Next-gen USB connector a reversible challenge to Apple's Thunderbolt & Lightning

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    Why is everything viewed as win/lose?

First, this and other articles, ignore that Apple is a key member of the USB Standards body.

Second that there seems to be MUCH confusion as to the features, capabilities, and use cases for this, Lightning, and Thunderbolt. If USB goes the way of Lightning that's a win for all, including Apple.

What is missing however, again here and other like articles, is that we have competition and that's good for all. If there was no lightning I'm pretty confident there would be no new connector just as if had their not been the old 400 Firewire I would argue that there wouldn't have been a USB 2.0 later 3.0 from FW800 in the timeframes they appeared. These things accelerate development and good ideas bubble up.

Sadly people are too quick to claim Apple creates things such as ADB, ADC, Firewire, 30-pin, Lightning, Thunderbolt,etc., to extract more $$$ and prevent others from entry. There may be some of that which results but the real story is Apple is manic in creating thinner, faster, greater functionality products, and where standards bodies can take years to approve a something like this and even longer for OEM's to support, Apple has no hesitation to go on its own when it feels it can offer a more compelling solution and gain competitive advantage. It's also the case that when these Apple developed technologies are caught up by standards they are dropped for the standard or replaced by an even more compelling Apple offering. It's really pretty simple!

In my view...once this settles...we all win...again including Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

So the fact that all of those will connect in a type A socket means that they're not universal?  News to me. 

Guess no one told you your fancy new Lightning Cable is really USB too. Oops.

All those will connect in a type A socket? What are you smoking? Or do you have a keychain full of converter dongles?

• Reply 23 of 69
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    . What's the most universal connector then, outside of an electrical socket?

Without wanting to respond to the discussion at hand, I think it's either audio (headphone) jacks or RJ-45.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    disturbia wrote: »
    So, basically, WHATEVER Apple has done / does, the rest of so-called tech-worlds start copy .... err.... implementing them!

And then there are those who keep bitching Apple has not innovate anything since iPhone!

You're specifically talking about Android fanboys. They're idiots. Ignore them.
  • Reply 25 of 69

Apple has some pretty serious patents on the lightning connector. I wonder how USB group will deal with that.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/10/apple-granted-36-patents-today-covering-the-lightning-connector-micro-sim-assembly-future-ipad-materials-more.html

• Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

VGA + Mini VGA = 2, which is certainly better than USB.

At least you know what I’m talking about now. There’s only one Thunderbolt and one Lightning, after all.

And yet you still can't even go Thunderbolt to lightning (and probably never will). That's the point. Thunderbolt devices (capacity relies on the underlying mini Display Port) require a chip on the other end, so not really that universal, no, but they are one size. Lightning is proprietary from the start, so that's as good as saying some Nokia or samsung crap phone connector is universal cause it's one size and...Of course that fact that Lightning only works with a USB connection makes this whole convo pretty ironic. 

• Reply 27 of 69
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    USB: the least universal port ever devised, now in its ninth redesign, eventually to have eleven.

Just kill it already.

And replace it with what?
  • Reply 28 of 69
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    You guys are fools to think that Apple isn't already on board with this emerging standard. Frankly it looks like Apple had a hand in the design, you know smaller and reversible. Apple know damn well that TB and USB are largely playing in different fields.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

All those will connect in a type A socket? What are you smoking? Or do you have a keychain full of converter dongles?

While you can convert back and forth between mini/micro whatever, the other end for the host is nearly always Type A receptacle, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Without wanting to respond to the discussion at hand, I think it's either audio (headphone) jacks or RJ-45.

Audio is definitely out, there's a ton of TS connectors, just because 3.5mm is common on mobile now, doesn't make it the only or universal, and I think the discussion revolves around digital data connections here generally anyway. RJ-45 though, could be the winner. Good call.

• Reply 30 of 69
    I believe this is when Fandroids start gushing uncontrollably about how smart and awesome reversible connectors are. Because it's stupid and greedy when Apple does it.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    philboogie wrote: »

Yep, it's either the Jack. Plug or men and women ....:D
  • Reply 33 of 69
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Another nail in Thunderbolt's coffin.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    The article says this new plug will be similarly sized to the current Micro-B plug. In other words.... small.

Can you imagine a flash drive with a tiny plug like that?

Let's hope it's [I]very[/I] strong, reliable and durable.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    So the fact that all of those will connect in a type A socket means that they're not universal?  News to me. 

Guess no one told you your fancy new Lightning Cable is really USB too. Oops.

I tried telling him that that it's USB to Lightning but he wouldn't listen.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I tried telling him that that it's USB to Lightning but he wouldn't listen.

Because you did no such thing, don’t comprehend what’s going on now, and didn’t comprehend what was going on then, either.

• Reply 37 of 69

And for the over 40 crowd... remember when SCSI connectors were the size of harmonica? 

...with cables the size of fire hoses?

Those were the days when computers looked like they meant business!
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Because you did no such thing, don’t comprehend what’s going on now, and didn’t comprehend what was going on then, either.

I sure did, just because you don't remember doesn’t mean that I didn't.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is exciting stuff and long overdue (although probably early for the USB committee).

Now who wants to run through old posts to find where people disparaged Lightning as being pointlessly small and reversible just to pair them up with comments of the news of USB finally catching up?

Let's hope it's very strong, reliable and durable.

Being strong, reliable and durable are definitely the weak points I see for USB. They don't have a good track record with any small port interface.

1983 wrote: »
    Another nail in Thunderbolt's coffin.

What?! In no way does the micro-USB3.0 Type C connector affect Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And for the over 40 crowd... remember when SCSI connectors were the size of harmonica? 

And a printer cable alone cost as much a color ink jet printer on Amazon.