Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the first time ever, more people have Mac desktops on their holiday wish lists than those made by Dell, according to one analytics firm that also has Apple leading in tablets and streaming set-top boxes.

iMac

Market research firm Parks Associates (via CNET), released new data on Wednesday, which pegged Apple as the No. 1 consumer electronics brand for planned holiday purchases.

"Apple topped the list of intended brands for desktop purchases for the first time this year," said Parks Associates' Director of Consumer Analytics John Barrett. "In 2011 and 2012, Dell was the top desktop brand, but Apple has displaced it, making Apple now the most popular brand across even more key CE categories."

With Dell pushed down to second place in the desktop category, HP comes in third, while Acer and Asus trail the top-five. Apple released its latest iMac update in September, bringing Intel Haswell processors, 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity and new Nvidia GeForce 700 graphics to the ultra-slim all-in-one.

While not mentioned in the report, survey respondents may also be looking to buy Apple's upcoming Mac Pro, the company's professional-level desktop that finally received a long-awaited redesign this year.

The cylindrical computer is still very much a niche product with prices starting at $2,999, but many pro and enthusiast users have been pining for radically redesigned machine since it was unveiled in June. Apple has yet to announce a firm release date, but said the Mac Pro will ship in December.

As for the other two categories measured by Parks Associates, Apple is in the top spot for intended tablet purchases, ahead of Amazon's Kindle and Samsung. Microsoft's Surface managed to come in fourth, while Acer pulled up the rear in fifth.

Finally, the Apple TV is the top brand for streaming media devices, edging out the popular Roku lineup. Buffalo, D-Link and NETGEAR rounded out the top-five in that category.

"Being the 'preferred' brand is certainly an advantage, but consumers can still change their minds," Barrett said. "For example, with streaming media players, Apple is the preferred brand, but many shoppers ultimately end up getting a Roku. Last year, among younger (18-34) shoppers for this device, 34% planned to buy an Apple, and 15% planned to buy a Roku. In a later survey of actual purchases, we found 24% bought an Apple TV and 29% bought a Roku player."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    What's a Dell ???
  • Reply 2 of 55
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Duuddeeee....you're gettin' Dell!

• Reply 3 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Duuddeeee....you're gettin' Dell!

You missed the ending ... 'poor bastard ..."
  • Reply 4 of 55
  • Reply 5 of 55
    Not at all surprising. Apple stands for quality and innovation and a great integrated user experience across all platforms.

Dell stands for dogs**t.
  • Reply 6 of 55

Dell and MS made billions selling crappy hardware and software...bit by bit people are waking up to this fact! Ugh! :)

• Reply 7 of 55

APPLETV: Just being able to stream your photos to your big screen TV with a little light jazz playing in the background is worth $99!

My friends are mesmerized by it. I just have it on while having drinks and making a little din din and they love it. I make sure there are a few  photos of them mixed in. They love it when a photo of them "Ken Burns" across the screen.

My GF, "BJ" - (not her real name!) thinks I'm a genius! 

Thanks Apple! :)

• Reply 8 of 55
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Dude....

• Reply 9 of 55
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Awww, Dell.  It's like a walk down memory lane!

Every new Dell computer should come with a blast from the past care package that includes stuff like: Gavin Rossdale's Love Remains the Same, a boxed DVD set of Chuck or Battlestar Galactica, and Wii Mario Kart.  (Wasn't 2008 the peak of Dell©?)

Suggested ad slogans for Dell Computer today:

It's not your grandfather's Dell. ©

Dell.  Own Piece of Yesteryear. ©

Dude you're getting a Dell.  And I'm so sorry!  I'm just so tapped out this year, it's all I could afford. ©

Dell.  The dude is clean.  He went to rehab for marijuana possession.  Seriously. ©

Ya, we KNOW the "E" is crooked.  Deal with it! ©

And our favorite slogan, written by Michael Dell himself:

"Shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

• Reply 10 of 55
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I have yet to go into a store that sells the AppleTV, other than the Apple Store, and have the sales person actually push any Apple product.
  • Reply 11 of 55

Not all dell products are all that bad.  The majority of their consumer level machines aren't that great especially when compared to their competitors.

Some of their products were great for what you got for the money.  These were more at the high end corporate level though so regular people would never see them.  This includes some of their better monitors. 

• Reply 12 of 55
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

For the first time ever, more people have Mac desktops on their holiday wish lists than those made by Dell, according to Santa Claus who also has Apple leading in tablets and streaming set-top boxes.

There, fixed that. You can't fool me! There is only one person who could possibly know this for a fact (except maybe his wife and a couple of elfs).

• Reply 14 of 55
    dennyc2013 wrote: »
    Not all dell products are all that bad.  The majority of their consumer level machines aren't that great especially when compared to their competitors.

Some of their products were great for what you got for the money.  These were more at the high end corporate level though so regular people would never see them.  This includes some of their better monitors. 

Let's all be honest here, at the consumer level it is junk hardware running an even more junk OS as in Microcrap, although running Linux they made good servers.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Ppl wanted a Dell?

wj
  • Reply 16 of 55

LOL Dell? A most wanted brand? Christmas 2001 was so 12 years ago.

• Reply 17 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season
    Do those users really want a Dell or is that simply what they will accept?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Acer and Asus? Seriously? Who asks for either one of those brands.The only reason people walk out of a store with one of those is because it had the cheapest price. And aren't all those Windows computers the same anyway? Just the box is different.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    LOL Dell? A most wanted brand? Christmas 2001 was so 12 years ago.

The bad old days for sure. Let's not forget Gateway's cows or better yet the IBM PC .... all in the graveyard created by Microshit ... and they just keep digging.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    stourque wrote: »
    Acer and Asus? Seriously? Who asks for either one of those brands.The only reason people walk out of a store with one of those is because it had the cheapest price. And aren't all those Windows computers the same anyway? Just the box is different.

Come on, surely there are big differences ... Don't some crap out sooner than others?