Standard Mac Pro configurations now ship from Apple in February

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    solipsismx wrote: »
    "It's astonishingly reflective — I can see the screen clearly, and anyone who walks by is immediately recognizable — and it picks up fingerprints really easily."

I'm starting a petition for a matte version¡

Matte? I'm spraying mine metallic red as soon as it arrives and seeing if I can auction it for 7 figures :)

• Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One reason for limited availability could be that the new Mac Pro is being manufactured entirely in the U.S.

Possibly. However when Intel announced the TB2 chipset they said it would start production in 2013 but full production wouldn't be happening until 2014. I am guessing the lack of those chips is playing a large part in the delay given the demand for them is ramping up. Not only from Apple but also from other motherboard manufacturers.

-kpluck

• Reply 23 of 44
    wizard69 wrote: »
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    So any guesses as to their initial stockpile size? It seems like they had a pent-up demand for well over 100k units, possibly 500k. Would be great to see the Mac Pro maxed out for two quarters in a row.

I do worry a little about the tax year spending getting screwed up though due to later deliveries.

Not to be an ass but they probably had less than one hundred. Just enough to meet their launch deadline and not be completely embarrassed. I still suspect Intel is the hold up here.

Really?

I've recently read where quite a few A/V pros have been approached by Apple -- and possibly salting them with high-end units...

I'll see if I can find a link!
  • Reply 24 of 44
    How many were available at launch? 5?

I do agree with Quazze's comments, though. Assembling the MP here could be carving out a path to move more manufacturing back here to the U.S. I hadn't considered the I.P. angle before, but that's a great point. And Apple's robotic purchases means that they wouldn't have to pay union rates either.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tyler82 wrote: »
    This type of labor should go to robots.. repetitive motion labor is the epitome of misery IMO. But at least this misery is paid a little bit more here. 

Darn! You spoiled my Google joke there, being all serious.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Really?

I've recently read where quite a few A/V pros have been approached by Apple -- and possibly salting them with high-end units...

Me, pick me, me me ...(said in my finest Donkey impersonation)
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Really?

Me me me me ...(said in my finest Donkey impersonation)

Donkey-Hote?

• Reply 28 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

So, it's sold out already?

Well, that is not surprising to me at all. This machine is killer. It sure is a sexy looking machine.

I am also fairly certain that the hordes of people making dumb "trash can" comments are extremely envious of the new Mac Pro, and they also know that they could never afford one, therefore these jealous people and losers have to slam what is unobtainable for them.

I also hope that Apple moves more and more towards robotic manufacturing. Screw humans.

• Reply 29 of 44
    Donkey-Hote?

mmmm... mine was more Eddy Murphy ... :D

• Reply 30 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yeah, paying workers living wages and giving them holidays off means you have to wait a couple more weeks than usual. I know, it's hard to be you!

Easily worth it. I'd even pay higher taxes for true socialized medicine.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The Verge got their hands on a unit. And of course the comments section is filled with ubiquitous overpriced trash can posts.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/19/5227466/the-new-mac-pro-2013-hands-on

Can't stop the Mac haters. It's always been that jealousy is all over the place. I don't see any PC manufacturer can deliver a hot product like Apple with Mac Pro...Yeah, Made In USA, baby. Bring it on.

• Reply 32 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This type of labor should go to robots.. repetitive motion labor is the epitome of misery IMO. But at least this misery is paid a little bit more here. 
    To you maybe but some people seem too really like those sorts of jobs. Even people with a little bit more upstairs than usual for a manufacturing operation. I don't really know why but I see it everyday at work.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I also hope that Apple moves more and more towards robotic manufacturing. Screw humans.

Not "screw humans"; focus human labor on work that humans do best instead of lousy work that machines SHOULD do. You're such a humanitarian.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not to be an ass but they probably had less than one hundred. Just enough to meet their launch deadline and not be completely embarrassed. I still suspect Intel is the hold up here.

I'm going to bookmark your comment and will come back here to slap you with sale release figure from Apple early next year. Just wait.

• Reply 35 of 44
    dysamoria wrote: »

Complete ignorance. There is no good reason to use the tax system to support the health of people that don't want to work. With this logic everybody that wants a Mac Pro should get one as a government handout. The problem is half the people getting their government hand out Mac Pro won't have a chance in hell of doing anything useful with it to add to the common good.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    fallenjt wrote: »
    I'm going to bookmark your comment and will come back here to slap you with sale release figure from Apple early next year. Just wait.

I'd like to be wrong but it is my understanding that Apple was pushing Intel hard for the TB2 chips which were not scheduled for launch until 2014. Who knows maybe it was a 1000 machines the point is this high end machine sold out real fast which implies limited stock. This especially considering the next batch is pushed out to February 2014.

Honestly it does look a bit pathetic for Apple, they really dragged this out. The old Mac Pro should have gotten a better update in 2012 to better bridge the gap.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Can't stop the Mac haters. It's always been that jealousy is all over the place. I don't see any PC manufacturer can deliver a hot product like Apple with Mac Pro...Yeah, Made In USA, baby. Bring it on.

Yeah! Can't wait to hear the reactions to Walt Mossberg's Top Products in Two Decades of Tech Reviews

• Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

You sound like that dirty c-word.  You know, ... Canadian!

• Reply 39 of 44
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Not "screw humans"; focus human labor on work that humans do best instead of lousy work that machines SHOULD do. You're such a humanitarian.

I swear I think he is pulling our legs every day. No one is really such an [ redacted].
  • Reply 40 of 44
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Darn! You spoiled my Google joke there, being all serious.

Sorry, I'm not aware of what you meant,
    Was it a jab at Google glasses asses?