Product (RED) Mac Pro auction brings in $977,000; gold EarPods sold for $461,000

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94

Winter does not official start until the Winter Solstice on December 21st and goes until the Vernal Equinox on about March 19th. So you're incorrect. They have until December 21st.

• Reply 42 of 94
    jeez I am not communicating well today!

Erhm, sir, it's Sunday here as well. I had a long ride on my road bike and beat myself up with running afterwards so my head is quite empty at the moment. Besides, both your native languages are native to you...and I'm Dutch :p

Ah, ok, a swap. Could be. Or you are simply waaaaaayyyy too eager to order it? That would be an option as well, simply something flying through my mind :D

OT. I see that Winter time has come up again. Not to put down on you jkichline, but why don't you read the thread before posting? Please understand that I'm not wanting to pick on you, I just don't understand that -in general- people don't read through the whole thing to see if something hadn't been addressed yet. Just a question, please don't take offence.
  • Reply 43 of 94
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder if the buyer of the Mac Pro can actually take delivery yet?

The funds from the winning bidder likely need to be transferred to an escrow account before he/she can take possession of the lot.

Note that the auction house gets a percentage, they certainly will not give up the lot without getting paid. There also might be some IRS paperwork to submit.

Moreover, the winning bidder may have not been physically present. Many auction bidders phone in their bids for anonymity, even if they have the means to attend the auction in person.

This is not a consumer grade auction like eBay or some local yokel auction. You don't use PayPal or a credit card for these types of transactions.

• Reply 44 of 94
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    solipsismx wrote:
    In a very unlikely guess I wonder if it could be a new Apple 4K display to be launched alongside the Mac Pro as a way of boosting free marketing in December once it's announced.

There are panels available but the current retail prices are high ($3300):

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PQ321Q-31-5-Inch-4K-Monitor/dp/B00DJ4BIKA

Apple can always make two models e.g 27" 1440p for $999 with a slim iMac-like design, TB2, USB 3 etc and a more expensive 32" 4K/2160p. It would be amazing if they could make the Cinema display 4K for $999 but it may not be possible just yet.
    rogifan wrote: »
    Probably took longer than this piece of "art" which recently sold for over $300K.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/nov-2013-contemporary-evening-n09037/lot.1.html

Wow, that's a low point. I can't blame the people making it as much as the people willing to pay for that. It's sad to see so much reward given to people who contribute so little when there are artists who give so much more and don't get much in return. I know that artwork can be both minimal and very compelling but that guy just scribbles obscene graffiti onto plywood.
    adefowler wrote:
    Now imagine the buyers’ remorse if Apple released the Mac pro in red!

I keep thinking they might do a shiny silver chrome one. At the end of the Mac Pro manufacturing video around 1:47, it just doesn't look very black (space grey maybe?):

[VIDEO]

The lighting will change it but it still looks like a different color from before.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Pshh. Is that all? The 30” Cinema Display launched at $3,299, remember. 

Piece of cake.

• Reply 46 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But are they really losing sales because it's available in Dec and not Oct/Nov?

No. On this type of computer I don't think they will be loosing all that many sales.  The Mac Pro is for a select group of Pro customers and maybe some Prosumers, these types of customers really don't care what season it is to base there buying decisions on.  They are in it for the horsepower pure and simple.  If it will help there production load to move faster, (i.e.  video encoding, sound encoding and 3d rendering and manipulation) they will buy it when it becomes available because time is money.

• Reply 47 of 94
    "I hope that Product Red Mac Pro was the top end model at least!"

Do you think anyone will actually use it?
  • Reply 48 of 94
    Quote:

My question wasn't about his or her motives, rather about whether the Mac Pro even really exists yet as a sellable product. That could be a red case over a prototype. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Apple had multiple prototypes running in there full glory clear back at the macworld in june.  So I think that Apple has many of these done and in boxes.  There most likely waiting for production to build up inventory for the launch, and to get the new assembly line on line here in the US in Texas.  The  Processors Xeon E5-1620 v2 4 core, Xeon E5-1650 v2 6 core, Xeon E5-1680 v2 8 core, and the Xeon E5-2697 v2 12 core have been available for quite some time (6 months).  The AMD FirePro™ W7000 which the D300's are based off of, and the AMD FirePro™ W9000

which the D500's and D 700's are based off of have been available as well for at least 8 months.  Apple would not have shown off the Mac Pro at the WWDC if it was not done hardware wise.  If anything was holding up its release it would be as I said above for Manufacturing ramp up, stocking up for hardware releases, and software (i.e. OSX Mavericks)

• Reply 49 of 94
    My little iPhone 4S burned up thanks to IOS 7 and Apple's Design Team is running around making these things. Get Ive and Newson to build a fix for IOS 7 first. Pesky day-to-day customers must not be Apple priorities.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    Originally Posted by TheRocket2000 View Post

My little iPhone 4S burned up thanks to IOS 7

Sure it did.

…Apples Design Team is running around making these things.

Jonathan Ive ? Apple’s design team.

…Newson…

Doesn’t work for Apple.

…to build a fix for IOS 7 first.

What do you claim is broken?

Pesky day-to-day customers must not be Apple priorities.  

Enjoy your FUD.

• Reply 51 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PQ321Q-31-5-Inch-4K-Monitor/dp/B00DJ4BIKA

Apple can always make two models e.g 27" 1440p for $999 with a slim iMac-like design, TB2, USB 3 etc and a more expensive 32" 4K/2160p. It would be amazing if they could make the Cinema display 4K for $999 but it may not be possible just yet.

I wouldn't think they would come in under $2999 as a starting point for a quality 4K display.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I've always suspected there will be a new monitor with launch of Mac Pro.

Seasons Greeting, nice to see you back. :)

As expensive as it might be and despite Apple's long history of letting their displays languish at high prices much longer than what seems reasonable (to me) it seems odd they would mention 4K support so often for the Mac Pro and then not have a solution, even if they have go over $3k for it to happen.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
  • Reply 53 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What do you claim is broken?

Some extra reading for you:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23892149?ac_cid=tw123456#23892149

• Reply 54 of 94

Some extra reading for you:

How about something other than a completely untrustworthy source?

Why don’t you just sign the petition, then? 10 down, only 99,990 to go! I’m sure you’ll be listened to!

• Reply 55 of 94
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,159member
    Quote:

My little iPhone 4S burned up thanks to IOS 7 and Apple's Design Team is running around making these things. Get Ive and Newson to build a fix for IOS 7 first. Pesky day-to-day customers must not be Apple priorities.

Odd, my iPhone 4S upgraded to iOS 7 without any major issues.

Probably something wrong with you (or your handset).

Note: millions of iPhone 4S users have probably upgraded to iOS 7 by now with no issues. Perhaps the iOS 7 team deliberately targeted your phone for destruction. Perhaps it was based on your attitude. No one knows for sure and it is unlikely that Apple will explain why only your device "burned up" (sic).

Just to let you know...

• Reply 56 of 94
    jkichline wrote: »
    Winter does not official start until the Winter Solstice on December 21st and goes until the Vernal Equinox on about March 19th. So you're incorrect. They have until December 21st.

I don't care what the calendar says, this was my driveway this morning.

• Reply 57 of 94
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

I don't care what the calendar says, this was my driveway this morning.

I envy you.

• Reply 58 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    mechanic wrote: »
    Apple had multiple prototypes running in there full glory clear back at the macworld in june.  So I think that Apple has many of these done and in boxes.  There most likely waiting for production to build up inventory for the launch, and to get the new assembly line on line here in the US in Texas.  The  Processors Xeon E5-1620 v2 4 core, Xeon E5-1650 v2 6 core, Xeon E5-1680 v2 8 core, and the Xeon E5-2697 v2 12 core have been available for quite some time (6 months).  The AMD FirePro™ W7000 which the D300's are based off of, and the AMD FirePro™ W9000
    which the D500's and D 700's are based off of have been available as well for at least 8 months.  Apple would not have shown off the Mac Pro at the WWDC if it was not done hardware wise.  If anything was holding up its release it would be as I said above for Manufacturing ramp up, stocking up for hardware releases, and software (i.e. OSX Mavericks)

Good to know, my Amex is standing by... :smokey::smokey:
  • Reply 59 of 94
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    As expensive as it might be and despite Apple's long history of letting their displays languish at high prices much longer than what seems reasonable (to me) it seems odd they would mention 4K support so often for the Mac Pro and then not have a solution, even if they have go over $3k for it to happen.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Truly great to have your insight back.

Mac Pros will sell 4k monitors, I am certain too, Apple will have them ready. I cannot imagine a Mac Pro ad with anything but an Apple monitor, price be damned.
  • Reply 60 of 94

I cannot imagine a Mac Pro ad with anything but an Apple monitor…

I can’t imagine a Mac Pro ad… At least, not anything but a print one in pro magazines.