LG's Smart TV watches you: spyware ads report your behavior in creepy detail

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Here is my issue on this whole thing

Since when do we have to agree to T&C on a product like a TV just to buy and use it.
    More importantly, know the Terms & Conditions of any service.

What happens if you Decline the T&C? Does the "smart" TV become a dumb TV? Can you use it as a TV at all? Do you get to return it for a full refund?
  • Reply 42 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I just bought an LG 3DTV and it's being delivered on Friday. :|

Just keep it. Buy and support any company but f**ng samdung.

Speaking of which, next time, forget about SmartTV. Just get a DumbTV and attach a AppleTV to it. That combination makes your environment called EinsteinTV. ;)

• Reply 43 of 76
    Crap! I hope my LG washer and dryer aren't reporting back what clothes I'm washing and how often I wash them. Those aren't my bra and panties, I'm just washing them for a friend...really, I swear!
  • Reply 44 of 76
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Best way to stop it?  Just don't buy/use anything that's "smart".  Unless you're smarter to hack the devices.

• Reply 45 of 76
    While I can see their desire for recurring revenue putting ads in "appliances" shouldn't be tolerated. My Panasonic ZT65 also showed ads each time you turned it on until I read how to turn that stuff off.

If you want to sell me stuff you better have continuous added value I use. I don't see that in any of my appliances at this time.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Originally Posted by gilroykilroy View Post

While I can see their desire for recurring revenue putting ads in "appliances" shouldn't be tolerated. My Panasonic ZT65 also showed ads each time you turned it on until I read how to turn that stuff off.

If you want to sell me stuff you better have continuous added value I use. I don't see that in any of my appliances at this time.

Imagine a microwave that has an LCD in place of the radiation grate in front. It senses what you’ve put in it and throws up ads or coupons for whatever that is.

No one wants that nonsense.

• Reply 47 of 76
    LG makes very nice flat screen TVs. I purchased one of their "dumb" models and it was a good deal. Without the 3D and "Smart" internet "features", it is totally secure.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Does turning off location services for Apple TV stop the tracking but still allow you to watch the channels such as PBS? That begs the question as to why there's location services, and why the default is ON, in the first place. My guess it's for user tracking with regard to advertising but not entirely certain.

Nice FUD. But I prefer FACTS. Paragraph 4 (b) and (c) states and I quote:

(b) Location Data. Apple and its partners and licensees may provide certain services through your Apple TV that rely upon location information. To provide and improve these services,
    where available, Apple and its partners and licensees may transmit, collect, maintain, process and use your location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple TV, and location search queries. The location data and queries collected by Apple are collected in a form that does not personally identify you and may be used by Apple and
    its partners and licensees to provide and improve location- based products and services. By using any location-based services on your Apple TV, you agree and consent to Apple’s and its partners’ and licensees’ transmission, collection, maintenance, processing and use of your location data and queries to provide and improve such products and services. You may withdraw this consent at any time by disabling
    the location-based features in the Apple TV. Not using these location features will not impact the non location-based functionality of your Apple TV.
    When using third party applications or services on the Apple TV that use or provide location data, you are subject to and should review such third party’s terms and privacy policy on use of location data by such third party applications or services.
    (c) At all times your information will be treated in accordance with Apple’s Privacy Policy, which is incorporated by reference into this License and can be viewed at: www.apple.com/legal/privacy/.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Nice FUD. But I prefer FACTS. Paragraph 4 (b) and (c) states and I quote:

Yup I had already read it in it's entirety which is why I asked the question "What purpose does location services on an Apple TV serve"? It's not moving from place to place. What's the downside to disabling location on an Apple TV? Does it disable certain stations (example PBS) if it''s turned off? Does it affect ads at all and what is a "location search query"? Would searching thru channels be one example?

I agree facts would be great in assisting users with deciding whether to enable/disable the feature. I'm guessing from your reply that you may know the answers.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Gaming this system in order to skew results has probably already begun. It should be a simple matter to send contrived data to LG so that its reports show a given product, politician or idea is wildly popular when, in fact, it is not.

since the stream is unencrypted I'm guessing that spoofing this would be easy and fun!

you could present the Nielsen ratings from 1963 as being from 2013.

can't imagine paying advertisers are going to be happy when they realize how slipshod and bogus the Lucky Gold Star Ad Network really is.

Hope they didn't pay too much for those ads...
  • Reply 51 of 76
    I believe the UK and Australian governments recently advised all depts to refrain from using any Huawei equipment as it is alleged to send all user behaviour data to servers in China. They make Routers, Youview TV boxes and parts of the exchange equipment used by telecoms companies. Together with the NSA, GCHQ and the like of LG, Google, MS and Apple these commercial and governmental bodies are watching our every move mm by mm bit by bit. Scary, really scary Mr. Orwell.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Yup I had already read it in it's entirety which is why I asked the question "What purpose does location services on an Apple TV serve"? It's not moving from place to place. What's the downside to disabling location on an Apple TV? Does it disable certain stations (example PBS) if it''s turned off? Does it affect ads at all and what is a "location search query"? Would searching thru channels be one example?

I agree facts would be great in assisting users with deciding whether to enable/disable the feature. I'm guessing from your reply that you may know the answers.

1. Use of location services are not mandatory for viewing content.
    2. Each "app" asks you to opt-in the first time it tries to access the OS location APIs. It remembers your answer.
    3. If you decline to enable location services for an app, the app will not prevent you from viewing content.
    4. The exact functionality change depends on each app, for example, the Netflix app does not show "popular titles in (your area)". Or the Movie Trailers app will omit show times for a currently playing movie in your area, but you can still watch the movie trailers. I don't know about the PBS app because I haven't tried it, but none of the other apps on AppleTV turn off content based on location.
    5. "Location search query" refers to any query you make for a location. For example, in the Movie Trailers app, you can find show times for movies by postal code, or to simply use your current location.
    6. I don't know if it affects ads because I've never seen ads in any of the AppleTV apps. Not even the YouTube app. Technically, movie trailers are ads, but within the context of the movie trailers app, they are content.
    7. You can disable location tracking globally in the settings app.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    1. Use of location services...

Thanks for the detailed answer! No doubt a few here will find it useful.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    I don't want any of fucking web advertisements on any of fucking TVs!! This is for the fucking PC or web browsers!!
  • Reply 55 of 76

I'm so done feeding the "Ad Animal". I cancelled Hulu+ immediately after signing up for it (not realizing at the time that subscribing only "unlocks more content", it doesn't remove the ads). Netflix is winning, and that's a big reason why. Same price for subscription, and it's ad-free.

If I unboxed a new TV and the first thing I saw on the "home screen" was banner ads I couldn't do away with (short of sandboxing the TV from the internet), I'd be taking it straight back to the store. No way. Seriously.

Top that off with a data-pull "feature" that can't actually be turned off? They can't be serious! Yeah. I'd be considering "lawsuit" if MY kid's names were being sent in the clear after I told the TV "don't send data".

And LG's attitude in response (using that weird, generic corporate-speak) is the worst example of passing the buck I've seen in a good while. No, they really need to be taken to task on this one. Them, Samsung, and Google all need a little smack down, IMO.

Best way for that to happen is for everyone to just stop buying their products, or using their services, until they straighten up.

They're not that hard to live without either, once you just do it.

• Reply 56 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    This is why TVs should be as stupid as possible. Let the little box connected to them manage everything. At least you can trust it.

I totally agree.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Does turning off location services for Apple TV stop the tracking but still allow you to watch the channels such as PBS? That begs the question as to why there's location services, and why the default is ON, in the first place. My guess it's for user tracking with regard to advertising but not entirely certain.

Turning off location services could render a channel like Aereo useless. Aereo has to make sure that it's clients are within the broadcast networks' footprint before it'll allow viewing of it's service.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post

Worse for LG, if the stolen datas are moved out of EU, they could face a complete ban of operations in EU.

Heh heh. I see what you're saying here, but recent events -- e.g., Merkel being tracked -- would seem to suggest that the EU is just a lot of hot air, and completely toothless, on this issue, no?

Or perhaps, they can bully S. Korea to compliance more than they can the US.

• Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Turning off location services could render a channel like Aereo useless. Aereo has to make sure that it's clients are within the broadcast networks' footprint before it'll allow viewing of it's service.

Actually, in that case they can probably get enough detail for a 'general vicinity' from the IP address you're connected from. For that kind of restricted licensing, the IP is usually enough to identify the ok/not ok boundaries.

IP location is typically accurate enough for that, but not typically accurate enough to even know what street you're on, much less your actual physical location.

• Reply 60 of 76
    Actually, in that case they can probably get enough detail for a 'general vicinity' from the IP address you're connected from. For that kind of restricted licensing, the IP is usually enough to identify the ok/not ok boundaries.

IP location is typically accurate enough for that, but not typically accurate enough to even know what street you're on, much less your actual physical location.

While you're correct an IP address can be spoofed.