Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

Comments

• Reply 201 of 297
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting setup. I wonder if it was testing so ti can be placed like that and not have the top end of the Mac Pro get too much heat. or have the Mac Pros at the top of the rack get too much heat since heat rises. And how does get to the cables in that rack? Does it slide out or is that mockup much tighter than it will be in real life?

Without dual redundant power supplies, lights out management, and fibre channel connectivity its a non-starter. Not to mention the racks are non-standard. I'd hate to see the cost associated with replacing racks currently in existence.

• Reply 202 of 297

• Reply 203 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sort of wish you knew anything about what you’re talking about here.

A lot more then you think.

• Reply 204 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that the Apple Mac Pro is going where the Pro A/V market will be in 5 years. With Thunderbolt your external devices can be in another room -- separate from where you are processing audio.

Why even have the computer in the room?

Just run wires through the wall for displays, audio monitors, and have a USB hub for peripherals.

• Reply 205 of 297
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    z3r0 wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »
    To argue that the new Mac Pro (a desktop) is not really pro because it is not a server is a non sequitur. 

I'm not arguing that its not pro because its not a server. The previous generation wasn't a server either. I was just stating that Apple could have targeted both markets with one expandable design but didn't.

For example, if Apple would have designed the new Mac Pro in a way that it could be easily rack mounted and had an option to add dual redundant PSUs along with lights out management (LOM) etc... then it would have broader appeal. This way if you wanted a server you could add the additional PSU, LOM, additional PCIX expansion slots (multiple ethernet cards, 10gbe, fibre channel, raid card etc...) and a rack mount kit.

As for the current design of the Mac Pro, I would argue that its not 'Pro' in that sense that expansion is all external, you loose throughput with Thunderbolt 2 versus a slot straight on the logic board (not to mention the cable clutter) and by going with a smaller footprint versus the previous generation you loose out on the possibility of having more CPU cores, GPUs, storage and RAM which equates to more performance.

OK, but that is just your completely arbitrary definition of what needs to be in the box to make a pro machine. And based, in my opinion (and, presumably, Apple's), on an outdated paradigm. In what sense is the new machine more RAM-limited? It's only storage limited by your narrow definition of storage. How many users ever did core upgrades?
  • Reply 206 of 297
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

OK, but that is just your completely arbitrary definition of what needs to be in the box to make a pro machine. And based, in my opinion (and, presumably, Apple's), on an outdated paradigm. In what sense is the new machine more RAM-limited? It's only storage limited by your narrow definition of storage. How many users ever did core upgrades?

Swapping out/upgrading GPU's, and expansion slots yes. You couldn't swap out CPU cores before but thats why more space is vital, to put in as many as possible. As far as RAM, the more space you have, the more you can fit in (and yes OS X has a limit of how much it can "see", but thats moot when running multiple OS's in VMs - the more the merrier). 

• Reply 207 of 297
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    z3r0 wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

Swapping out/upgrading GPU's, and expansion slots yes. You couldn't swap out CPU cores before but thats why more space is vital, to put in as many as possible. As far as RAM, the more space you have, the more you can fit in (and yes OS X has a limit of how much it can "see", but thats moot when running multiple OS's in VMs - the more the merrier). 

Looks to me that you simply have no concept of what this machine is for or how it will be used, and you are way too slippery for me to be interested in continuing this discussion.
  • Reply 208 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Looks to me that you simply have no concept of what this machine is for or how it will be used.

One word: Limited.

• Reply 209 of 297
    Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post

A lot more then you think.

Hmm. What’s “a lot more” multiplied by zero?

One word: Limited.

One word: So are servers.

• Reply 210 of 297
    Hmm. What’s “a lot more” multiplied by zero?

1.875009e+34

And if you think servers are limited then your mind is limited. If you hadn't notice Mac Pro's use server class Xeon processors.
  • Reply 211 of 297

1.875009e+34

Get your server checked; it’s giving back bad answers.

If you hadn't notice Mac Pro's use server class Xeon processors. 

If you hadn’t noticed, it’s not a server.

• Reply 212 of 297
    Get your server checked; it’s giving back bad answers.

If you hadn’t noticed, it’s not a server.

The answer is correct, you are multiplying ASCII characters that need conversion to decimal first before multiplication.

It's not a server but Apple sure does like to use server parts. They shouldn't pretend, they should just build a dual purpose workstation versus limiting it.
  • Reply 213 of 297

They shouldn't pretend, they should just build a dual purpose workstation versus limiting it.

Or they should keep doing exactly what they’re doing because every other workstation does the same thing.

• Reply 214 of 297
    Or they should keep doing exactly what they’re doing because every other workstation does the same thing.

Dell PowerEdge T620

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell-PowerEdge-T620-Spec-Sheet.pdf

24 core Xeon E5
    48TB internal HDD storage
    768 GB RAM
    7 Slots
    Dual PSU
    LOM
    Etc...

Workstation/Tower Chassis that's rack mountable

Only drawback is the OS

Here's an overview of the design:
    http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/videos~en/documents~poweredge-tower-server-family-video.aspx?modal=true
  • Reply 215 of 297
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting setup. I wonder if it was testing so ti can be placed like that and not have the top end of the Mac Pro get too much heat. or have the Mac Pros at the top of the rack get too much heat since heat rises. And how does get to the cables in that rack? Does it slide out or is that mockup much tighter than it will be in real life?

Yeah, that setup looked fishy to me. The Pro is made to vent out the top, and lying them sideways will likely cause damage.

Not to mention the cable setup is insane.

The Mini is the only real hope for a server now. And its Haswell version is strangely MIA.

• Reply 216 of 297
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

And the argument that the new Pro is not really targeting pros is silly. They're just targeting specific pros.

The fact is that Apple has gone heavy on the Pro Video market with this upgrade. And deliberately so.

They figure that Print will stick with iMacs, and many Government/Education markets are sizing down these days as well.

It's almost likely they're planning to release something big in the TV arena, and will be using Final Cut adoption to drive content to it.

But hey, it's not like there are any rumours about that, are there? ;) 

• Reply 217 of 297

Looking forward to seeing these in a rack. Like a computer wine cooler:  http://www.wayfair.com/Wine-Enthusiast-48-Bottle-Dual-Zone-Touchscreen-Wine-Cooler-272-48-03-51-WINE1156.html

• Reply 218 of 297
    frank777 wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »

Yeah, that setup looked fishy to me. The Pro is made to vent out the top, and lying them sideways will likely cause damage.

Not to mention the cable setup is insane.

The Mini is the only real hope for a server now. And its Haswell version is strangely MIA.

As for the form factor, the new Mac Pro is an obvious departure from the normal silver machines we have been bumping our chairs into at the side of our feet for over ten years. This sits quietly on the desktop.

Very quiet. It is so quiet that you probably won't even hear the fan if you have a disk drive running nearby or have an air conditioner overhead. The footprint is small so it will fit on most desks, production environments or outside broadcast vans. It's also qualified to run on the side, no doubt rack mounting kits will appear for it soon.

[VIDEO]

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1307-the-first-24-hours-with-apple-s-new-mac-pro-and-final-cut-pro-10-1
  • Reply 219 of 297
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/36390/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Ships
    All is quiet on the water
    And the wind across the sand
    Whispers through our quarters
    That the morning’s close at hand

Our love’s in perfect order
    As we fold our sails in sleep
    But the moon is falling starboard
    And we have promises to keep

chorus:
    We rest here while we can
    But we hear the ocean calling in our dreams
    And we know by the morning
    The wind will fill our sails to test the seams
    A calm is on the water
    And part of us would linger by the shore
    For ships are safe in harbor
    But that’s not what ships are for

So we head for open water
    Set a course for distant land
    Out here there are no borders
    And the truth is in the chance

We fill our sails with purpose
    Find direction in the stars
    Pray the dark and deep won’t hurt us
    And sail with open arms

chorus:
    We rest here while we can
    But we hear the ocean calling in our dreams
    And we know by the morning
    The wind will fill our sails to test the seams
    A calm is on the water
    And part of us would linger by the shore
    For ships are safe in harbor

Ships are safe in harbor
  • Reply 220 of 297
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's also qualified to run on the side, no doubt rack mounting kits will appear for it soon.

1) I still question how the cable setup will be done. I'd think slid into grooved chambers on an angle, like angled parking would be better than laid fully on their side.

2) Is that one screen of your new Mac Pro?