Apple releases OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks with focus on Mail

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Maverick has been the first Apple OS that I regret upgrading. I have more than 10 Apple devices in my household - So I am a big fan of the company. I have never uttered this before, but I feel Apple has started to started to relax with their quality. Yes, Steve would have not let Maverick go out before it was really ready.

Here are some of the issues that has been painful for me, which I never saw it before.

- The switch back to single display from multi-display is very poor. As work I have two displays and I use them. When I back up to get come home, all I do is shut my Macbook and unplug th other display. When I open on my laptop it sometimes thinks that I have second display and if I open the open from dock it does not appear.
    - In outlook the screen shows up hit tittle back hidden.
    - Network connectivity is poor
  • Reply 22 of 59

It's the little things for me that irk me. I just downloaded SidEffects yesterday to get rid of the monochrome icons when i click on my hard drive for Documents etc. Was driving me nuts. I came from Snow Leopard which still had the color icons. Also I thought maybe in this .1 update they would bring colored icons to Mail for Folders, Inbox, VIPS. OSX is so colorful I don't know what the deal is with monochrome icons. At least let it be an option...?

• Reply 23 of 59

Hello Apple!

There's a huge unresolved problem in Apple Mail & Pages.

You can't email documents from Pages if you're using Gmail as your outgoing mail server. That would seem to be a pretty popular outgoing mail server.

The file type is considered unacceptable by Gmail servers, and you need to workaround it every time.

When is this getting fixed?  

It's completely unacceptable, and at least tens of thousands of users are putting up with this every day.

• Reply 24 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    joebags wrote: »
    Hello Apple!

You can't email documents from Pages if you're using Gmail as your outgoing mail server. That would seem to be a pretty popular outgoing mail server.

The file type is considered unacceptable by Gmail servers, and you need to workaround it every time.

It's completely unacceptable, and at least tens of thousands of users are putting up with this every day.

• http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html
  • Reply 25 of 59
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    ireland wrote: »
    Safari is crashing like crazy for me on 10.9
    Me too. Particularly on AI. In fact- I was trying to respond to you and your crazy comment that 80s pop music was good. Outside of Michael jackson- all pop sucks and always will (yes, Madonna included). ;). But I couldn't say it because safari crashed four times in a row and I said F it. Hah

Edit: it just. Crashed again on me- this time from my ipad. Wth! AI problem?
  • Reply 26 of 59
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

can't delete the books that I have there, DOES NOT ACTUALLY DELETE PDFS WHEN I SAY TO DELETE THEM

You can not haz (delete) books/pdf’s now.

• Reply 27 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now I have to try to remember what books I had and download them all again individually.

They should be listed under the ‘Purchased’ tab in iBooks.

Hehe! ;) 

• Reply 28 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joebags View Post

Hello Apple!

Thank Google for this one, buddy.

They recently implemented changes so that Apple users will deliberately experience ‘issues’ when using Gmail.

The good news is that if you swap everything across to Google/Android (stop nudging me, Eric!) everything works perfectly!

Using Gmail on an Apple device: The news iOS Google Maps Debacle.

• Reply 29 of 59
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Thank Google for this one, buddy.

They recently implemented changes so that Apple users will deliberately experience ‘issues’ when using Gmail.

The good news is that if you swap everything across to Google/Android (stop nudging me, Eric!) everything works perfectly!

Using Gmail on an Apple device: The news iOS Google Maps Debacle.

I moved completely away from Gmail.  Problem solved.

• Reply 30 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    john.b wrote: »
    I moved completely away from Gmail.  Problem solved.
    ^this^

With the extra bonus my and all my correspondents private communications no longer get sold off by Google.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

So, is there a bunch of new Mac Pro stuff in here? Optimised OpenCL drivers maybe.

• Reply 32 of 59
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

I wonder if this update will include a fix for whatever in Mavericks causes Macbook Pro Retinas to have a complete system freeze.  Nothing as minor as a kernel panic, mind, just instant sudden death.  I have had it happen three times since downgrading from ML.  I just wish a Macbook Pro Retina would run Snow Leopard - the best OS Apple has made - so I could go back to that.

• Reply 33 of 59
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I wonder if this update will include a fix for whatever in Mavericks causes Macbook Pro Retinas to have a complete system freeze.  Nothing as minor as a kernel panic, mind, just instant sudden death.  I have had it happen three times since downgrading from ML.  I just wish a Macbook Pro Retina would run Snow Leopard - the best OS Apple has made - so I could go back to that.

I had a pretty bad freeze today, just before the update came out. I couldn't shut down the machine (MacBook Pro Ret.) and it was steadily increasing in heat underneath. From the two incidents I've had, both followed interrupting some process (loading a page today) which then seemed not to terminate. Fortunately, I was eventually able to get the system to shut down, but I had a moment of kernel panic myself.

• Reply 34 of 59
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

I had a pretty bad freeze today, just before the update came out. I couldn't shut down the machine (MacBook Pro Ret.) and it was steadily increasing in heat underneath. From the two incidents I've had, both followed interrupting some process (loading a page today) which then seemed not to terminate. Fortunately, I was eventually able to get the system to shut down, but I had a moment of kernel panic myself.

I question the wisdom of sealed units that don't allow you to get at lithium batteries and unplug them.  Security screws that few have the bits for don't help either.

• Reply 35 of 59
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Test.  This is a test.  Sorry.

YAY!  I can finally post with Safari!  Woo-hoo!

• Reply 36 of 59
    Originally Posted by Joebags View Post

…using Gmail…

Found your problem.

• Reply 37 of 59

Not feeling great about what this update doesn't address.  If at least the Finder doesn't go back to its previous non-sluggish state with constant wait stages I'm downgrading to the backup.  

Do they have a tough job?  Of course.  Just don't want to keep spending 10 minutes on what used to take 3.

• Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I question the wisdom of sealed units that don't allow you to get at lithium batteries and unplug them.  Security screws that few have the bits for don't help either.

apple could easily put a button (very small, like the one to check battery level) on both sides of the computer, that when engaged simultaneously disconnect the battery from the computer. All without having to make the machines internals accessible. Or, just some obscure keyboard command like control+option+command+b, but a direct line disconnect via cutting the circuit straight from the battery would be more reliable.

• Reply 39 of 59
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member

I still can't double-click on a group in Mail to populate the To or Bcc fields, in fact I still can't double-click on a single Address name, which renders the Address window completely useless. Forwarding to a whole Group of people means going back to a previous email and copy-pasting or drag-dropping a bunch of adresses. I've actually been forwarding far fewer emails since Mavericks, expecting a quick fix on this.

Is there a new setting I'm missing here ?

• Reply 40 of 59

Still can't copy and paste into the Safari search bar on my MacBook Air without the spaces being converted to %20 and receiving an error message :-(