Apple supplies developers with first beta of iOS 7.1

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    3 things I would like to see fixed in next iOS 7 update:

Replace the drop-down list roulette nonsense with drop-down list, like it used to be

Bring back big red and green OK, Cancel and all... buttons, I'm sick of looking for where is this light narrow blue word I should press to go on or cancel

Bring back the Airplay icon in Music, Photos and Videos, putting it in Control center was the most stupid move in iOS history
  • Reply 62 of 73
    philboogie wrote: »
    I thought this was only on the 5s, maybe the 5c as well. But not on the 5 AFAIK.

It happens on my 5 and my wife's iPad 3. It's an OS issue.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    kgscott86 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    I thought this was only on the 5s, maybe the 5c as well. But not on the 5 AFAIK.

It happens on my 5 and my wife's iPad 3. It's an OS issue.

Sorry to hear that, but good to know. Thanks
  • Reply 64 of 73
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brabauer View Post

Yes there is. Here is the complete list.

Thx for letting me know the iPhone4 is included in 7.1 supported  iDevices.

I was about to upgrade it to iOS7, now I'll wait a bit longer.

• Reply 65 of 73
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I hope iOS 7.1 incorporates a fix for the 5S multi-sensor calibration issues. 

it was corrected in 7.0.4

• Reply 66 of 73
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My apologies. You are correct. 7.1 would usually indicate new features.

6.1 didn't have much:

• LTE support for more carriers

• Purchase movie tickets through Fandango with Siri (USA only)

• iTunes Match subscribers can now download individual songs from iCloud

• New button to reset the Advertising Identifier

• Reply 67 of 73
    ireland wrote: »
    My favourite user on Apple Insider of all time is Spam Sandwich. You've just moved into 2nd place.

Lol thanks. Does this Tallest Skil guy annoy people this often? I remember him a few months ago ranting about how "we can't know" if the 5S will have a fingerprint sensor. It takes a special kind of guy to be totally lost on the irony of being self-righteous about speculation.... On a rumor site. But, anyway, to return to topic, some thoughts on 7.1:

1. It's pretty stable in my few hours of use on iPhone 5 and iPad Air.

2. The sped up animations are welcome but;

3. Icon fly-in still slow and you can't interrupt folder animations midway. This combined with the sped up animations makes it even MORE irritating.

4. When an aesthetic contrivance is preventing you from using the device at the speed and fluidity you want, it;

A. Makes the software feel unfinished.
    B. Diminishes a certain level of ingratiation the device has with you.
    C. Confounds Apple's own UI guidelines!

5. iBooks is a gorgeous piece of software design, and, though similar, infinitely superior to the Kindle app. Loving the animation that transitions you between your library and the bookstore. It's lovely, and completely functional.

6. Black keyboard is beautiful, but out of place in most apps. Wish there was a black theme, that turns the standard white backgrounds black. It still wouldn't look quite right, but the system wide use of white just doesn't look quite right on my black iPhone either.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Fields View Post

Lol thanks. Does this Tallest Skil guy annoy people this often? I remember him a few months ago ranting about how "we can't know" if the 5S will have a fingerprint sensor. It takes a special kind of guy to be totally lost on the irony of being self-righteous about speculation.... On a rumor site. But, anyway, to return to topic, some thoughts on 7.1:

1. It's pretty stable in my few hours of use on iPhone 5 and iPad Air.

2. The sped up animations are welcome but;

3. Icon fly-in still slow and you can't interrupt folder animations midway. This combined with the sped up animations makes it even MORE irritating.

4. When an aesthetic contrivance is preventing you from using the device at the speed and fluidity you want, it;

A. Makes the software feel unfinished.

B. Diminishes a certain level of ingratiation the device has with you.

C. Confounds Apple's own UI guidelines!

5. iBooks is a gorgeous piece of software design, and, though similar, infinitely superior to the Kindle app. Loving the animation that transitions you between your library and the bookstore. It's lovely, and completely functional.

6. Black keyboard is beautiful, but out of place in most apps. Wish there was a black theme, that turns the standard white backgrounds black. It still wouldn't look quite right, but the system wide use of white just doesn't look quite right on my black iPhone either.

How does it diminish a certain level of integration the device has with you?

How does Apple confound it's own UI guidelines?

No OS is finished,it's always an ongoing changing process.

• Reply 69 of 73
    drblank wrote: »
    How does it diminish a certain level of integration the device has with you?

How does Apple confound it's own UI guidelines?

No OS is finished,it's always an ongoing changing process.

Ingratiation, not integration. Have you read the iOS 7 design guidelines? I'm not trying to be contentious or anything, but assume a certain level of understanding if you're gonna bother to reply.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Quote:

Ingratiation, not integration. Have you read the iOS 7 design guidelines? I'm not trying to be contentious or anything, but assume a certain level of understanding if you're gonna bother to reply.

It's early in the morning, I just woke up.

No, I'm not a app developer so I have no need to read the design guidelines, but if you are going to make a statement, then please explain HOW it   confound's it's own UI guidelines.   I don't have this new beta in my hands, so I have to go by what people that do have in their hands are talking about.

• Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But how will they fix the bugs brought on by the new features if they don’t include them in the betas?

I don't think everyone really knows what a beta release really is and how s/w and OS's are developed/improved/changed over time.

• Reply 72 of 73
    drblank wrote: »
    It's early in the morning, I just woke up.

No, I'm not a app developer so I have no need to read the design guidelines, but if you are going to make a statement, then please explain HOW it   confound's it's own UI guidelines.   I don't have this new beta in my hands, so I have to go by what people that do have in their hands are talking about.

Well, I could. But I'm too lazy.

Also: went back to using iPad 3, which doesn't have 7.1 beta.... Stunning difference. Couple more thoughts:

1. The speed increase improves regular use so much that I actually want to spit at my iPad 3. I was basically accustomed to iOS 7 until this upgrade. 7.1 negates 7.0.4.

2. With the speed increases, I can actually feel the CPU differences between iPad Air and iPhone 5, this despite the fact that iOS 7 is much more polished on iPhone.

3. I hope this gets released to the public soon. This is an update an average person can appreciate.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:

Well, I could. But I'm too lazy.

Also: went back to using iPad 3, which doesn't have 7.1 beta.... Stunning difference. Couple more thoughts:

1. The speed increase improves regular use so much that I actually want to spit at my iPad 3. I was basically accustomed to iOS 7 until this upgrade. 7.1 negates 7.0.4.

2. With the speed increases, I can actually feel the CPU differences between iPad Air and iPhone 5, this despite the fact that iOS 7 is much more polished on iPhone.

3. I hope this gets released to the public soon. This is an update an average person can appreciate.

too lazy?  Oh, OK.

Are you a developer?