Apple widens lead over Android in worldwide ad impression share, now twice as large

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 60
    hill60 wrote: »
    Not since they disappeared from Google's play store, part of their "walled garden" clean up.

    It's due to the majority of Android's market share coming from people who buy cheap, low end handsets and only use them for voice calls and text.

    Walled gardens are only evil when Apple does it.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    pooch wrote: »
    perhaps more android devices run adblock software than do ios devices?

    The standard apologist meme is "user-agent string"
  • Reply 23 of 60
    philboogie wrote: »
    once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

    I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.

    Aren't the majority of white box Android devices are sold in Asia as an inexpensive media player loaded with pirated content? Why would they ever use the those things to surf the web? They got a PC running a pirated copy of Windows for that.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Even low-end users surf the web and use email, so how can all those cheap Asian white-box tablets not be showing much online footprint? Even video and book content comes from the web. And it's not just about ads: other metrics show the same conundrum.

    The Cubed podcast explained a pretty persuasive theory on this question: these super-cheap Android tablets selling in Asia are used primarily as viewers of pirated video content--the same way VideoCDs were once popular there. This content is installed by SD card or USB sticks which are sold (or get your own loaded up from a laptop) all over. No Internet connection needed to obtain content nor view it.

    Essentially, a huge number of Android "tablets" may actually be Android in name only: they're just media players, using neither apps nor the web.

    That could be a big part of the answer.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    maybe this is not a case of which platform uses the mobile web browser more than the other, but a hint towards the reality that the reported Samsung smartphone "shipments" (not sales) are a crock of s$%& and Apple really holds the lion share of the market.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think surveys show iOS users have whiter teeth and clearer skin too.

    Purely based on personal observations I'd say that's true. Once the Android users get past puberty they'll improve hopefully.
  • Reply 27 of 60

    billions and billions and billions of activations........of TV dongles

  • Reply 28 of 60
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Adfonics eh? Sammy forgot to bribe that one
  • Reply 29 of 60
    This study shows Apples significant leadership over Android, the Ad-OS of Googles Ad-Kingdom. No, I want to choose a device for money and not a cheap device that Google can steal data from.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Nowadays, Android phones are sold in place of dumb phones to customers who do not have data plans. I guess quite a bunch of Android phones will rarely if ever browse the net%u2026
  • Reply 31 of 60
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,903member
    Ha ha! The search for the missing Android devices is starting to sound like the search for the universe's missing mass. Wonder what will be found first, dark matter or dark androids?
  • Reply 32 of 60

    According to fresh data from ad buying platform and mobile DSP Adfonic, Apple's iOS accounted for63 percent of all global impressions during quarter three, a three percent boost from the quarter previous.

     

    Surprise.

     

    I imagine the numbers will be even more heavily in Apple's favor when they roll out their real TV solution.

  • Reply 33 of 60
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Surprise.

    I imagine the numbers will be even more heavily in Apple's favor when they roll out their real TV solution.

    I disagree, the longer they take the more people will grow accustomed to using competing services.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Yes indeed, it is an ad driven future.

    Ads + Freemium apps is where it is all at. Bit obviously if you can continue to have your cake an eat it, then those offshore stocks assets are snuggling up big time.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    It%u2019s still amazing to find out that iPhone is still enjoying its lion share despite the herculean competition rendered by Android. The mobile ads in my opinion are placed well in Apple products and hence the clicks through rates (CTR) of ads are more owing to iPhone%u2019s beautiful user experience. Very soon we might just see the Android too catching up in pace to supersede iOS. But again the iPhone application development enthusiasts (http://www.techendeavour.com/iphone-application-development ) will be running ahead.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I disagree, the longer they take the more people will grow accustomed to using competing services.

    That worked so well with smart phones and tablets. Oh wait, smart phones have been out for several years prior to the iPhone and tablets have been out for 10 years prior to the iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jungmark wrote: »
    That worked so well with smart phones and tablets. Oh wait, smart phones have been out for several years prior to the iPhone and tablets have been out for 10 years prior to the iPad.

    The big difference being that with the iPhone Apple entered into a small smartphone market, and with the iPad a almost nonexistent tablet market, but the TV set market is saturated. Can Apple make a set so vastly superior to what already exists that people will replace their current TV with Apple's?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Can Apple make a set so vastly superior to what already exists that people will replace their current TV with Apple's?

    Hell yes! The current way it works sucks so much I don't even bother turning the damn thing on anymore. I do watch an entire series after it has aired, but that is without all the hassle TV brings as it currently works, with commercials, set times etc.

    Tim was right when he said he felt like going back 30 years in time when turning on the TV. This needs to be completely rethought. And looking at what Samsung, Google and others produce as products and services they will never be able to create it. I truly think only Apple can. They have the potential.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Hell yes! The current way it works sucks so much I don't even bother turning the damn thing on anymore. I do watch an entire series after it has aired, but that is without all the hassle TV brings as it currently works, with commercials, set times etc.

    Tim was right when he said he felt like going back 30 years in time when turning on the TV. This needs to be completely rethought. And looking at what Samsung, Google and others produce as products and services they will never be able to create it. I truly think only Apple can. They have the potential.

    Most of us rarely use the UI that comes on the TV. Once the cable box/media streamer/gaming console. is set up the most we hit on the original remote is the A/V and volume buttons. What good is a Apple TV if it's great UI is nullified by other devices?
  • Reply 40 of 60
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Most of us rarely use the UI that comes on the TV. Once the cable box/media streamer/gaming console. is set up the most we hit on the original remote is the A/V and volume buttons. What good is a Apple TV if it's great UI is nullified by other devices?

    Good point. Perhaps they don't need to create the whole set (with the panel) but 'just' expand on the current AppleTV box. But in my view the current 'shit experience' isn't limited to the technical side of it, it's also the way these channels work. I'd rather have a 'smart Vimeo' kind of setup: great content, on demand, with some sort of Siri / Spotlight / Smart folders integration.
Sign In or Register to comment.