President Obama reveals he is not allowed to use Apple's iPhone due to security risks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    why isn't he getting the latest BB device that looks and kind of functions like an iPhone? isn't that secure?

so the iPhone is not secure, but the iPad the president has, that runs the same iOS software as the iPhone, is secure enough that he's allowed to use..
    Isn't that stupid?
  • Reply 22 of 93
    nagromme wrote: »
    His campaign certainly used a metric ton of iPhones! I volunteered, and although I was a grunt at the bottom end, many organizers above me had campaign-issued iPhones which were used for all kinds of things. It was a well-oiled machine that looked like chaos on the surface but was super-efficient and detail-focused in reality--and iPhones were a part of that. (As were banks of plain-old computers of course, which is where I came in.)

I can definitely see why jumping on the latest new advances is NOT good for security though!

Yea. You wouldn't think the rollout of the ACA would be such a cluster because of this, but an election campaign and a government agency are very different animals. Campaigns can hire the 'best and brightest' and use whatever technology they see fit to accomplish the task. Government agencies must follow Federal procurement laws and use 'approved' standards. It's one thing for people to listen in on a call you make to a potential voter and something altogether different when the President is calling the Secretary of State.

FWIW, I volunteered in 2008 and 2012 and used my iPhone and Mac both times...
  • Reply 23 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

The issue is not strictly the device, but the security of networks that the device utilizes. Early on, RIM developed it's back end servers to meet the security needs of service providers, corporations, and government agencies. 

The classic BlackBerry infrastructure requires all traffic to be tunneled through a proxy server. It was designed that way because the original Mobitex and DataTAC networks were basically 2-way pager networks, they didn't understand IP. This had some benefits: you can switch between Wi-Fi and cellular on the fly without dropping a connection. The mail client actually ran on a server, not your phone. This let you do push e-mail without using any battery because the server would handle the connection.

The disadvantage is that 100% of traffic passed through one data center in Canada. Remember the outages? This also means that's a single point for spying. Your phone doesn't access your e-mail, a server in Canada does. The reason why BES tunnels data encrypted is to fix this vulnerability. Even if you have BES, the traffic still travels through RIM servers in Canada.

BlackBerry security is largely a myth. For example, there's no code signing or hardware encryption long after the iPhone came out with those features.

• Reply 24 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

What does Putin use?

In Russia, the phone uses Putin!

• Reply 25 of 93
    gimarbazat wrote: »
    so the iPhone is not secure, but the iPad the president has, that runs the same iOS software as the iPhone, is secure enough that he's allowed to use..
    Isn't that stupid?

It may be that he only uses the iPad for web-surfing, reading and/or watching videos. It's probably still on a secure wifi or broadband network. No email, messaging, or VoIP-video chat...
  • Reply 26 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

why isn't he getting the latest BB device that looks and kind of functions like an iPhone? isn't that secure?

Isn't that stupid?

iPad without GPS. 

• Reply 27 of 93
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Uh, iOS is pretty fucking secure. It just shows how behind and backwards the federal government is at updating their protocols. There's a fucking problem when the President is only allowed to use a 7 year old phone with an obsolete OS because of "security". 

• Reply 28 of 93
    lately it seems like the emails are read anyway no matter what network you are on..
  • Reply 29 of 93
    yes he probably watches a lot of youtube..
  • Reply 30 of 93
    pazuzu wrote: »
    What does Putin use?
    Putin uses Vertu
  • Reply 31 of 93
    I would say, any mobile phone capable of running a Google search is not very secure. /s
  • Reply 32 of 93
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Don't all Crackberry communications go through Cannuckistan?

• Reply 33 of 93
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member

Lol, a large percentage of America only cares about which phones the Kardashians use.

• Reply 34 of 93

Frankly, there are still security concerns about the Blackberry he uses, or him using a cellphone at all. He also has been photographed repeatedly violating communications security protocols with that stupid Blackberry, such as making calls on it right next to his secured landline (which interferes with the encryption and can allow for eavesdropping). Many TCSM professionals have commented on this. Him not using an iPhone is a nonissue, IMO.

• Reply 35 of 93
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What an inflammatory piece of yellow journalism. Being able to pose with an iPhone does not make you tech savvy. Obama has demonstrated a remarkable ability to not grasp technology nor the business world. The list of failure his administration has created is long but includes the like of A123, Soylandra and many others. In a nut shel he doesn't have a clue about technology.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

When your development team tells your project managers "we need three to six months to test this new website", and you find out the hard way on launch day that they only scheduled three weeks for testing, well, someone wasn't very tech savvy....

Oh, I'm sure he'd rather use whatever his focus-group polling tells him would be the best received in photo ops (the iPhone I'm certain), but for now, "Since the Secret Service likes his Blackberry, he'll keep his Blackberry. Period."

;)

• Reply 36 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

What does Putin use?

Putin does not use mobile phone, he told once.

Yesterday russians announce their first smartphone with dual screen: http://www.yotaphone.com/#/en/

• Reply 37 of 93

Lest you all forget, it wasn't a given that Obama was allowed to use the BB at the beginning of his first term. He had to convince the NSA to allow him to use it. And it has been rumoured that he doesn't use a standard issue BB, as NSA added an extra layer of encryption to the device. 

• Reply 38 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I hope no one thinks he's rocking a modern version of BB OS

So glad you're here!
  • Reply 39 of 93
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mpantone wrote: »
    Lol, a large percentage of America only cares about which phones the Kardashians use.

Kardashians? What's that? A successor race to the Cyclons? Or perhaps predecessor?
  • Reply 40 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

"Due to security reasons, we are no longer permitted to implement battleships. We will instead deploy this last-remaining awesome Viking ship. I am assured of its efficacy, despite there being only seven people on board, six of whom are dedicated to bailing water."

Well, a battleship does have a much higher radar signature :p