Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

Comments

• Reply 221 of 297
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's also qualified to run on the side, no doubt rack mounting kits will appear for it soon.

1) I still question how the cable setup will be done. I'd think slid into grooved chambers on an angle, like angled parking would be better than laid fully on their side.

2) Is that one screen of your new Mac Pro?

1) Thats a good idea. You could also fully populate it with short cables and bring them all out to a wiring harness/router on the back/bottom.

2) No, not my Mac Pro...

I got up too late and the shipments were already out to February... But that gives me more time to save $ to get:
    • New Mac Pro -- likely, mid-range
    • 4K Monitor
    • TB2 Pegasus Raid -- likely, the 32 Terabyte

My granddaughter just got $1,800 worth of starter DSLR gear and she takes lots and lots of photos and videos... It is amazing how fast you can fill up 2 10 Terabyte RAIDS

Are you finished with school -- or just sabbatical?
  • Reply 222 of 297
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Are you finished with school -- or just sabbatical?

Sabbatical until mid-January, but I'll never stop studying as here is always something to be learned.
  • Reply 223 of 297
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

As for the form factor, the new Mac Pro is an obvious departure from the normal silver machines we have been bumping our chairs into at the side of our feet for over ten years. This sits quietly on the desktop.

Very quiet. It is so quiet that you probably won't even hear the fan if you have a disk drive running nearby or have an air conditioner overhead. The footprint is small so it will fit on most desks, production environments or outside broadcast vans. It's also qualified to run on the side, no doubt rack mounting kits will appear for it soon.

He says this matter-of-factly, without sourcing. It would be nice to hear Apple say it. I couldn't find anything about this in the manual.

Nevertheless, if it's rackable on the side, that's a good thing. :D 

• Reply 224 of 297
    frank777 wrote: »

Quote:
    <div class="quote-block" style="border:1px solid rgb(217,218,216);color:rgb(24,24,24);padding:10px;">As for the form factor, the new Mac Pro is an obvious departure from the normal silver machines we have been bumping our chairs into at the side of our feet for over ten years. This sits quietly on the desktop.

Very quiet. It is so quiet that you probably won't even hear the fan if you have a disk drive running nearby or have an air conditioner overhead. The footprint is small so it will fit on most desks, production environments or outside broadcast vans. It's also qualified to run on the side, no doubt rack mounting kits will appear for it soon.</div>

He says this matter-of-factly, without sourcing. It would be nice to hear Apple say it. I couldn't find anything about this in the manual.

Nevertheless, if it's rackable on the side, that's a good thing. :D  

As a leading FCPX site, and the fact they got a BTO configuration on day 1 -- makes me believe that they have direct contact with Apple.
  • Reply 225 of 297
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    [*] TB2 Pegasus Raid -- likely, the 32 Terabyte

It is amazing how fast you can fill up 2 10 Terabyte RAIDS

It might be worth looking into an archive solution such as:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Ultrium-Drive-Storageworks-LTO-5/dp/B003G700G8

That would need a Thunderbolt to SAS adaptor:

http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?scat=31&sku=TLSH-1068-D00

Each 1.5TB cartridge would be $27:

http://www.amazon.com/LTO5-Ultrium-1-5TB-3TB-Case/dp/B003KR4CXQ

$1700 + $895 + $27 x 20 cartridges (30TB) = $3135. Slightly cheaper than the 32TB Pegasus at $4600 but you wouldn't need to buy 20 cartridges at first, just enough to free up the 10TB Pegasus drives.

I'm not sure why HP doesn't just release a Thunderbolt or USB 3 LTO drive. It could be the main storage medium used by desktop users to ship and backup large files.
  • Reply 226 of 297
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    z3r0 wrote: »
    Swapping out/upgrading GPU's, and expansion slots yes. You couldn't swap out CPU cores before but thats why more space is vital, to put in as many as possible. As far as RAM, the more space you have, the more you can fit in (and yes OS X has a limit of how much it can "see", but thats moot when running multiple OS's in VMs - the more the merrier). 

Except that that's just not what is done with pro workstations. The only thing that is done is to upgrade RAM, and maybe the startup drive. Workstations are used until they no longer meet the need, then they are sold off, and new ones put in. That's almost always the way it's done. Now, if you're buying a $15,000 workstation ,or a more expensive one, you may upgrade to more processors, etc. but Apple's not playing in that space. They're not competing with boxx's high end models
  • Reply 227 of 297
    1.875009e+34

And if you think servers are limited then your mind is limited. If you hadn't notice Mac Pro's use server class Xeon processors.

No, they don't. They use Xeon workstation class chips. Intel does make Xeon server chips, but Apple has never used those.
  • Reply 228 of 297
    The answer is correct, you are multiplying ASCII characters that need conversion to decimal first before multiplication.

It's not a server but Apple sure does like to use server parts. They shouldn't pretend, they should just build a dual purpose workstation versus limiting it.

Again, no server chips inside.
  • Reply 229 of 297
    Dell PowerEdge T620

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell-PowerEdge-T620-Spec-Sheet.pdf

24 core Xeon E5
    48TB internal HDD storage
    768 GB RAM
    7 Slots
    Dual PSU
    LOM
    Etc...

Workstation/Tower Chassis that's rack mountable

Only drawback is the OS

Here's an overview of the design:
    http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/videos~en/documents~poweredge-tower-server-family-video.aspx?modal=true

That's a server, not a workstation. The Mac Pro is not a server, it's a workstation. It would also do you well to check the pricing on that Dell, both the base machine and the upgrades.
  • Reply 230 of 297

Strange that writing is faster than reading. Could that be a bug in Blackmagicdesign?
    solipsismx wrote: »

Sabbatical until mid-January, but I'll never stop studying as here is always something to be learned.

I'll say. I find the articles of lesser importance than the informative posts people write up.

Will you leave, or mostly be absent from AI, come mid January?
  • Reply 232 of 297
    Marvin wrote: »
    [*] TB2 Pegasus Raid -- likely, the 32 Terabyte

It is amazing how fast you can fill up 2 10 Terabyte RAIDS

It might be worth looking into an archive solution such as:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Ultrium-Drive-Storageworks-LTO-5/dp/B003G700G8

That would need a Thunderbolt to SAS adaptor:

http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?scat=31&sku=TLSH-1068-D00

Each 1.5TB cartridge would be $27:

http://www.amazon.com/LTO5-Ultrium-1-5TB-3TB-Case/dp/B003KR4CXQ

$1700 + $895 + $27 x 20 cartridges (30TB) = $3135. Slightly cheaper than the 32TB Pegasus at $4600 but you wouldn't need to buy 20 cartridges at first, just enough to free up the 10TB Pegasus drives.

I'm not sure why HP doesn't just release a Thunderbolt or USB 3 LTO drive. It could be the main storage medium used by desktop users to ship and backup large files.

Thanks for the links… I'll investigate tomorrow!
  • Reply 233 of 297

Only Apple can notice a detail and design a power cord like this one:

Explanation for Windows/Android users: they curved the back of the plug so it fits seamless in the cylindrical shaped Mac.
  • Reply 234 of 297

LOL

Many out there:

• Reply 235 of 297

Not looking forward to seeing how bad the Cinebench scores are...though I do want to see them.

• Reply 236 of 297
    mike fix wrote: »
    Not looking forward to seeing how bad the Cinebench scores are...though I do want to see them.

Lots o' benchmarks
  • Reply 237 of 297

Wish the demo machines had a better variety.  They all seem to be 8-core video beasts.

6-core and 12-core would have been interesting.

Also, it would be nice if some test site would set up a set of files that people could download and test on their own machines for comparison and to organize the results.  Real-world stuff like a movie that would have several effects performed on it, a 10-second animation in variety of 3D apps for rendering.

But, it is nice to see that my current iMac (late 2012) is actually pretty good.  Of course, several tested apps have not been optimized for the MP yet.

• Reply 238 of 297
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I really like how they did incorporate the central radiator core in that image.

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Only Apple can notice a detail and design a power cord like this one:

Oh, and on the new, crazy-thin iMac, the cable exits the back of the plug at a slight upward angle (meaning if you hold the plug end vertically, the cable points up a bit)… because when it’s plugged into the iMac, the cable then comes out perfectly horizontally at the standard angle.

• Reply 239 of 297
    Oh, and on the new, crazy-thin iMac, the cable exits the back of the plug at a slight upward angle (meaning if you hold the plug end vertically, the cable points up a bit)… because when it’s plugged into the iMac, the cable then comes out perfectly horizontally at the standard angle.

That is soooo Apple!
  • Reply 240 of 297
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    melgross wrote: »
    No, they don't. They use Xeon workstation class chips. Intel does make Xeon server chips, but Apple has never used those.
    melgross wrote: »

Ok so I should look past the Mac Pro benchmarks indicating a 12 core Xeon E5-2697 V2 (server CPU)?
    http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/11/estimating-mac-pro-performance/

Or maybe ignore intel's page listing several servers using the same chip (including the Dell T620)?
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/benchmarks/server/xeon-e5-2600-v2/xeon-e5-2600-v2-summary.html

The Mac Pro does use a server class Xeon on the high end.

Just for kicks, you can even find the same Xeon server class chips in laptops:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/eurocom_launches_laptop_with_12_core_intel_xeon_e5_2697_v2_cpu.html