Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    The same study also shows apple now is behind windows phone in many Europe countries... :(
  • Reply 22 of 85
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    That
    Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

That's quite amusing. Apple is doomed /s
  • Reply 23 of 85
    Huh?
  • Reply 24 of 85
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Got the wife the 5c - since she barely used all the functionality of her 4 - got it at Target for $50 with a $50 Target gift card included - so effectively free.

Waiting for the 5s 64GB to be in stock so I upgrade my 4s.

If by free you mean you settled for last year's tech (and less future resale value) while getting locked into two years of paying a carrier's same inflated on-contract monthly prices and "saved" $6.25/mo ($150/24) for the privilege.....

[...And not attacking you, rather the whole model at the US "Big Two."]

• Reply 25 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Until the methodology, time of survey and sample size are revealed I have no faith in any marketing surveys from third parties.

Add to that information about who is paying that third party for the study. I think we need to be just as skeptical about surveys that indicate positives for Apple as we are about surveys that show the opposite. This whole smartphone war thing has opened my eyes to the scam this all is. Companies can produce any results they want to if they spend enough money. CEOs can spout any nonsense they want and have it taken as gospel by somebody. It has become painfully evident that objectivity is an illusion in business. Go to any financial website and for every gloom/doom/bubble naysayer you can find the opposite bull/buy/spend positive thinker. A monkey throwing at a dart board is as good as any analyst.

• Reply 26 of 85
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

If by free you mean you settled for last year's tech (and less future resale value) while getting locked into two years of paying a carrier's same inflated on-contract monthly prices and "saved" $6.25/mo ($150/24) for the privilege.....

[...And not attacking you, rather the whole model at the US "Big Two."]

Free as in any other option would have been more money out of pocket with no reduction in my monthly service for a device that is replacing a device that is already more than she needs. Plus her 4 is already slated to go to a niece. 

While I use my devices to make money - so that latest and greatest speed etc makes me more productive - some folks don't need the additional capability - even at $6.25 a month. 

IF the carriers were actually interested being fair to their consumers the monthly price of your plan would drop when you reach the 24 month mark or they would put the alleged subsidy amount into escrow each month so you could bank it towards future hardware upgrades  

• Reply 27 of 85
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Half of all statistics are made up on the spot.      ;)

Very much true

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

A perfect example of made-up statistics shown immediately above... :)

• Reply 28 of 85
    Talk about cherry picking data from a report - MacRumors has much better article about the data. The 5s/5c did not change anything worldwide.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/02/iphone-5c-broadens-apples-customer-base-but-android-continues-to-lead-in-smartphones/
  • Reply 29 of 85

The link says

"Almost half of [American] iPhone 5C owners switched from competitor brands, particularly Samsung and LG,"

How does that prove that "Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers"

I read it as suggesting that the half in question already owned phones that were not iPhones but that they could have been a mixture of Symbian, WM, WP, Android, etc.

Accordingly doesn't it follows that the remaining 50% were a combination of existing iPhone owners or people buying a phone for the first time?

Or have I missed something.

• Reply 30 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

That's totally wrong. My studies show it's 63%.

• Reply 31 of 85
    john.b wrote: »

That's totally wrong. My studies show it's 63%.

82.5% of all statistics are made-up.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

82.5% of all statistics are made-up.

74.26% of the time.

• Reply 33 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    hungover wrote: »
     The link says

"Almost half of [American] iPhone 5C owners switched from competitor brands, particularly Samsung and LG,"

How does that prove that "Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers"

I read it as suggesting that the half in question already owned phones that were not iPhones but that they could have been a mixture of Symbian, WM, WP, Android, etc.

Accordingly doesn't it follows that the remaining 50% were a combination of existing iPhone owners or people buying a phone for the first time?

Or have I missed something.

Because "Android is winning ".
  • Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Talk about cherry picking data from a report - MacRumors has much better article about the data. The 5s/5c did not change anything worldwide.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/02/iphone-5c-broadens-apples-customer-base-but-android-continues-to-lead-in-smartphones/

MacRumors is good for news.  But Apple Insider is better for enjoying forum members yelling at each other. I don't think I've seen another forum as "lively" that way. :)

• Reply 35 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Got the wife the 5c - since she barely used all the functionality of her 4 - got it at Target for $50 with a $50 Target gift card included - so effectively free.

Waiting for the 5s 64GB to be in stock so I upgrade my 4s.

I got my parents dad and mom each a iphone 5c(they have used ipad 2 in the past never a iphone) and they love it.

I got mine a 64Gb iPhone 5S gold on the day of the release and ultimately love it.

Happy to see iPhones are selling well everywhere. The better their market share, they will spend more money on the R&D and come up with future phones with more features and better for us :)

• Reply 36 of 85
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

It's a great device to enter the Apple world. That was a good move.

• Reply 37 of 85
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The same study also shows apple now is behind windows phone in many Europe countries... image

Italy!

• Reply 38 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    piot wrote: »
    Italy!

There are probably a lot of Eastern European countries they are behind… but also were never ahead.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    My dad specifically requested a blue iPhone 5c.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    hill60 wrote: »
    74.26% of the time.

With a +/- 5% margin for error. :)