Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ah, so now they have a "Scrappled" campaign to go along with their "Scroogled" ads. So good to see Microsoft take the high road. Think they might be just a little worried about both of them?

EDIT: I can't think of a single instance where a Google ad even acknowledged Microsoft's existence. To look good some companies feel they have to make their competitors look bad. Kinda speaks to the value of their own product don't you think?

Yeah, sure does I remember the Samsung ads.

• Reply 102 of 115

"A 1 year old doesn't have proper finger prints."

Really? A 1 year still pisses & shits him/herself.

• Reply 103 of 115
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

"A 1 year old doesn't have proper finger prints."

Really? A 1 year still pisses & shits him/herself.

Having what to do with anything?

CrapID: Just let it fly* all over your phone; it will sense whether or not it’s you.

*Neither AppleCare nor the standard Apple warranty covers moisture or particulate damage done to your device 

• Reply 104 of 115
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    splif wrote: »
    Yeah, sure does I remember the Samsung ads.

And the Motorola ads, the Xoom on during the SuperBowl one with the grey people on a train, then there was that address in Brooklyn one, can't remember if it was Google or Motorola showing Google maps, then there was the whole Verizon Droid thing $100,000,000 worth of ads extolling the virtues of "real" multitasking and Adobe Flash.

Then RIM was in on it too, that lame stunt in Sydney that backfired so bad that, at first people thought it was Samsung.

Nokia blogging about antenna gate when people discovered that the same "how to hold a handset" was printed in their manuals.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

How does the logic of this statement work? Multiple User Profiles only works on paper because it doesn't work on the iPad, which doesn't have user profiles to begin with?

What I meant was that Multiple User Profiles only works when people don't want to use a device/computer at the same time.  When you have one iPad and two kids, one of the kid want to use the drawing program, while the other wants to play the spelling game, and tell them to "take turns" don't always work.

• Reply 106 of 115
    ipilya wrote: »
    In my view, the second ad has teeth. I too would very much like to have profiles and more robust monitoring. I have given my 3 y/o my old iPhone 4 (sans sim card) and my old iPad 3 which we do share when I need it. While I have setup restrictions... overall its not implemented in a way to provide either the level of assurance or the level of practicality that I would expect. 

I’m curious exactly what “assurance” or “practicality” you find lacking in the implementation?

And I’m also curious, why do you need “more robust monitoring”? Do you need to review a running history of your 3 y/o’s keystrokes, spy-style? Isn’t enough to pop open “multitasking” to see which apps have been launched? Relaunch them to see what’s going on in-app? If it’s an older device, you can wipe whatever, leave what you like, block the rest… I don’t see any special ‘loopholes’ that could be a “danger” for a random-button-pushing 3 y/o that “profiles” are going to solve, much less more “spying”, oh excuse me, “monitoring”…

I’d still like to know exactly what you found “lacking”...
  • Reply 107 of 115
    muppetry wrote: »
    I think this is probably a fundamental difference between the tablet philosophies rather than a reflection of technical hurdles.

The iPad seems to have been conceived and designed as a single-user device - similar to a smartphone - with an always on, continuously logged-in use model, and I suspect that it may be felt that it would dilute that model to provide explicit multi-user support. Microsoft, on the other hand, has continued to look for ways to make the Surface experience more, rather than less, like using a conventional computer.

Neither approach is necessarily wrong, but they are clearly different.

It is the right disctinction, I think.

My OSX devices have multiple accounts. My iMac and MacBook Air for example. That’s fine for personal computers, for one reason it doesn’t take a measurable perentage of the total storage to support a second account, including unique applications.

Something else lurking behind the scenes with the single-user vs multi-account approach: Licensing. To me that’s probably the biggest elephant in the room.

Licensing seems to have a very different set of models with mobile devices vs PCs.

Finally, as I said in an earlier post. I know people who “share” an iPad, a family with kids. It isn’t an optimum arrangement. They would prefer one for each if they could afford it. Since they can’t, they ‘schedule’ time for the kids. They’d have to do that anyway. And they guide and teach the kids where the boundaries are. By the way, theirs is a 16GB iPad 2. They’re always out of space as it is. How would they accommodate the extra data for multiple accounts?

I agree that iOS devices are more personal. I don’t want to “share” my iPad, or my iPhone. It’s a “personal device”, rather more so than a “personal computer” even. It’s OK to occasionally let someon else use it, play games or whatever. But “set up camp” on my iPad? No thanks!
  • Reply 108 of 115
    graxspoo wrote: »
    Wow, so incredibly non-compelling. Most people don't buy stuff based on feature comparisons, they buy on emotion. Apple's ads tell you, their products are cool, easy to use, fun, and creative. These ads tout features that are of limited appeal.

They’re going after the "Housewife In The Kitchen" demographic for sure.
  • Reply 109 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

They’re going after the "Housewife In The Kitchen" demographic for sure.

Yeah, I guess they're going to have the "People who work in noisy kitchens on messy multi-page recipes, and have enough patience to learn how to use the hands-free gestures" market pretty much all to themselves. Somehow I think Apple will survive.

• Reply 110 of 115

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Having what to do with anything?

CrapID: Just let it fly* all over your phone; it will sense whether or not it’s you.

Having to do with the inability of a 1 year old to control much in thier own world & he's worried about a 1 year old being able to use an iPad...did I miss something here? No, it was you.

• Reply 111 of 115
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Having to do with the inability of a 1 year old to control much in thier own world & he's worried about a 1 year old being able to use an iPad...

Haha! Following it back I see what you’re saying. He’s more making the point that TouchID would be difficult for any children to use, thus removing (one aspect of) the multi-account option from multiple child households.

Oh, and the button you want is Quote, not Reply, in the bottom right. Reply does zilch; no idea why it’s there. Quote will capture the post you want. Cheers.

• Reply 112 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Haha! Following it back I see what you’re saying. He’s more making the point that TouchID would be difficult for any children to use, thus removing (one aspect of) the multi-account option from multiple child households.

Oh, and the button you want is Quote, not Reply, in the bottom right. Reply does zilch; no idea why it’s there. Quote will capture the post you want. Cheers.

Yeah...I missed the quote button so I just copied & pasted his comment. No harm. No foul. I just picture a one year old spastically slapping at a screen. I could be wrong, after all one year olds are known for their manual dexterity.

• Reply 113 of 115
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I’m curious exactly what “assurance” or “practicality” you find lacking in the implementation?

And I’m also curious, why do you need “more robust monitoring”? Do you need to review a running history of your 3 y/o’s keystrokes, spy-style? Isn’t enough to pop open “multitasking” to see which apps have been launched? Relaunch them to see what’s going on in-app? If it’s an older device, you can wipe whatever, leave what you like, block the rest… I don’t see any special ‘loopholes’ that could be a “danger” for a random-button-pushing 3 y/o that “profiles” are going to solve, much less more “spying”, oh excuse me, “monitoring”…

I’d still like to know exactly what you found “lacking”...

At this stage in his life, the monitoring would not need to be much... more or less the ability to glance at what was going on to see if I was missing something.

As for profiles... It would be very nice to have the ability to limit what apps show up, what he can do with them, and what times he can use them. 

• Reply 114 of 115
    angusgangusg Posts: 1member

Smartgroschen app provide facility of cheap phone calls to all mobiles and landline in the world from your smartphones and tablet without sim card. You can try Smartgroschen phone calls to mobiles and landlines, because at start you get 0,50 euro gratis!