Keep your grasp of bs to yourself.

• Reply 32 of 73

Change you can believe in.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    That wasn't BS but all the anal retentive hyperbole over icons certainly is.
  • Reply 34 of 73

I thought it was funny. Lighten up. Dear Leader is too busy applying his incompetences to health care to worry about forum jokes at his expense.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    rogifan wrote: »
    That wasn't BS but all the anal retentive hyperbole over icons certainly is.

Perfectionist.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:

It'll probably be April before we hear a peep from Cupertino.

This year was different in that Apple pushed back a lot of announcement until the last half. But they didn't release any MacMini or iTV or even iPod refreshes. Personally, we will probably hear of a iTV announcement and it might be as soon as March since Apple traditionally announces new products during the last month of the quarter, but Apple has been weird about product announcements recently which throws some of us off a little.

I personally think the larger screen iPhone 6 or whatever they are going to call it, is probably a June release.  I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did announce new monitors soon, but that won't be a major product announcement, but they kind of need to sell a 4K monitor for the MacPros, and I think they are due to replace the Thunderbolt monitor, which is supposedly running real low in terms of inventories amongst the resellers.  I think the iPods are probably pretty much done in terms of anything major.  They might change colors and storage, but there really isn't much to do in that arena, except a nice 24 bit DAC to go up against the Astell & Kern AK100 player which would require more storage if it's going to support 24 bit.

• Reply 37 of 73
    This year was different in that Apple pushed back a lot of announcement until the last half. But they didn't release any MacMini or iTV or even iPod refreshes. Personally, we will probably hear of a iTV announcement and it might be as soon as March since Apple traditionally announces new products during the last month of the quarter, but Apple has been weird about product announcements recently which throws some of us off a little.

I personally think the larger screen iPhone 6 or whatever they are going to call it, is probably a June release.  I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did announce new monitors soon, but that won't be a major product announcement, but they kind of need to sell a 4K monitor for the MacPros, and I think they are due to replace the Thunderbolt monitor, which is supposedly running real low in terms of inventories amongst the resellers.  I think the iPods are probably pretty much done in terms of anything major.  They might change colors and storage, but there really isn't much to do in that arena, except a nice 24 bit DAC to go up against the Astell & Kern AK100 player which would require more storage if it's going to support 24 bit.

That's an awful lot of speculation for a thread about iOS 7.1. Implausible speculation at that.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Fields View Post

That's an awful lot of speculation for a thread about iOS 7.1. Implausible speculation at that.

I'm just spiffballing.

• Reply 39 of 73
    I'm just spiffballing.

I do wonder what Apple is going to get up on stage to announce next. Tim Cook made it known that there will be new products "throughout 2014". Presumably this means a keynote before WWDC, likely in the time frame you suggested, March-April. The question is what. I'd love it if Apple has an Apple TV announcement worthy of its own keynote, but I doubt it. My money is on an iPad Pro. Larger screen, higher resolution and DPI than iPad Air, maybe some pro suites for iOS. Maybe during the same keynote they announce a new Apple TV.

Going really off track, I hope Apple releases an actual television. I don't care about business models or upgrade cycles or preserving margins... At this point I don't even care about a revolutionary way to bundle tv programming. I don't even care about Steve Jobs "simplest UI you can imagine" crap anymore. I just want to be able to switch between applicances connected to my tv without it taking 12 seconds between switches. Telvevison hardware and software is in a hideous ghetto at a time when TV content is in perhaps a golden age. Awful.
  • Reply 40 of 73

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

To clarify, is it his grasp that is ‘bs’ or is it the policies of the president? Because your sentence reads the latter. :p

Originally Posted by Andrew Fields View Post

I just want to be able to switch between applicances connected to my tv without it taking 12 seconds between switches.

The idea behind the non-hobby Apple TV box is that you won’t be doing any switching. Because you won’t need to.