Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbi View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

For the RT devices I suspect that the Flash "advantage" depends on your point of view, since many believe that Flash usage will continue to decline. And, with respect to your example, I really can't see how the ability to view Amazon streaming video on a browser rather than in a free and functional app is an advantage at all. Office might be a better example of a potential advantage, at least until it is available on iOS.

Flash will decline eventually - but, so far I haven't actually seen any evidence of it...  And, at least as long as it is still prevalent, I in fact do see it as an advantage over the iPad and even Android in the short term.  One example where this is true would be Hulu Plus.  There is an official Hulu Plus application in the windows store - but, like all of the app versions of Hulu it comes with some content restrictions.  There is content that is not available on mobile devices.  Yet, on the Surface RT you can just use the browser if the app restricts you from viewing said content.

As for the specific example given earlier - I wasn't saying it was an advantage over the iPad - I was pointing out that by having the flash functionality and full desktop browser makes the app gap actually not nearly as noticeable.   Spotify, Pandora, etc - all accessible through the browser - as are the full facebook experience including those stupid flash based games that the kids like so well :)

Anyway, have a great day.

I think that Flash is clearly declining, at least in that it is no longer the default platform for content delivery, but your point stands - yes it still exists and there are times when one might benefit from using a device that supports it.

• Reply 82 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Erm what about the Mac vs PC ad's? Apple kinda started all of this.

5 years is pushing the boundaries of being patient, at this point it's more like Apple care more about making huge sums of money rather than giving millions of parents using there product a simple but really useful feature.

Touch ID while sounding cool, would also be useless for this scenario. A 1 year old doesn't have proper finger prints. If it brings user profiles with it then great, but to me it's less about adding whizzy features and more about fixing an issue with an otherwise excellent toy for a child.

Oh, what do I hear? Yes, yes, it's the sound of someone getting straigth into the Hall of Troll Fame!

• Reply 83 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Last year it was a Microsoft Surface RT $900,000,000 product write off. I guess this year it will be a $900,000,000 Advertising write off. Really, MS?!

Can't they just gimme a bit of it?

• Reply 84 of 115
    Get some sleep, bro! :)

You obviously have no idea how irritating it is to continually read bad spelling & grammar (often the same elementary mistake, as in this case) in the space of just a few posts.

I've often said to my partner, only half jokingly, that in another 10 years time all proof readers will be out of a job because the standard of English will be so low that most people will neither know nor care if the spelling or grammar is correct.

I can only assume you're one of them. And that's you're with an apostrophe, not your ...
  • Reply 85 of 115
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Maybe this has been noted above- no time to search - but today The Telegraph (kind of ironically named) says "Microsoft appears set to abandon WindowsRT".

It's just connecting some well-known dots that are coming from the mouths of MS execs, but together with the web surveys showing the current micro-share of Surface tabs, it rings true.

Still, MS would never flog a product it is about to dump, right? ( /snark)

• Reply 86 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

You obviously have no idea how irritating it is to continually read bad spelling & grammar (often the same elementary mistake, as in this case) in the space of just a few posts.

I've often said to my partner, only half jokingly, that in another 10 years time all proof readers will be out of a job because the standard of English will be so low that most people will neither know nor care if the spelling or grammar is correct.

I can only assume you're one of them. And that's you're with an apostrophe, not your ...

While I agree with you on the importance of proper spelling and grammar (but I'm French, that makes it standard behavior), this is a bit harsh...

Do also take into consideration that Internet gives access to instant written commenting to people who otherwise would have spent their afternoons talking in bars, over a game of ball, in a park, or any other place where you use spoken English, instead of written English: it's probably not a general "free fall" of English, but merely an increasing amount of written English.

Maybe people's english is actually better, on average, than 40 years ago. Have you polled an extensive population over four decades's span?

The worst is never certain :D

• Reply 87 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

How do you feel about run-on sentences? :) Just kidding.

I feel your pain! I'm from England living here in America, you know? Kinda, you know, you know? :)

• Reply 88 of 115
    Maybe people's english is actually better, on average, than 40 years ago. Have you polled an extensive population over four decades's span?

No, no surveys here. Just a gut feeling from reading articles over 40 years or so. It seems increasingly common even by people whose job it is to know better. I saw a man at Brighton station painting the signage on a new drinks kiosk which read "Tea's and Coffees" but two days later the apostrophe had been painted over. The pub in my road recently had a complete makeover with brand new sign boards outside reading "Familys welcome" in large white letters. A year later it's still there ...

These are not people coming home after a night in the pub :D
  • Reply 89 of 115
    Wow, so incredibly non-compelling. Most people don't buy stuff based on feature comparisons, they buy on emotion. Apple's ads tell you, their products are cool, easy to use, fun, and creative. These ads tout features that are of limited appeal.
  • Reply 90 of 115

I’m going to advocate that ‘your’ (possessive) should now be spelled “yer”, to differentiate it from “you’re/your”, so that both of those can now be used in place of “you are”.

English is after all, a living, ever-evolving language, so we have to make room for change along the way. I blame poor education for most of the illiteracy on display. I’m half joking about the spellings, but the point is real.

That said, English isn’t all that active compared to other ‘living languages’. I lived 12 years in Japan, and let me tell you, we don’t have half the issues they do. In one example, slang evolves so fast there that sometimes university aged people can’t understand half of what high schoolers are saying. They also have a way of “importing” words from other languages, modifying them, and adding them to the everyday lexicon. Those become mainstream exceedingly easily, and so half a generation later, half the people don’t even know they aren’t “native” words.

“Pasu-con” (Personal Computer), “Ho-why-toe Sha-tsu” ('White Shirts' aka the button-up dress shirt), just two examples that, when I explained those originated in English, shocked my younger Japanese audience.

I’ll take the your/you’re problem any day. At least we can ‘grok’ the intent via usage context…. mostly…. the ambiguity of Japanese presented challenges we don’t have to deal with at all.

Still, I understand and mostly agree with your sentiments… even if I make those same mistakes from time to time.
  • Reply 91 of 115
    I am one of few who own a surface pro device, I took it to a business trip recently, to only have the constant need to charge the power. This is shit, the keyboard is shit, you can not type properly for meeting notes. It's not even good enough for business use.

The Video port trying to connect to a VGA or HDMI is sometimes dual screen, sometimes a mirror screen, what a bugged ridden OS.
    Even the Windows 8.1 update failed unless you did a firmware update first, what kind of update is this after the 2hour download. Totally bollocks why didn't it say in first place, it's Dam Microsoft own product.

I shall now move to using Keynotes as it can import my PPT slides, and also handles video much better, anyone tried to add a video into a PPT it's a joke, such a joke in fact.

I so regret not taking my iPad and won't do the same mistake again.

As for Surface - iPad it's simple, assume you need to cook something longer than 30minutes then at least ipad will have plenty of battery power. your surface would need to fight all other kitchen appliances for a power socket.

as for a stand, for a few $ you can buy for iPad, Suface needs one because on your lap it's impossible to use, hand hold in hand it is too heavy, more than like 5minutes.
    Multi profile, complete shit, no child would want use surface it's not cool, and by cool.
    Now I know why Microsoft say surface, you can cook eggs on the surface display, it's it gets toasty quickly.

someone wants his one year old to play with ipad, go buy them ipad2 low cost they can play all day, get them a lovley protector cover colourful, and engaging, forget the profile rubbish don't be cheap education let them learn and explore, it's not android crud it's a friendly OS.
  • Reply 92 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

As for Windows RT, since it runs on ARM based processors, traditional x86 binaries will not work so, it is limited to the out of the box software as well as what is available in the Windows Store.  Currently, that's something like 130,000 apps and growing.  There is no question that there are less apps available for a Surface RT/2 device - the iPad and Android ecosystems have had a couple more years to grow their offerings.

WinMo was around for years before iOS and Android came on the scene, that excuse doesn't wash.

• Reply 93 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

First, iPad's only came out three and a half years ago, although I agree that Apple would be well suited to offer user profiles so I could quickly switch to one of my child's apps.  I don't have a problem with them accessing my email and never had an issue there, but it's mostly the problem of "child is screaming at a restaurant, hurry get them the iPad/iPhone... oh where are all his apps... argh!!!". So we use folders now...

I think TouchID is the perfect use case for this.  You see, picking the child's apps quickly is the important part. If I need to sign in with a passcode, then switch a folder, then give the kid the iPad... well, that's a bit of a pain.  But if the child can just turn it on and play. Magic!

I don't think it's a case of Apple wanting to sell millions of devices, because people will just buy a bigger iPad and use profiles and Apple makes more profit on higher spec'd iPads. The issue is simply "you can't share an iPad".  Do you have kids? OK, get them to share an iPad... I don't care what kind of quick profile switching you have... it's going to be a screaming fest.  The best case scenario are games they can play together.  Also, I like the ability as a parent to not allow the child to have immediate access to the iPad without asking permission.  I think these are things Apple are considering when coming up with their proper solution.

I sometimes am fearful for the future of our society. I have managed to raise four kids who all behave very well in restaurants and have never given them my iPhone or iPad in a restaurant. Its called parenting. I do allow my kids to use these devices at appropriate times, but the dinner table, whether at a restaurant or at home, is not the appropriate time or place for tablet/phone useage.

Yeah, it's not like the good old days, when people were more social and would interact:-

;)

• Reply 94 of 115

"Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit”
    post #853 on AI @ 10/14/13 2013 Mac mini wish list
  • Reply 95 of 115
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

WinMo was around for years before iOS and Android came on the scene, that excuse doesn't wash.

WinMo is not the same as Windows Phone now.  They are completely different OS's with a completely different development model.

• Reply 96 of 115
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I just noticed that your reply is made even more curious by the fact that we were discussing Window RT - which is even further removed from WinMo than even Windows Phone 7.   Completely different kernel, completely different user space, completely different programming API.

• Reply 97 of 115
    Quote:

I just noticed that your reply is made even more curious by the fact that we were discussing Window RT - which is even further removed from WinMo than even Windows Phone 7.   Completely different kernel, completely different user space, completely different programming API.

Still it was Microsoft's product in the mobile marketplace and they had every opportunity to carry the "ecosystem" (such as it was) over with every iteration.

The fact is it took Apple to show them how it is done.

Dressing Microsoft up as a late arriver is still a poor excuse.

• Reply 98 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly! I set up a different user on my iMac for my GF. And it is a pain. Every time I sit down at my iMac, I have to log her out and login. Hate it. We stopped doing it. It's awful.

Do yourself a favor, check this box:

System Preferences > Users & Groups > [  ] Show fast user switching menu as...

• Reply 99 of 115
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

iOS has a game center that as far as I know an equivalent feature is not available on Android or Windows. 

Android has Google Play Games, and x86 Windows tablets have some no name feature, I think they call it Steam.

• Reply 100 of 115
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Exactly! I set up a different user on my iMac for my GF. And it is a pain. Every time I sit down at my iMac, I have to log her out and login. Hate it. We stopped doing it. It's awful.

What about fast user switching?