Apple's new cylindrical Mac Pro desktop arrives Thursday starting at $2,999

Comments

• Reply 141 of 297
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    alienzed wrote: »
    3) No one is lugging around tons of external hard drives with their macbook pro, and if they are, well I'd consider that a fail.

Some people do.

Here is Chase Jarvis' mobile setup:

They've got a laptop and 2 external hard drives to backup media immediately in the field. That's 2 copies of their data on-site.

Back at the hotel... they've got a G-Safe RAID 1 enclosure. So that's a 3rd copy of their data... with RAID redundancy... before they head home.

And when they arrive home... all of the media gets copied onto 2 massive RAID arrays for long-term storage.

That's just one example. No one trusts their data to a single drive... anywhere. External drives are necessary.

That looks pretty tame compared to the folks doing field work with RED 4k raw and trying to slap together dailies on the road.
  • Reply 142 of 297
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Heh, you're assuming there will be one...

Don't make jokes like that. Just don't.....:( 

• Reply 143 of 297
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland wrote: »
    Yeah, Schiller said that on stage. Also, the idle power draw for the new Mac Pros is remarkable at just 43 watts.

That low idle power draw could be a big selling point. People are far more aware of power usage when it comes to computing devices these days.
  • Reply 144 of 297
    melgross wrote: »
    Despite my daughter's enthusiasm at wanting my old Mac Pro once I get the new one.
    It is Christmas time you could give her a new Mac Pro instead!8-)
    I'm going to wait until next year. I don't feel that this years chips are that much better than last years, and that the next chips will make up for that. Also the GPUs aren't the newest design either.
    It might take more than a year to get a substantial upgrade over the current Xeons. I haven't hear mention of any thing major coming and frankly Intel is under the same pressure to reduce thermal power in these chips as they are in their consumer lines.

As for GPU's well I believe you are right in that 2014 should bring a new family of chips. Even then the question really is how much of an improvement is possible.

I believe that next years models will offer much more performance.
    Well a bit more performance anyways. Right now I don't see a path in that direction unless Apple and Intel are working on a solution using Intels many core technology.

In addition, we are just now seeing Thunderbolt 2 drive towers. I'd rather see a second generation on that.

I'm not even sure whether this model uses Express 2 or the new 3.

At this point you do have to have the personality of an adventure seeker. Not that I believe there is any problem with the tech going into the new Mac Pro but rather when basically the entire platform is new technology you can have issues.
  • Reply 145 of 297
    frank777 wrote: »
    Without a new monitor, Apple's essentially selling half a system.

If they had a "new" monitor, you'd have complained they were forcing you to upgrade. :)
  • Reply 146 of 297
    Why no fusion drive? 1TB is way too little. I'm not complaining, but this really marks the end of the expandable Mac.

I have to agree that the option for more internal storage should be there. I was really hoping that the second SSD port would be available on the "other" GPU card. if for nothing else other than a really fast scratch disk or buffer. I really believe that Apple got it right with respect to bulk storage, but bulk storage isn't the only type of storage users need.
  • Reply 147 of 297

Of course some people are going to do stuff like that, but Macbook Pros are there for portability. Sticking it all in a briefcase as big as the old Mac Pro might be necessary for some people, but it goes against the idea of having a "mobile" device.

Again, the Mac Pro is not a mobile device, it sits on a desk and never moves. It's small size is good for nothing other than wow-factor and Apple's shipping costs (oh and the environment!) My guess is that lots of people would have been much happier with half-decent internal storage.

• Reply 148 of 297
    wovel wrote: »
    That looks pretty tame compared to the folks doing field work with RED 4k raw and trying to slap together dailies on the road.

True!!! On-set digital media management is a vital part of production today.

• Reply 149 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Your whole argument is based on an assumption that is completely false. I have worked on dozens of workstation networks and seen hundreds of Mac Pros in the wild. I can not think of a single one that was not connected to some kind of external storage solution.

You can be critical, but the picture is silly and I suspect you know that.

That stupid picture again. Lol.  Who ever made that picture up is a fool. I agree with you 100%.   I have many friends that work in professional video and there is not one of there Mac Pros that are not connected either to a server storage system, or external storage.  HD video is huge uncompressed, and you could not possibly put enough storage in a mac pro even the old one to be enough. And when 4k video starts really coming on strong it is even larger files uncompressed.  The only way they could make that work is if they build a mac pro the size of a rack system or a refrigerator.  Besides the stupid picture, I use thunderbolt currently and only have 1 cable I use.  Not the mess in the picture lol.

That is so far from reality it is ludicrous.

• Reply 150 of 297
    Of course some people are going to do stuff like that, but Macbook Pros are there for portability. Sticking it all in a briefcase as big as the old Mac Pro might be necessary for some people, but it goes against the idea of having a "mobile" device.

You said "no one is lugging around tons of external hard drives with their macbook pro"

And I showed you one person who does :)

If you can easily pack something up and carry it to the jobsite easily... that's portability. If all you have to do is open the lid of the briefcase and start working... that's portability. A Macbook Pro is still portable even if it travels with other devices.

All laptops need to be plugged into the wall sometime... so does that go against them being "mobile" ?
  • Reply 151 of 297

Oh noes, I exaggerated! It's probably just safest to ban me from this forum. I'll understand.

Please stop intentionally missing the point.

• Reply 152 of 297
    frank777 wrote: »
    Don't make jokes like that. Just don't.....:(  

Sadly I think it is the end of the line for the current Mini design. The question is; does Apple drop it completely or offer up something new.
  • Reply 153 of 297
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Here we go!
    1) I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

2) If it was a success, they wouldn't have waited 2 years between refreshes. Common now, you can't pretend the Mac Pro was a great success. I never called it a failure though, don't put words in my... text.

3) They certainly expect rMBP users to 'deal with HD video' on a internal SSD. No one is lugging around tons of external hard drives with their macbook pro, and if they are, well I'd consider that a fail. Apple aims for the all-in-one package, not "here's one piece of what you'll NEED" to make this useful. I extend that concept to the Mac Pro, which does NOT have the excuse of needing to be small and light.

4) What? Why else would anyone need dual high end video cards and three 4K displays: two of the primary marketing tag lines. Of course people can use it for other things, I never said they couldn't. Don't read between my lines, I write only what I mean, and for the last time, I'm not a hater, just pointing out some flaws.

5) NO! That is not what I wrote; in fact I wrote exactly the opposite. What the heck is wrong with you?! ;)

6) I have never owned a Mac Pro, please stop inferring things. :)

7) Please enlighten us as to how this new Mac Pro  design saves anyone any money, other than Apple on shipping. It's not a low-power machine either; I am not sure why you included that.

8) I am the one writing it, how could it possibly not be my opinion? I hate people who need to hear "in my opinion" before any statement, of course it's my opinion! Of course you are right that Apple's going to make the decisions they think are best, and I am not knocking them on anything but ridiculously low amounts of storage on a 3000$+ piece of supposedly Pro hardware.

1TB is not enough for anything "Pro", and even getting that much is bloody expensive.*

* in my opinion. :)

Noting that you're not helping your argument by calling us girls for liking the new Mac Pro leads you to retort with a comment about feelings begin hurt? Weak. If you're going to troll you'l have to try harder than that.

If you can actually form a salient, rational argument perhaps I will go back and read the rest of your comments from that post.
  • Reply 154 of 297
    Oh noes, I exaggerated! It's probably just safest to ban me from this forum. I'll understand.

No need for banning... but maybe you should stop posting for a while.

Remember when you posted that picture of the Mac Pro with all the messy wires?

Everything went downhill after that...

And your silly replies didn't help either.
  • Reply 155 of 297
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Unfortunately, mine has a stainless steel grid on the top to keep squirrels out.

I hope the Mac Pro has that too!

• Reply 156 of 297
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

No need for banning... but maybe you should stop posting for a while.

Remember when you posted that picture of the Mac Pro with all the messy wires?

Everything went downhill after that...

And your silly replies didn't help either.

0_o

Let me guess, you are new to the internet....

Next time I'll be sure to write my text in between <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags so your feeble mind can know the difference between statements of fact and when someone is making fun of you.

My arguments were perfectly sound, you just don't seem smart or open enough to understand them.

To SolipsismX

To clarify a few things, although I'm sure you'll completely miss the point yet again, I wasn't calling you girls for liking the Mac Pro. I've said on numerous occasions that this new machine is generally awesome. I was calling you girls because you got all emotional on me for making a perfectly valid point against the machine's lack of internal storage capacity options which are:

a) Not nearly enough storage

b) Not nearly enough storage for 300$ more

and

c) Still not enough storage for your first born child. (800$ more)

As for "salient" arguments, and nice use of your thesaurus by the way, I mentioned on multiple occasions that the sedentary nature of the Mac Pro is no excuse for "small and light" being more important than storage capacity, which is a real world usability issue for the kind of people who need the graphics power built into the device.

I am a huge proponent of Apple products, which are generally far superior to the competition's, but you type of "Apple can do no harm" people make  us all look bad. How about you stop posting for a while, or do you enjoy embarrassing yourself?

It's OK to be objective every now and then.

• Reply 157 of 297
    0_o

Next time I'll be sure to write my text in between <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags so your feeble mind can know the difference between statements of fact and when someone is making fun of you.

My arguments were perfectly sound, you just don't seem smart or open enough to understand them.

To <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/150681/solipsismx" id="user_poster_2447821" style="vertical-align:middle;" name="user_poster_2447821">SolipsismX</a>

To clarify a few things, although I'm sure you'll completely miss the point yet again, I wasn't calling you girls for liking the Mac Pro. I've said on numerous occasions that this new machine is generally awesome. I was calling you girls because you got all emotional on me for making a perfectly valid point against the machine's lack of internal storage capacity options which are:
    and

As for "salient" arguments, and nice use of your thesaurus by the way, I mentioned on multiple occasions that the sedentary nature of the Mac Pro is no excuse for "small and light" being more important than storage capacity, which is a real world usability issue for the kind of people who need the graphics power built into the device.

I am a huge proponent of Apple products, which are generally far superior to the competition's, but you type of "Apple can do no harm" people make  us all look bad. How about you stop posting for a while, or do you enjoy embarrassing yourself?

That's a wonderful response. If you had talked like that earlier... and maybe not shown that silly picture... no one would have jumped all over you.

But I would refrain from using terms like "feeble mind" when you're trying to explain yourself. It doesn't help your case.
  • Reply 158 of 297
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    melgross wrote: »
    I was doing commercial photo imaging work. It was some of the overflow from my company.

Things were even more amazing on the high end color part of our business. We had four Barco studio graphics monitors: $16,000....each! Also six Barco Personal monitors at $4,000 each. For lessor work we used 21" Apple studio monitors. They used to be called the poor mans' Barco.

In those days money was nothing for a commercial photo lab. Our clients expected the best. Nowadays, lots of those doing color work have no idea as what they need to be doing. Often, they find spending more than a thousand bucks for a monitor to be too much. And they work in a bright room with the sun to their backs!

I can't even imagine it.

I think it's all about money. I'll reiterate that point. In the 80s, money was no object.

Edit: Oh and by the way, if I had the money, I would by the best money can buy.
  • Reply 159 of 297

I suppose I just got a little bit emotional ;)

Over the years, all 5 of them during which I've been a member on this site longer than you, I've learned to take everything written online with a grain of salt. We're all just to here to discuss Apple products, the pros and cons, and you have to admit that I'm not trolling... Wanting more than 1TB from a pro machine who's last iteration (release 2 years ago!!!) used to be able to house over 10TB isn't that unreasonable. And we all know that thunderbolt enclosures are still real pricey, nor are they warranted given that even SSD read/write at like 500mb/s, muchless HDD read/write speeds that don't even really need Firewire 400.

The Mac Pro looks great, but it's target market seems extremely small to me, because it is simply crippled in so many ways... and I was finally ready to move up from the iMac....

No hard feelings, anyone!

• Reply 160 of 297
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    0_o

To <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/u/150681/solipsismx" id="user_poster_2447821" style="vertical-align:middle;" name="user_poster_2447821">SolipsismX</a>

and

Wow, what a total load of drivel you have posted in this thread.